Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Battleship - 3/10 - As alien invasion films go, this sits almost at the bottom of the pile.
No hoper bum Alex Hopper with no job, no money and no prospects is bailed out of trouble by his older brother, Stone, to join the Navy and within minutes of the film starting, somehow he's already an officer on board a naval destroyer - so how exactly did this happen? - who knows but his promotion is catapulted even further to that of captain when the alien armada suddenly bobs it's head above the surface and starts doing what alien invasion forces do best, namely laying waste to everything and anything, then asking questions later.
Somehow, captain Alex Hopper finds a way of manouevering a 10 billion ton naval warship like it was a jet ski and manages to outfox a transformer with the firepower of a super star destroyer by playing a digital version of battleships - I mean seriously, WTF?
Word.

Worst alien invasion film ever............ or that I can remember at the moment.

Speaking of alien invasions:

Lifeforce-8/10

Tobe Hooper's little masterpiece from the 19080's is a great homage to British sci-fi film and television and all that is B-grade in that genre. Owing everything to such titles as Quatermass, Dr Who (amongst many others) and all that is pulp fiction (which is really where sci-fi started anyways) this flick has a powerhouse cast and crew for its day.

It even includes Patrick Stewart who may have been looking for work between the end of filming Excalibur, working for the Royal Shakespeare and the start of Star Trek: Next Gen.

I haven't seen this film in many, many years up until now but it's totally memorable and hasn't lost any of the at B-grade homage/pulp fiction magic.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Memorably especially because of Mathilda may and that great rack of her.

:lol: I remember watching that movie as a kid, always been a big sci fi guy, this movie sucked big time but her rack made me watch the whole mess to the end.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
For you Lifeforce lovers I found this pretty amusing. All quotes from the IMDB buffet

This was promoted and filmed under the title "The Space Vampires" (the title of Colin Wilson's novel). However, Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus' Cannon Films reportedly spend nearly $25 million in hopes of creating a full blown blockbuster. They felt that this title made it sound like a typical Cannon low budget exploitation film. The title was changed to "Lifeforce" and it was released in the United States in an edited version which brought in less than half of its production cost.

Ahh typical Hollywood, trying to change things when they really don't need to be changed.

Oh and for you boob lovers, apparently tits mcgee was embarrassed about having starred in the movie.

Mathilda May is said to embarrassed by her association with this project and does not list it on her CV.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Z (1969)
Extraordinary, enriched and powerful film in history mixed with political extortion, unbalanced growth of violence and its dark themes in modern Greek history. The film is bearing masked with full of joints for the assassination of democratic Greek politician Grigoris Lambrakis in 1963 (in between days for WWII). 'Z' is the most vicious answer of all and Costa-Gavras has it.
Grade: A+

Swept Away... by an Unusual Destiny in the Blue Sea of August (1974)
The film is perfect, a pleasure of success filled with screwball comedy, comic sexual appeal between male and female, and all in one hands in a part of the island. Lina Wertmüller's classic vision in the Italian version have never been this good so far. ;)
Grade: A-

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Dawn of the Mummy (1981)
Filmed in NYC in 5 minute scene starter and flee to Cairo, Egypt (signature town of the country), this movie is entirely lame with combination of collaboration between mummies and zombies in this low-budget horror flick or should I say both creatures are in between and a traditional George A. Romero's Dawn of the Dead compensation. The director, Frank Agrama, made suspicious about the film that's why; also there are some poorly acting deceived featuring the fashion models and people in Egypt, slow derivation of screams; the positive way is to like the astonishing gory sequences, and the music of Shuki Levy is so integrating in the art of noise. Mummies doesn't matter on how far frightened you are and no zombies takes place in Egypt at all.
Grade: C-

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Deadgirl - 7/10

One of the most f*cked up movies I've ever seen. Basic premise is that two high school friends discover a a naked girl chained up in the basement of a mental institution. And she's dead. But not really. But dead. And unable to die.

Now think of horny high school teens and a naked girl chained down to a table in the seclusion of an abandoned building. Things happen, and it's disturbing to say the least. Quite a few scenes made me very uncomfortable watching.

But god damn, I was glued in. All the elements of a good movie were there, despite the extremely disturbing subject matter.

But despite my praise I really wouldn't recommend this film to normal people.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
3000 Miles to Graceland-7.5/10

In my opinion this is a classy and funny cops ad robbers flick with enough in it to keep me interested. Good fun. I've seen it before but it still has some sparkle...."thank you very much". ;)

The Lincoln Lawyer-7.5/10

I usually hate legal dramas but this was a Michael Clayton type thriller that kept me guessing and interested. Worth a look in my opinion.

Witness in the Warzone-6.5/10

This '80's drama set in a war-torn Lebanon makes a lot of good social and political statements and is pretty captivating despite the B-grade production values. The themes this move explores are still as relevant today as they were when it was made.... if not more so.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
I Drink Your Blood (1970)
This film is very cheesy and very gory, those hippies are hopefully berserk and they are rabies that terrorizes the inhabitants, mainly inspired by the family of mass murderer Charles Manson. Keep your eyes peeled for this particular cult horror favorite grindhouse (in my opinion).
Grade: B+

Swing Vote (2008)
Grade: C

Man on a Ledge (2012)

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Sentinel 3/10

It's hard to believe that this got a theatrical release. It has TV movie written all over it.

The two male leads phone in their parts and I don't know why Eve Longoria even bothered turning up. Not her fault, her part is so badly under written that I can only conclude that at some point late in script development a suit demanded that a female character be included in a "central" role and the scriptwriters just took a third of Kiefer Sutherland's lines, handed them to the new character, polished away a few rough edges and bang - one finished script.

Tension? Well they've heard of it but they're keeping it for another movie.

I really do wonder why this movie got made. It is by no means the worst movie ever made (very far from it) but it seems to have the stench of failure in every aspect of its production, from second rate, overage "stars", slack, uninteresting direction and a poor script. Did no one ask for a reality check?

Johnny English Reborn 7/10

Another high mark that I never saw coming. My 11 year old loved every minute of it (target audience methinks).

I didn't expect to see spoof and pastiche of things like Batman Begins (which was great and actually had some relevance later in the movie).

Naturally, there was a lot for Bond aficionados and the more extreme Mr. Bean tendencies of Rowan Atkinson's character were avoided.

Things dragged a bit about half/two thirds of the way through but picked up satisfactorily towards the end.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Wes Craven's The Hills Have Eyes (1977)

Monster (2003)

Kit Kittredge: An American Girl (2008)
Grade: B

Push (2009)

Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
Grade: A

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Redacted. 8.5/10

A docu/drama set in the U.S. war in Iraq focusing on a small squad of soldiers manning a checkpoint. I wasn't really sure what I was going to be getting, [Hurt Locker, Jarhead, Black Hawk Down, it ain't; not that they're particularly good or anything] but it was directed by Brian De Palma so I thought it was worth a watch.