should i continue these?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
a couple of maps i've been working on at home. been trying to find some unique way of making my own maps, and try and get a theme into them. i've worked on a CTF/BR theme for now.

i've seem to have latched onto the idea of demonstrating 'terrority' with lighting colours. what do you guys think of this? too bland? makes map strange?

Number 1: new work: Alaskan Refinery.
Snow based map with a heavy smoggy sky (least i hope its going to come out smoggy). about 10% completed currently building Refinery platforms and wonderinf how to do animated smoke.

number 2: Volcano Dugouts.
Strange rock formations allow players to climb routes or fall to a warm soup of death. orginally was going to be a dig site exploring an ancient city in a Volcanic Island, not got round to designing or making it look 'ancient'

Number 3: Karp's layout for the Chainmap.
about 80% completed, was my first jump into UED3. i think its below average. first part was ready for the chainmap project... which seemed to have died so i just thought what the heck, see what its like when its done.

Attachments

• AlaskanRef.jpg
    AlaskanRef.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 79
  • half caves.jpg
    half caves.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Karpmap.jpg
    Karpmap.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Thrawn70

Hang-around
Jun 11, 2002
Unknown Regions
Visit site
The lighting the terrain seems kinda funky. I'd prefer having posts or beacons or something that matches the theme showing up every once in while with a light, sign, or other item giving you a clue as to which base you're in.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Yeah exactly. Is what you need to get a grasp of is sources. Light doesn't just come out of nowhere. It has to have a source. So if it's an ouside level first make a light for the sun that will light the whole terrain area. Make it the color that the sun would give off. If it's the moon at night it should slightly blue tinted. Then you add light posts signs etc that give off light. Give those red colors, and make sure those team lights are everywhere so I always can figure out what base i'm in.

Also using textures with colors in them works too. There are several textures that might be metal with a red or blue stripe. Those can be helpfull.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
coming from a skilled mapper like TWD... ;)

It is truth...although I think you should go with the level of ambience that feels right for the level. Maybe it's day with HEAVY cloud cover and they have colored spotlights the map over... In fact I say release the map when it is something you would play yourself. All the n00b maps out there I would be surprised if the people that made them would play them a second time... If you would play the map, it is likely alot of people would.

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
I say:
Keep going with the ideas you have, doesn't matter what 'mappers' think :) If it's a fun map, runs well and has a good theme to it then that's what we all want.

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
BAMPF!

done a bit more on/off work on these,
Alaskan refinery.
i added some bunkers... which screwed it up and now back to just a terrian on there. abandoned for a few days/months/years...

Volcano dugouts.

tidyed up the rocks and added a hole for sunlight to create an amazing middle area (see picture). also looking for some decent bridge static meshes for the middle to complete a BR version of this map ( i plan to release CTF/BR versions first, if theres a demand i will bring in a DD version too)

Karp's chainmap.

finally got the stairs finished and decided that would make a good flag room. all stairs and rooms are finished, just needs some sexing up with decorations and static meshes. also needs middle section digging out for a BR spawn point.
added another bottom level entrance to half circle/flag room.

Attachments

• Caves-very almost done.jpeg
    Caves-very almost done.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 31
  • chainmap2.jpeg
    chainmap2.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 27
  • chainmap almost.jpeg
    chainmap almost.jpeg
    54.9 KB · Views: 17