Epic Games and Chair Entertainment Announce "Infinity Blade"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The first iOS release by Epic Games and Chair Entertainment, previously known as "Project Sword", has now been given an official name. "Infinity Blade" will be available this holiday season, though no other details have been released on the game so far other than a few screenshots and some video. The video is part of an Apple TV promo for the iPhone and can be seen here at about the 18s mark.

Taking handheld gaming to new heights, the graphically intense "Infinity Blade" features adrenaline-fueled sword battles and epic boss fights set in the realm of a fully 3D castle. The game's robust single-player mode features an intuitive combat interface and simple touch controls which enable hardcore and casual gamers alike to engage in fun, furious battles. As play progresses, players gain experience, build stats and earn more powerful items to prepare their knight for the final encounter with the game's nemesis, the God-King.

Additional content will be released free of charge via planned updates, including a fully integrated multiplayer mode, which enables players to find friends and other challengers to battle online via Game Center.

The press release also indicates that Epic Citadel, the free tech demo of the castle area that was released during the Apple press event in early September, has been downloaded over a million times. Considering how impressive it looks, this should come as no surprise.

As usual, full press release in the comments thread.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
PIC GAMES AND CHAIR ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCE

UNREAL ENGINE 3-POWERED “INFINITY BLADE” FOR iOS DEVICES

Forthcoming Action-RPG Set to Deliver Epic Sword Battles on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch this Holiday

Cary, N.C. and Salt Lake City, Utah (November 2, 2010) – Epic Games, Inc. and its award-winning Salt Lake City-based development studio, ChAIR Entertainment, today revealed the new action-RPG sword fighting adventure, “Infinity Blade,” will be available for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch this holiday season. Originally introduced as “Project Sword” during the September 2010 Apple Special Event in San Francisco and featured in the latest ad campaigns for iPhone 4 and iPad, ChAIR’s ground-breaking new game will be the first to bring the power of Epic’s Unreal Engine 3 to Apple’s world-class gaming platforms.

Taking handheld gaming to new heights, the graphically intense “Infinity Blade” features adrenaline-fueled sword battles and epic boss fights set in the realm of a fully 3D castle. The game’s robust single-player mode features an intuitive combat interface and simple touch controls which enable hardcore and casual gamers alike to engage in fun, furious battles. As play progresses, players gain experience, build stats and earn more powerful items to prepare their knight for the final encounter with the game’s nemesis, the God-King.

Additional content will be released free of charge via planned updates, including a fully integrated multiplayer mode, which enables players to find friends and other challengers to battle online via Game Center.

“More than one million people have been introduced to the world of ‘Infinity Blade’ through our free app, ‘Epic Citadel,’ and soon everyone will be able to play our first fully featured game for iOS devices,” said Dr. Michael Capps, president of Epic Games. “With ‘Infinity Blade,’ ChAIR has created an amazing looking, incredibly fun game that really demonstrates the potential of triple-A mobile gaming.”

The pricing and official release date for “Infinity Blade” will soon be confirmed.

To learn more about “Infinity Blade,” follow @InfinityBlade on Twitter and ‘Like’ “Infinity Blade” on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Infinity-Blade/163584600328189.

About Unreal Engine 3

The award-winning Unreal Engine is known for its cutting-edge graphics and best-of-breed toolset. Unreal Engine 3 maintains those features in addition to multi-core processor support, Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 optimizations, massive world support and a highly mature tool pipeline. Unreal Engine 3's consistently evolving toolset is designed to accelerate developers' productivity for PC and console games, mobile games and applications, training simulations, visualizations and real-time 3D animation. Additional information on Unreal Engine 3 can be obtained through the Unreal Technology website at www.unrealtechnology.com.

