INF_SCAR Release Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

STELLAR 7

Why the urge to improve yourself?
Nov 17, 2005
RC21 *OFFICIAL* Release 9.9.1

Download INF_SCAR_RC21.zip

* Fixes from RC20 *
-HELLHOUND DP #3) Damage radius was squashed on some servers after the crash fix
-Prevented SCAR info changes from other SCAR pickups affected by manual changes

* Fixes from RC19 *
-HELLHOUND wall penetration potential crash fix
-Smaller 40mm smoke trail
-Black smoke trail for Type92

* Fixes from RC18 *
-INFserver.log warning unwanted function call fix (attempt #2)
-Invisible weapon bug fix (attempt #2)
-Reload animation sequence skipping fix (attempt #3)

* Changes from RC18 *
-Added PaintFinish initialization sound

* Fixes from RC17 *
-Major INFserver.log warning GetInit function call fix
-HELLHOUND penetration fix

* Fixes from RC16 *
-Loadout menu display mesh skin fix
-Reload animation lag fix (attempt #2)

Installation Requirements:
1) UT v436 and INF 2.9 (or INF 2.9 Community Edition)
2) INFMOD Weapons 1.5.1 pack (included in INF 2.9 CE)
3) INF Bonus pack (included in INF 2.9 CE)

NB: UT's graphics driver must have UseS3TC=True for high resolution textures to show up properly,
namely, the ACOG reticle. If the reticle is really blurry, type 'preferences' in the console
and look for UseS3TC under your graphics driver in the Rendering tab. Chris Dohnal's OpenGL/D3D
drivers usually have this set by default. Download from http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Installation:
1) Extract the contents of INF_SCAR.zip into UT's System folder (UnrealTournament\System).
2) Run INF and select INF - SCAR from the Mutators list.
3) Create a SCAR loadout and launch a mission.

Loadout:
Automatic rifles
FN SCAR-H Mk.17 Mod 0 (SOF Combat Assault Rifle)

Light Variant:
To use the SCAR-L variant,
add FN SCAR L-Conversion Kit-Mk.16 Mod 1 (SPC).
Use the 6.8 SPC Magazine.

Aimpoints:
Cycle through dot colours by holding Aim and pressing Switch Weapon Mode.
Cycle through dot types by holding Aim and pressing Reload.

Trijicon ACOG with DOCTOR Optic SportSight:
Toggle between scope and aimpoint by holding Aim and pressing Activate Attachment.
Toggle ACOG reticle illumination on/off by holding Aim and pressing Switch Weapon Mode.

Reloading (An Aesthetic feature):
Holding the reload key any time before a new magazine is inserted will recycle the bolt
and eject the old chambered round.

HUNTIR (High-Altitude Unit Navigated Tactical Imaging Round):
Shoot with EGLM and select HUNTIR Console to view the camera.

MEI BlackBerry HUNTIR Console:
The MEI BlackBerry HUNTIR Console is listed under Equipment.
Add it to your loadout. Select it like a weapon.
Fire key toggles through the list of active cameras.
AltFire key toggles night vision on/off.
Note: HUNTIR HUD aligned for resolutions between 512x - 1280x with 4:3 aspect ratio.

INF_SCAR.ini:
------------
BulkFactor - SCAR loadout bulk is multiplied by this factor. (Server-side)

DotColor - corresponds to the aimpoint dot colour:
red=0; amber=1; green=2; blue=3; violet=4; white=5; black=6 (Client-side)

DotType - determines aimpoint dot type:
old dot=0; new dot=1; crosshair=2; cross-circle=3; circle-dot=4 (Client-side)

PaintFinish - initial paint job (overrides loadout paint finish):
OFF=-1; tan=0; red=1; green=2; orange=3; fuchsia=4; rainbow=5; white=6; black=7; gold=8; indigo=9 (Client-side)

Command Lines:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
<factor>=any real number
<color>=red, amber, green, blue, violet, white, black (OR 0-6, respectively)
<type>=0, 1, 2, 3, 4
<finish>=-1, tan, red, green, ornge, pink, rainbow, white, black, gold, indigo
(OR 0-9, respectively)

eg. To make a SCAR loadout half as bulky..
mutate scarbulkfactor .5

eg. To change the aimpoint dot to the old amber..
mutate scardot amber 0

eg. To change the aimpoint dot to the new red..
mutate scardot red 1

eg. To spray paint the SCAR red..
mutate scarpaint red

eg. To resume loadout paint finish..
mutate scarpaint -1

Last edited by a moderator:

-=]N[=-WWE

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Great weapon.. heres some pics

Shot0003.jpg

Scar Heavy version with acog,black skin. Very nice weapon and very accurate.

