New UT2004 Stuff

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
We reported yesterday that scans of a large UT2004 preview from the Dutch gaming magazine PC Gameplay had been posted over on the Atari Forums.

While the Dutch article doesn't reveal a wealth of new UT2004 info, Steve Polge's answer to this question is rather interesting (thanks to hans_vdc for the translation).

PCGP: will there be some other new weapons, next to the already annoucned spider mines?

SP: for now there will be four new weapons (spider mindes included). there will be a rocketlauncher specifically designed to take out vehicles. you'll be able to guide this rocket to the target. there are also sticky mines, which you can fire and so they stick on other players or vehicles and last but not least after popular demand, the traditional sniper rifle makes a comeback.

So there you have it -- a new rocket launcher for taking out vehicles, as well as the return of the trusty sniper rifle.

We also grabbed some screenshots from the scans posted on the Atari forums, cleaned them up a bit and have posted them below for your viewing pleasure :).

Aircraft

Hovercraft

In-game 1

In-game 2

In-game 3

Robot

Skaarj

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
So enough people bitched and complained about the sniper rifle, and Epic gave in. Let's hear it for change, you whining pussies. :shake:

djpaul

Jan 9, 2002
Visit site
A proper Sniper rifle, spider mines, guidable rockets - you could pay £30 for UT2004, or download Chaos UT2 and have (eveything but the spider mines, in this build), for free.

What seems most sensible?

djpaul

Jan 9, 2002
Visit site
RaptoR said:
You're overlooking the small matter of vehicles, the new player models, two huge new game modes and 40 new maps, plus improved netcode and voice chat support.

Yes. But the only end-user-noticable test of netcode is if it significantly decreases - the user notices the delay. I suspect this statement might be referring to Karma, which is a big beast to replicate at the moment (which they'd need to address as these new vehicles use karma). Very little/no Karma is replicated at the moment, therefore we cannot notice an "improvement" if we've nothing to base our (new) observations on.

Voice chat is always welcome, as are playermodels and the vehicles.

How many maps do you play on frequently? Not as many as 40, i'd guess.

Playermodels are different, as these are download less than map, so this is welcome.

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Gah!

Nemephosis said:
So enough people bitched and complained about the sniper rifle, and Epic gave in. Let's hear it for change, you whining pussies. :shake:

Agreed. The sniper rifle was dropped from from UT2003 for a reason.

Epic really needs to think more carefully about who they listen to, before they start making changes that hurt the balance of the game.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Well Epic mentioned a new sniper rifle, but they didn't mention they'll be removing the Lightning gun from tdm and ctf. You can't have spidermines in tdm and duels so...
Lets just wait for official words

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Well considering they already said Xan was coming back (so now it's Xan AND the old sniper rifle, why don't I just go play UT again :rolleyes: ) I don't think it's that impossible.

The Twiggman

Instagib 4 Life
Hehe, thats sweet dude. Xan rules. Anyways I didn't even know there was more gametypes in this version. So thats a little better now. But still I think they should have all the weapons from all the series. Like a nice pile to mix and match. How much can that be. And the replay value will be up there in there end.