How do i make a climable ladder in UnrealEd?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
K

Kronick07

I am making a map with a gaurd tower that has a ladder that i made that goes straight up from ground to top. I have played other levels that allow you to climb a ladder like that. Can someone help me by telling me how and what i should do to allow a player to clim it?

Thanks!

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Unreal Doesn't really "support" ladders. The levels you've played might have had a bit of UScript. I have seen "ladders" build using two methods.
One simply zoned off a small portion near the ladder and made it a low gravity zone. The other built "rungs" with sheets like this.
-
--
---
----
-----
Each one a little longer than the other.

My suggestion, the way you make it sound (pretty high up) is to just make a lift. A player can accidentally move out of a lg zone and the rungs would stick out pretty far at the botton.

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
The second way is the best but the ladder can only be about 1 floor high or it will be unrealistic because the lower rungs would be too far out. There is a beta map out at http://www.geocities.com/villagemapsmith/dm-Stratosphere_Beta.zip that I just looked at to see how he did his ladders. He basically made the ladder but overlayed it with an invisible staircase with steps that look like they are only about 4 units deep on their tops. He made the stair case a mover instead of solid geometry I guess to keep from having problems with the overlay technique. The mover doesn't move at all. I guess you could make it semi-solid and achieve the same effect though.

K

Kronick07

Hmmm... well i dont think i am going to do the rung method. It dont look too good. The gravity zone might work, but can you come down? And if i do take in consideration of making a G-zone, can you tell me how to make it? Well, the map i saw the ladder made in was a DM map. It takes place on outer streets. Are you sure that it can only be done with scripts? In Unreal I the first level has a ladder that you got to go down to get to the next level. Anyway, if anyone knows the script, plz tell me and see if you can help me put it in correctly. I realy need it. An elevator is too big, and it ain;t THAT long a way up, but stairs would kill the look too.

Thanks!

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
:confused: Unreal 1 doesn't have ladders!! What you mean is just a opening in the floor. I read s.th. about a mutator which makes surfaces climbable but i don't know its name or where to get it.

I recommend the invisible stair technique. The steps must have the maximal height and minimal width.
Use normal cube brushes to build the ladder itself and the rungs.

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
The map I mentioned above has a visible ladder that Looks like a ladder. Then it has an invisible staircase that is what you actually climb. Wheel of time has climable stairs and walls but I haven't opened the maps up yet to see how they do it. You could make a small water zone next to a wall if you want to make the wall climbable. Only problem is you get the annoying splash sound that you can't turn of. Gravity zone really wouldn't work because you can't control your player like you could in a water zone. Unfortunately others would see you do the swimming animation as well.

FatAsss

Jan 26, 2000
Visit site
you can turn off the splash sound, and the swimming animations,
they use a zone like that in DM-pyramid. just copy their zoneinfo file and put it in a enclosed space around a ladder

MorituriMax

DM-Pyramid regular map, argggg

Grin, figures.. I hadn't played them in so long I forgot it was there.. kept thinking egyptian theme...

I checked it out and they use a Nitrogen Zone marker for that area.. strangely though, it doesn't seem to damage me even though there was a damage value listed... did it just take a long time to start hurting you?

Might be the one to use though, movement allowed up and down and without the cloudiness of a water zone..