Shot0008.jpg

The Acog scope
Shot0005.jpg

Huntir Parachute Grenade
Shot0007.jpg

Incendiary grenade plus reflex sights
Shot0006.jpg

direct hit with the hellhound grenade. body explodes. army green camo on scar but round ended.
Shot0009.jpg

using the reflex option looking over the ACOG scope. ****ty screenshot quality tho
Shot0001.jpg

Here is the Scar Light version with reflex sight, silencer, red skin and grenade launcher. Steve took this pic.

Overall great weapon with a lot of variability and options. great work!

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
I've been loving this rifle since Roadstroker pointed me to the beta on the INF 69 forums. This is truely a nice rifle, and the sheer number of customisable features is great. This is really good work!

First you brought us the M60, now this... god i hope you keep at it! Before i found this rifle i hadn't played INF in months, now i play it 4-5 times a week. It's really got me back into INF, and reminded me just how much i enjoy it, despite the poor AI. Thank you!

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
Ohhh groovy! Nothing like a brand new kickass weapon to inject some new life to INF... gotta coop a lil more these days ;D

Thanks a lot Inigo! Its really a breakthrough with all these new features! A pitty Geobob gave up (due to IRL issues, don´t blame ya man) the SA80 family mutator...

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Some screens for detail

Overall I like it. Something feels a little off with the model. It feels a little flat but maybe that an't be helped with the engine. Maybe a different XYZ placement but I like it alot. It's fun to play with :D

Attachments

• Shot0148.jpg
    Shot0148.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Shot0151.jpg
    Shot0151.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Shot0152.jpg
    Shot0152.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Shot0153.jpg
    Shot0153.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Shot0158.jpg
    Shot0158.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 55

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Some screens for detail

Attachments

• Shot0161.jpg
    Shot0161.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Shot0167.jpg
    Shot0167.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 46
  • Shot0168.jpg
    Shot0168.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Shot0170.jpg
    Shot0170.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Shot0171.jpg
    Shot0171.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
First, I would like to say that I like this gun a lot. A lot of nice options, a totally new feature (the huntir), the changable reflex dot color to choose, so we can choose a different color if the active one cannot be seen well in the environment, a weapon with a useable iron sight, and other things.

What I like most is the collision of the weapon. Finally I have the feeling of wielding a long thing in my hands, again. No strafing through a door with aimed rifle, having to actually choose a good firing position on a hill, so the gun does not get stuck in the floor...

The smoke puff coming from the gun when using a supressor, is nice, too. This way we get at least a chance to fight back the bad guy (still need to see it when someone else fires).

There are some things I am not sure about, though:

The fire grenades:
a) the fire stays when a round ends, so if you are really unlucky, this could mean one team spawning inside a fire in the next round.
b) the fire itself looks a little reddish, this could be realistic though if the burning material creates some kind of color within the fire. Would be nice to get some input here.

*edit, ok, seems like they might use red phosphor for this, someone got a video link somewhere?

The 6.8 SPC ammo:
At first I thought it is too powerful, but after some reading I think the damage is about ok. Though I am not sure if the recoil should not be higher, at the moment this round has about the same recoil (judging from muzzle climb (!)) as most 5.56 rifles in the game. Maybe increase it a bit (or is this gun featuring new recoil / climb reducing technical details?).

The 7.62 ammo:
Similar things realized here, while the damage is about like a FAL (a little lower so its not one shot kill, but far more than a g3 (the supressed damage is about the same damage as the g3)), the recoil is just a little higher than the g3.

The grenades:
The flight path is...well, a little short. I have real problems to deliver the huntir to the other side of the map to get a real view.

I don't see any finger movement when using the grenadelauncher.

Keep up the very nice work!

Last edited:

STELLAR 7

Nov 17, 2005
The major bugs have been squashed. RC19 is the definitive version. Thank you for playing.

Corporal_Lib [BR]

Brazilian Graphic Designer & Gun Nut {=)
Shame on you Jason, don´t ya believe in my gospel? ;D just kidding, you´d better give a lil hop on the still active servers and taste INF´s new flavor over the years (like a good aging wine)

Inigo, many kudos for you! Now pesk Crowze to include this in the INF CE update!!!!

Last edited:

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
I know I already mentioned this on the 69erz forums, but I think IIRC I didn't really get a comment on it and it still strikes me as odd: The 40mm grenades smoke trails are, as far as I could research via internet, not present on actual 40mms; is there any evidence some 40mms do have smoke trails, or is it just as special FX add-on?

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
After fidelling around with *the other 40mm* (hellhounds) I know why no one comments on the other nades :p.

They do not share the same flightpath.

