Secure?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Query

Oct 28, 2004
I'm not a coder and am just wondering how secure Unreal scripting is? On one server alone I've joined I've had 10+ things downloaded. I've heard aimbots and stuff can steal your registration key, so what's to stop other scripts from doing so? Does it have read/write and ip limitations? What about the registry? It's my first game that seems so, um, big and unrestricted. I run Win2k if it matters. Thanks for any answers.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
UnrealScript can not access the Windows System Registry
also UnrealScript has a very limited freedom concerning access to files, it can not read files, and has a very limited ability to write files (only files in the UserLogs dir with extentions: txt, log, htm, html)

In other words, UnrealScript is quite secure (in terms of: it's up to you to judge who you can trust).

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
they can steal your cd key if you download them from a shady site... (the download itself might come with a virus or something that takes teh cdkey)

at least from what I know...

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
JonAzz said:
they can steal your cd key if you download them from a shady site... (the download itself might come with a virus or something that takes teh cdkey)

at least from what I know...

Thats quite different, but yeah, if they included a Trojan with the aimbot install that would be possible, but it will only effect the person using the infected Aimbot, it wont be able to steal it from others he/she is playing against, UT doesent send and recive the kind of packages needed to do something like that.

Jun 23, 2004
www.jumpinjuggernuts.com
ppl download executable files which then install much more than an aimbot. So it isn't the unreal script component, I believe, but the windows file, that the user is trusted to install it. But I really can't say that I'm positive.

Moomin~

Sep 14, 2003
helsinki.fi
lastsplash.com
Some versions of Helios' hooks were rumored to steal keys, but that wasn't true (and they haven't got anything to do with UScript).

Though he apparently had some Active X crap on his website that tried to find the keys.

Serves the botters right, I reckon. :p