About Epic Games

Epic Games, Inc., based in Cary, NC and established in 1991, develops cutting-edge games and cross-platform game engine technology. The company has created multiple million-selling, award-winning titles in its “Unreal” series, including “Unreal Tournament 3” for PC, PlayStation®3 and Xbox 360®. Epic’s "Gears of War" franchise has sold more than 12 million copies worldwide and won more than 30 Game of the Year awards. Epic's Unreal Engine 3 is the four-time winner of and Hall of Fame inductee for Game Developer magazine’s Best Engine Front Line Award. Unreal Engine 3 has also been recognized as the number one game engine by Develop magazine. Additional information about Epic can be obtained through the Epic Games website at www.epicgames.com.

About ChAIR Entertainment

Founded in 2005, Salt Lake City-based ChAIR Entertainment is a subsidiary of Epic Games, creators of the blockbuster “Unreal” and “Gears of War” video game franchises and the industry-leading Unreal Engine 3. Most recently, ChAIR released the modern and masterful side-scrolling shooter, “Shadow Complex,” published by Microsoft Game Studios exclusively for Xbox LIVE Arcade. The critically acclaimed “Shadow Complex” received numerous E3 and Editor’s Choice Awards and was named Game of the Year by more than 40 media outlets. Prior to that, ChAIR released the award-winning underwater action-shooter, “Undertow,” for Xbox LIVE Arcade.

Epic, Epic Games, Gears of War, Infinity Blade, Shadow Complex, Unreal, Unreal Engine and Unreal Tournament are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
iPhone game as a full project for two companies? Really? Next thing we know, we'll have 'Unreal Contest' exclusively on iPad/iPhone...

inferyes

Spaced In
Aug 16, 2009
Ugh casual games.

Put this on the 3DS or PSP 2 and It'll be fine. Iphone gameing will never evolve past scribbling and swiping randomly on the screen. Touch controls are just to finicky and annoying to deal with.

Try playing Cube on the iphone. You will tear your thumbs off after about 2 minutes of running into walls.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
well there is already a supposed webOS port of UE3. If an Android one came around I expect you'd see the game on all platforms.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
I think the problem here for some of us, is not the kind of game this will be, for being a phone game

I wont rant for this about if this is an AAA or a casual game for being released on a phone/portable system, this is not my problem,

my problem is not so about what i think about the game, but the fact that you have to have an apple device to play it.

I mean, as some above said, this could be ported to other phones or tablet devices, because lots of them (tablets) are coming on 2011. But it seems, at this moment, that there have been certain behavior of exclusivity between epic and apple, with the release of this game and the citadel demo. Maybe they made some kind of bussines? I dont know.

What i know is that I definetly will not be buying an apple device to play this.
I will buy a tablet next year ( it will be a windows 7 one, ), if they release this for my tablet , i will buy it, if not, not.

It just like gears. I haven played gears 2 because i dont have an xbox.

Last edited:

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
I think the problem here for some of us, is not the kind of game this will be, for being a phone game

I wont rant for this about if this is an AAA or a casual game for being released on a phone/portable system, this is not my problem,

my problem is not so about what i think about the game, but the fact that you have to have an apple device to play it.

I mean, as some above said, this could be ported to other phones or tablet devices, because lots of them (tablets) are coming on 2011. But it seems, at this moment, that there have been certain behavior of exclusivity between epic and apple, with the release of this game and the citadel demo. Maybe they made some kind of bussines? I dont know.

What i know is that I definetly will not be buying an apple device to play this.
I will buy a tablet next year ( it will be a windows 7 one, ), if they release this for my tablet , i will buy it, if not, not.

It just like gears. I haven played gears 2 because i dont have an xbox.

Just to be devils advocate here

I imagine that people who own a MAC could say the same thing about them not getting almost every pc game that were fortunate enough to get to play.

I'm not saying it's right just pointing it out.

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
[SAS]Solid Snake;2475860 said:
Sucks having to buy a PC to play PC games, sucks having to buy a XBox 360 to play XBox 360 games, sucks having to buy a PS3 to play PS3 games ...

People should make games available on EVERY PLATFORM damn it.

I know a guy who likes to play cards.
He has no hands.

:D