The hellhounds fly straight and easy, and the normal HE/Huntir fly a lot shorter. Can we have them share the same flightpath, please?

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Actually the M441 are extremely useful for closer quarters as found on many COOP maps, due to their short arming distance - plus in this application the difference in flight path isn't too important. I wouldn't mind same (smokeless) flight paths though.

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
Bug:

It can happen that players spawn buring next round if fire grenades are used, even if they are not next to the still present fire from the round before. I do not know the exact conditions, but saw it happen twice within 10 rounds of using fire grenades.

On the flight path:

With the hellhound flight path the m441 will still work for that application. Biggest problem might be the huntir. At the moment you cannot really shoot it far enough to be of a real use. The hellhound flight path will give it the range, but will cut the flight time very short and I am not sure if you can see a lot then. Maybe just copy paste everything from the m203, instead of reworking it 243 times till it is ok.

STELLAR 7

Nov 17, 2005
Someone trained and experienced with 75 firearms once told me that there was a trace of a visible smoke trail on 40mm projectiles. Even offline, you can see that the INF team put in a smoke trail for all 40mm; however, it is not as pronounced as the one I used. Either way, it's more of me trying different things with this weapon.

For the HUNTIR, it was difficult to find a good way of making it usable on most maps that have their sky ceilings too low. I tried the HUNTIR with the same trajectory as the HELLHOUND, but it often hit the "sky" too soon. And when the sky was high enough, the HUNTIR ended up too high to see anything clearly. So I opted to have it "drag." The HUNTIR and the HELLHOUND travel at the same speed mind you, 80 m/s. The Type 92 fires at 76 m/s, and the M441 at 75 m/s.
The HELLHOUND and the Type 92 have a more correct trajectory in translation from their muzzle velocities. You can see that the Type 92 can reach 400 m. The max effective range for most 40mm in reality is 400 m. However, INF's standard 40mm has a drag variable active that inhibits it to fly far. It looks like a heavily influenced Stokes' law, but too much in my opinion. INF's 40mm HE speed is also too slow, 67.5 m/s. The drag effect was removed for the M16A4 and M4A1, but they kept the same slow speed. So, the difference in trajectories is due mainly because of drag. The HELLHOUND and the Type 92 simply have none, while the HUNTIR and M441 do. I felt it was a good balance for the HUNTIR, and fitting for the M441 since it's more of a close range ordinance.

Lich:
The burning effect has been taken from the M16A4's, and because it's not a weapon or item, it doesn't disappear at the end of a round. It disappears when the player class disappears. So it will work if there's a pause before spawning, ie. dying and then spawning. If you survive on fire at the end of the round and only if there's no wave time, then you will unfortunately spawn on fire because your player class has been kept active. To correct this, you can add a small wave time to add a pause before spawning, but most tdm servers do not put a wave time because reinforcements are normally not used for that gametype. I think I would have to modify the gametype to fully correct this, and at this point, there's no point.

By the way, the standard 40mm HE is the M406, the M203 is the name of the underbarrel grenade launcher :p
There are advantages to having a more curved trajectory. You can lob grenades easier behind cover.

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
Ok, a pity that the fire thing is so difficult to fix. But well, in the end it will not happen often. So its an annoying but rare issue, seems like we must live with it, like with other bugs in INF :).

And yes, I was more thinking of the lauchner than the grenade. Maybe not totally correct...

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Someone trained and experienced with 75 firearms once told me that there was a trace of a visible smoke trail on 40mm projectiles. Even offline, you can see that the INF team put in a smoke trail for all 40mm; however, it is not as pronounced as the one I used. Either way, it's more of me trying different things with this weapon.
Well, from the videos I was watching it seemed there was a smoke "trail" from the muzzle of the launcher but it didn't seem long - I would have guessed it's the propellant charge remains, but the grenade itself didn't have a visible trail, so if there is one it's definetly less pronounced than actually implemented for the SCAR - since I never noticed Infs 40mms to have smoke trails I guess that fits what I expected. While I'm not against doing things differently in general, I'd prefer Inf weapons to be made as close to reality as possible and the current 40mm smoke trails look very cartoonish to me [no offense intended].

STELLAR 7

Nov 17, 2005
Updated due to server crashing from HELLHOUND explosion; penetration moved from HitWall() to Explode(), so it only explodes once.

- Lich -

Jul 1, 2004
What about the stuff I mentioned in my last PM *bump*. I mean, while you fix one thing you could do the rest, too.

STELLAR 7

Nov 17, 2005
Updated again today.. The crash fix produced another bug that broke the HELLHOUND's damage on some servers. Current revision is today's 9.9.1.

Lich, check your pm.