ut goty crashing

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

revolt04

Dec 31, 2008
hi everyone

nice to see the ut community still alive here

as i got new pc, i wanted to play ut goty again

unfortunetaly it crashes every time on whatever os

either xp pro or vista x64

i actually heard that "little" dual core issue when ut is launching

i ve followed any instructions

however it still continues getting crashes

i may have under less 10 whole secondes before crashing

it sounds like game doesnt support both cpu working

for the mention, i have intel dual core E2200, ATI Readon 4850 HD, 4 gb of

ram, Asus P5Q PRO as mobo

using xp and soonly vista 64 bits

thx in advance

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
May we assume that you have updated all of the drivers (graphics, sound, OS (inc DX))?

Have you patched the game to V4.36? Or, reapplied the patch?

I'm slightly concerned that it sounds as though you've applied a dual-core fix as that was for AMD CPUs only. I have no idea what (if anything) that will do on Intel CPUs.

Finally, you need to post a screenshot of the crash message and the contents of the UT log file (found in /UnrealTournament/System/ or similar).

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
OK, so we don't need a dual-core fix
The issue is specific to AMD CPUs AFAIK. I've never seen an Intel version of a fix.

For what it's worth, running UT quite happily here on an Intel Quad - no fixes applied. :)

or add anything to the INI files for Intel CPUs?
Nope. You will still have to fix the command line to set the CPUSPEED but you shouldn't need to touch the ini file because of the CPU type. CPU performance e.g. framerate limiting etc., yes but not because of the type.

revolt04

Dec 31, 2008
a bit late for replying due to end of year

i will give more details about game crash (this is only ut tried on pc, maybe i need to test another game)

just for being quick,

1. installed ut goty 436 version + new open gl 3.2 version
2. got dual core fix stuff and set affinty manually as they recommended me to do
3. updated to the latest version concerning my graphic cards drivers
4. in fact, ut doesnt only crash. it lets pc causing freezes. i have no choice, i must eventually reboot
5. jeez cry i love unreal series but that ****ing issue let me moving off. i would never play such game who even ****ed window (must format or repair on dos)

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
1. installed ut goty 436 version + new open gl 3.2 version
There is no harm in re-applying the 4.36 patch just make sure that the key system files are OK.

By "new open gl", do you mean the one found here?

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Note that the latest version of that driver is 3.4. For some reason, you seem to have installed an old version. I suggest upgrading to the 3.4 version.

I would also install the Direct3D8 renderer version 1.4 (as long as you don't want to use the editor) as it might be that D3D will work where OpenGL will not.

As a general point, it is probably better to go back to basics and see if you can get UT running reliably in software rendering mode first and then we can add features (like OpenGL) until things stop working again. Curiously, we will be doing well when your problem turns into uneven framerates, slow and fast play. That is one we know about. :)

2. got dual core fix stuff and set affinty manually as they
recommended me to do
By "dual core fix stuff", do you mean the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4 found here?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html

If so, then I strongly recommend un-installing it. That utility is for AMD CPUs and not for Intel devices. I would not be surprised to discover that the AMD utility is at the root of the problem.

3. updated to the latest version concerning my graphic cards drivers

Good. :)
4. in fact, ut doesnt only crash. it lets pc causing freezes. i have no choice, i must eventually reboot
Is there any content in the UT log file after this? If so, can we see it?

revolt04

Dec 31, 2008
By "dual core fix stuff", do you mean the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4 found here?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html

If so, then I strongly recommend un-installing it. That utility is for AMD CPUs and not for Intel devices. I would not be surprised to discover that the AMD utility is at the root of the problem.
it seems like a small update of unreal tournament.exe
anyway same size of kb

There is no harm in re-applying the 4.36 patch just make sure that the key system files are OK.

By "new open gl", do you mean the one found here?

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Note that the latest version of that driver is 3.4. For some reason, you seem to have installed an old version. I suggest upgrading to the 3.4 version.

I would also install the Direct3D8 renderer version 1.4 (as long as you don't want to use the editor) as it might be that D3D will work where OpenGL will not.

As a general point, it is probably better to go back to basics and see if you can get UT running reliably in software rendering mode first and then we can add features (like OpenGL) until things stop working again. Curiously, we will be doing well when your problem turns into uneven framerates, slow and fast play. That is one we know about.
i tried both (latest opengl version and new D3D) for same result

Is there any content in the UT log file after this? If so, can we see it?
nope ut gets pc freezing
its not only a simple crash as usual
let me show you what its truly hapened
launching ut, starting offline game
first step then suddenly got an huge freeze
i couldnt see anything just only a big "zoom" on a texture from map
i have no choice couldnt return on window, need to reboot asap

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
it seems like a small update of unreal tournament.exe
anyway same size of kb
Sorry if I'm being slow about this - did you update the UT executable with a "dual-core" fix?

I've never heard of such a thing (doesn't mean it doesn't exist:)) and I've certainly never seen anything other than the AMD fix (which is an operating system fix, not a game fix) being recommended for use on AMD processors.

Please, can you remove the "dual-core fix" and restore (if necessary) the original UT executable?

At this point, the important thing is to get UT running in software render mode - Forget about OpenGL or D3D and we don't care if it runs fast/slow or whatever for the moment - we'll fix all of that later. We need to fix the crash first and at the moment it sounds as though you are either running inappropriate software (the AMD fix on Intel CPUs) or some hitherto unknown patch to the UT executable. Either of those scenarios sound good for a fatal crash.

revolt04

Dec 31, 2008
ok i ve done what you adviced me

i actually meet any problem while i am launching game

that s a good point

but ut still crashes after randomly either 30 min or 2 maps played

however i was cautious i disabled most of hazardous options

any idea about it?

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
but ut still crashes after randomly either 30 min or 2 maps played

After that amount of time there ought to be a log in /UnrealTournament/System/. Can we see it please?

however i was cautious i disabled most of hazardous options

You need to provide us with a little more detail!

Which options have you disabled?

Does the crash happen in XP or Vista or both?

With this crash, are you seeing a freeze or a crash back to the desktop?

At least we are making progress. :)

revolt04

Dec 31, 2008
ok

first of all

i ve installed ut as you told me

fixing safe mode first

i did

downloading latest opengl, switching ut to 436 version

i did

does UT sill keep crashing

i tried with no dual core fix ut (ut executable), enablig high priority of ut processus, setting afinity

however ut got pc freezing i couldnt back on window since everything goes down

i am checking any log may help

please wait some :)

revolt04

Dec 31, 2008
after checking another case close to mine, i heard something interesting
it s not cpu dual core issue as i thought
apparently my sapphire 4870 HD does it
they recommented to flash it

edit: problem gonna be resolved, it needs to flash bios from latest sapphire version,
for some reason, Sapphire radeon 4870 HD brings a plenty of troubles like freezing, black screen, pixels...

Last edited: