Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Possible. I play on UK London, but haven't been on for a couple of days now.

At one point I was playing heavy offence with juggerfat and lmg and this guy kept trying to kill me. I was 2 kills of "The Slayer" before the game ended, basically just killing that one guy. He tried pretty much every class to kill me but didn't succeed.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The new Brute primary weapon one-shot my Shrike, then, my character current position was irrelevant to my actual position on the server. I could see my projectiles being fired from a blank spot in the map.

Nice bug.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Anyone played the new updates yet? I shazbundled to unlock all 27 of the new items. I'm loving the new Technician and Infiltrator SMGs (though they run out of ammo painfully quickly).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Chain Cannon variant is my favorite. I kind of like the Saber variant, direct hit is 750, I think it's fine but yeah, better make a different loadout and keep the other in, because you're going to have a hard time taking down a Shrike with that thing.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
My experience with Tibes since the update.

h195J.jpg

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Chain Cannon variant is my favorite. I kind of like the Saber variant, direct hit is 750, I think it's fine but yeah, better make a different loadout and keep the other in, because you're going to have a hard time taking down a Shrike with that thing.

The new one is great for HoF. Blasts pathfinders into oblivion.

Real men take out Shrikes with the repair gun - I managed to actually do that today.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The new one is great for HoF. Blasts pathfinders into oblivion.

By oblivion you mean shooting the flag stand as they fly by? It's 750 on direct hit, and even if you manage to direct hit it's likely not enough to one-shot kill unless the pathfinder is already wounded.

Real men take out Shrikes with the repair gun - I managed to actually do that today.

Stationary?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
By oblivion you mean shooting the flag stand as they fly by? It's 750 on direct hit, and even if you manage to direct hit it's likely not enough to one-shot kill unless the pathfinder is already wounded.

It throws them with ridiculous velocity. I've killed them by them simply impacting on walls after a good hit.

Stationary?

Jetpacked and landed on top of it (which is a feat unto itself, really). Maxed out repair gun does something like 90 damage with triple the rate of an SMG. It's a surprisingly good anti tank weapon.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It throws them with ridiculous velocity. I've killed them by them simply impacting on walls after a good hit.

What are the odds.. :p

Jetpacked and landed on top of it (which is a feat unto itself, really). Maxed out repair gun does something like 90 damage with triple the rate of an SMG. It's a surprisingly good anti tank weapon.

Dude, pretty sure that anything RED who's physically touched my shrikes insta-died.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
What are the odds.. :p

Pretty high. On Arx Novena as an example (where I was using it), the flag is situated between two very close walls, and most approachers come in parallel to those walls.

Dude, pretty sure that anything RED who's physically touched my shrikes insta-died.

No, you can stand on top of ANY vehicle, friendly or otherwise. You will be killed if you hit the vehicle if you are both travelling in opposite directions and your relative velocities are sufficiently different.

It's easiest with tanks; approach from behind it, then so long as it is not reversing towards you, you can safely land straight on top of it (now the turret can't hit you either). The repair gun will tear a tank apart at this range. The hard part is getting on top of the tank without it spotting you, and it's made more difficult because they rarely sit still anyway. An Infiltrator can do this quite easily since it's fast and can stealth.

Edit: Just to prove you can land on vehicles, I looked up exactly how it works in the files;
Code:
/**
 * RanInto() called for encroaching actors which successfully moved the other actor out of the way
 * @param	Other 		The pawn that was hit
 */
event RanInto(Actor Other)
{
	local class<UDKEmitCameraEffect> CameraEffect;
	local float Speed, DamageAmt;
	local TrPawn TrP;
	local vector Momentum, PushDirection;
	local TrPlayerReplicationInfo TrPRI;
	local TrValueModifier VM;

// Determine the direction to push what we ran into.
	PushDirection = -Normal((Velocity * vect(1,1,0)) cross ((Other.Location - Location) * vect(1,1,0)));

// Determine relative velocity.
	Speed = VSize(Velocity - Other.Velocity);

//UNRELATED STUFF

// Try to fetch the other's player controller.
	if (Other.IsA('TrPawn'))
	{
		TrP = TrPawn(Other);
	}

// Are we at the minimum run-over speed?
	if (Speed > MinRunOverSpeed)
	{
		Momentum = Normal(Velocity) * Speed * 0.25 * Pawn(Other).Mass;
		if (RanOverSound != None)
			PlaySound(RanOverSound);

// Apply damage to people not on the same team.
		if (!WorldInfo.GRI.OnSameTeam(self, other))
		{
			// How much damage?
			DamageAmt = Lerp(m_fPawnMinDamage, m_fPawnMaxDamage, FPctByRange(Min(Speed, m_fPawnMaxDamageSpeed), MinRunOverSpeed, m_fPawnMaxDamageSpeed));

It then calls TakeDamage in the usual Unreal way.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
No, you can stand on top of ANY vehicle, friendly or otherwise. You will be killed if you hit the vehicle if you are both travelling in opposite directions and your relative velocities are sufficiently different.

Interesting. You say opposite directions, I ram anything running away from me, it dies. I have a few occasions where the flag carrier nearly match my top speed, ending in me colliding with the flag carrier dealing no damage.

Edit: Just to prove you can land on vehicles, I looked up exactly how it works in the files;

I agree with your theory, but to stand on a enemy, non stationary Shrike? I did notice players ridding shrikes will eventually fall down when the pilot isn't flying in a straight-ish path, shouldn't that push them off the Shrike and kill them?

The best way I can explain how I understand the collision system, is really jerk-y, and unpredictable with latency.

The new patch is awesome. SMG nerf ahoy!

I see some people still complaining about them.

Take the Plasma. They nerfed it, it's still 500 on direct hit, NJ5 now does 140 dmg top. That's minus 40, yet it doesn't make much any difference, because the fire rates and ammo capacity didn't change.