[UT] Making Music 1: MP3s to UMX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Goldwave maybe.
Modplug if you want more control over the result. Builtin EQ, Bass Expansion, Surround seperation will make it sound better. Save as 16, 24 or 32bit wav.
Only 1mb unzipped so what's not to like?

Monday..

--------
Apr 3, 2005
The_Cape..... get a voice-pack maker for UT, they are on BeyoundUnreal.com or another UT site, i'd like to give you a Link for the 1 i've got but i've had it so long I can't remember where from.... ;(

lol they are great....

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Do you realize that this thread is 1 year old?
And not only that, you post the same link twice.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Kantham said:
Do you realize that this thread is 1 year old?
And not only that, you post the same link twice.

That's not so depressing as the amount of wav/mp3 > .umx threads.

It's like pulling out the engine of a car and attaching a horse - you've got this awesome, streamlined and game controllable format - and people just gank an .mp3, convert to an even crummier quality wav to make it a half-way managable (but usually barely listenable) size.

Either -

1. Learn to track yourself

2. Find someone who tracks and collaborate. :)

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
modules > all :(

You could have a 30 minute long module in full stereo with 16 bit samples weighing in at 100kb, and you'd be able to have the game play it dynamically instead of a simple start to finish.

Shame that they got forgotten imo. Imagine how neat it'd be with gamer soundcards with intergrated softsynths, with enough memory to fit some samples and play the game's tracks live, allowing you to have them practically "generated" on the fly. Assuming several tracks share the same sample library, the tunes would be like 40kb.

Couple favourite tunes of mine:
"we have explosives" remix by darkhalo, 4:50 long at 1mb
"Scrap Metal II" by MrD, 3 mins at 500kb

and some random tune at 5kb just because.

I was into tracking a while ago myself, but made nothing worth posting :<

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Fuzzle said:
modules > all :(

You could have a 30 minute long module in full stereo with 16 bit samples weighing in at 100kb, and you'd be able to have the game play it dynamically instead of a simple start to finish.

Shame that they got forgotten imo. Imagine how neat it'd be with gamer soundcards with intergrated softsynths, with enough memory to fit some samples and play the game's tracks live, allowing you to have them practically "generated" on the fly. Assuming several tracks share the same sample library, the tunes would be like 40kb.

Couple favourite tunes of mine:
"we have explosives" remix by darkhalo, 4:50 long at 1mb
"Scrap Metal II" by MrD, 3 mins at 500kb

and some random tune at 5kb just because.

I was into tracking a while ago myself, but made nothing worth posting :<

Hey Fuzzle! :)

A couple of nice tracks, love the dirtyness of the first one, the distorted drums are great. :D

The second takes me back to Sonic 2 and Hydrocity zone. old school :D

Yeah, I always felt like it was a complete backward step when they ditched a fully integrated and controllable format for .ogg, especially making the music non-pushable, so if you had a custom map on a server, you'd not get the music (at least, I've never seen a server push it), which for me was one of the bonuses of playing random custom maps online.

I first got into tracking by playing around and remixing forgone from facing worlds, from there I started trying to convert some of the old midi stuff I'd recorded over to it with mixed results.

Some of my favourite maps I've made I've spent more time on the music than I have the actual map.

My most recent UT map is symptomatic of this haha :D

If you still got UT (or modplug/winamp) check it out -

http://nalicity.beyondunreal.com/map_hub.php?mid=9130