Anyone try the Logitech G7 Wireless Mouse yet?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Hey peeps, just wondering if anyone out there has tried Logitech's latest wireless mouse: the Logitech G7. If so, what do you think of it, compared to corded mice of course.

Thanks, Prozac :)

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
The G7 isn't weight-adjustable, right? And it doesn't use batteries, so it will be light? I'd like a cordless mouse, but weight is a more important factor for me, so I think I'm ordering a G5 next week.

ALG

Gallardo
Jul 26, 2005
WI, with the other pro gamers
imo for gaming the cord of the g5 is such an improvement over other cords in that it never gets in the way that there is no need to go wireless.

Last edited:

evlj0n

Nov 27, 2005
Santa Ana, CA
I bought it and took it back. You get a little bit of lag because it's cordless. Another thing is that the batteries seem to run out real often, and it gets annoying switching them. It comes with two rechargeable batteries which supposely last 4-10 hours but that is not true. I would recommend the G5. It's $40 dollars cheaper, and feels better.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
Ooh, so it does use batteries? Nm anyway, your claim that it can lag coupled with ALG's reassurance of the G5's uber-cord has already confirmed my decision :).

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
evlj0n said:
I bought it and took it back. You get a little bit of lag because it's cordless. Another thing is that the batteries seem to run out real often, and it gets annoying switching them. It comes with two rechargeable batteries which supposely last 4-10 hours but that is not true. I would recommend the G5. It's $40 dollars cheaper, and feels better.

hmmm thanks for the recomendation. I was sceptical of wireless lag, but I was thinking of buying a G7 anyway because I read a lot of reviews of it and ALL of them said there was no noticable lag at all and it was perfect for fast paced FPS games. So are you saying that all of those reviews are lying or they just not good enough to notice? The only bad thing about they mentioned about G7/G5 was the middle button a bit hard to press and theres only 1 side button.

Also, a friend of mine who happens to be one of the best Quake3 players in my country (New Zealand LOL) uses a MX1000 and he thinks its great and has no lag.

But then I never actually tried any of these mouses so I cant be sure, anyone else had actual experience with these wireless mouse?

ALG

Gallardo
Jul 26, 2005
WI, with the other pro gamers
EggBoy seems to have poinnted out the one problem with the G5. When I game there is no problem with the middle mouse button, but when I web browse in firefox and try to open a new tab with middle mouse (quite often) its often a tad bit annoying since you have to press down and back, not just down.

Nereid

・ ω ・
Apr 15, 2003
Vancouver
Here's my review on the G5. I imagine the G7's the same, except for the lack of adjustable weights (but it's heavier due to the battery) and the cordlessness. I recommend trying out the MX518 or the MX1000 (if you like cordless). Of course, try the G7 as well.

If you can, see if you can borrow one, or buy one and then return it. Good stores let you do that.

Last edited:

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Ok, well here's what I've got to say.....:lol: JK. I have these mice:

1. Logitech MX510
2. Logitech MX1000
3. Logitech G5
4. Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (Matrix Green)
5. An old Logitech ball mouse :lol: :eek:

I actually started with the MX1000 and really loved it, but there was so much hype about corded mice for gaming that I decided, at the time, to get the best Logitech corded mouse that was on the market: the MX510. I loved both mice but I think that there was minimal difference in the accuracy.

But to put it to the acid test, I conducted an experiment as follows: I decided to play 10 1v1 matches with each mouse all on DM-Rankin. All variables were the same except for the mice themselves.

First I played 10 matches in a row with the MX510 and wrote down the scores of each match on a piece of paper, then I played 10 matches with the MX1000 and wrote down those scores. I was suprised, but here are the totals for each mouse:

MX510 - average score 6.3 kills
MX1000 - average score 5.4 kills

Basically the corded mouse only outperformed the cordless mouse by 1 kill. To me this seems neglible, I could see if the number were larger - say 4 kills more, but not just 1 kill.:sniper:

In my humble opinion, I think the corded mouse theory is overrated. Sure if you want to get technical, you might say well 1 frag can win or loose a game, and that is true. But will it really be that dependant on the mouse? I don't think so. Now that I've said all that, I really love my G5 mouse - it rocks :rockon: but I still don't like cords and one day I will find the right cordless mouse I believe. Untill then - for anyone that want's yet another recommendation the Logitech G5 is simply the best corded mouse out there;)

This has been, |-c2c-|Prozac, reporting in for WBUF Radio, "where the rock is in the talk" :D :2thumb:

Thank you and good night, Prozac

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Renegade Retard said:
It's kinda like the "corded gerbil" theory
Invented by Richard Gere if I'm not mistaken.

Anyways, I don't have much to add other than the lack of a second thumb button was the deal killer for me for the G5. I'm using an MX518 which I got after the right-click died on my 510.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Renegade Retard said:
It's kinda like the "corded gerbil" theory, where you tie a string to a gerbil's tail to keep him from getting stuck in dark places. ;) :eek:
:lol:

It's not so much the one kill that matters, but that you're noticeably less efficient with a wireless mouse, and that will translate to being less good with all weapons. Using UTComp to measure accuracy values would be a better test because sometimes bots get a little ridiculous with the things they do, and other times they'll miss several times even at close range. Maybe try something like lightning gun arena with god mode on and measure your average accuracies and see how those differ.

In the end, it's all down to preference, really. If you don't care that you're less efficient with wireless because you hate cords, then go wireless. If you want to play at the top of your game, go corded.