decorations vs. non solids for processor work

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Ok I've made several new plant decorations in milkshape for ut. They are very "leafy" and perfect for jungle levels. What I want to know is which will slow down a level more, alot of high poly decorations (similar to ut's plants and trees) or a bunch of non solids made to look like bushes and trees. I intend to make the levels as series of (yes you guessed it) rooms and hallways textured and filled with plants so as to keep poly count as low as possible and still look like a jungle. I want to make jungle levels using things that look like actual 3d plants as opposed to masked sheets covered with jungle textures ripped off from rainbow six (note: although this technique does work incredibly well to produce a seemingly thick jungle, two masked sheets=! poof! a thick jungle).

smally

Jan 30, 2000
Weaverville, NC USA
Visit site
Unfortunately adding alot of model/actors like trees and such will wreck your level's performance. Say you had a level with about 160-200 polys in a view, Well add about 10 of one of the standard looking tree's from UT and my guess is that would be pushing a pretty decent system to the limits. So if you're thinking about having, what, maybe 20-40 plants visible? Well that sounds like quite a challenge. This is the very reason you see alot of these outdoor levels done that use the 2 intersecting sheets to make plants & such.

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Thanks

I got a pretty good system so I was not sure what my limit would be I f I released the map. Thanks for the info. I was planning on getting around the problems by having lots of "twisting hallways" nicely textured and filled with plants so you would never see much above 120 poly's and in the open areas toss in a couple simple buildings and an old incan temple to help block the view. Sure it won't be a sniper's dream but at least we will finally have a playable jungle level.

tarquin

design is flawed
Oct 11, 2000
UK
www.planetunreal.com
it's been said before, but it's worth repeating:

wait for Unreal 2!

The demo vid they released a while back showed entire forests of trees (drool).
In the meantime, you might be better off using the current engine's strengths -- you could do a map that gives the impression of being in a jungle by having the players in a building & able to catch glimpses of jungle scenery through windows...
maybe the sort of textures you see in ArcaneTemple for the indoors, with pools of water with that floating leaves sheet on it.
You wouldn't need much outside to set the scene: some big leaves blocking off most of the window for a start :)
Also look at the CTF Eternal Cave. go into fly mode & go right up to the top of the large areas where the bases are.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Well, Unreal2 might look good for outdoor, but what is it going to be like for singleplayer games? I mean look at Unreal1, it had variety, U2 looks too... well, high tech, nothing to divide the disgusting hightech crap, I want some Nali. :(