TF2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
UT3 is much more spam filled than TF2. TF2 forces reloading on the "spammy" classes, and each class is good and bad vs. other classes... How spammy could it be?

Medics and heavies only dominate when a team doesn't know how to coordinate classes properly. Pick a spy, get behind the medic, and kill them both instantly with two backstabs. Not that difficult. Or snipe the medic in the head and the heavy will fall eventually, especially if a pyro gets near him. If you rush a heavy head on you will die. That's kind of the point.

Newbz!

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
UT3 >= CoD4 >= TF2 == Trynant's boolean for liking mp shootahs

Call me really crazy, but I like Unreal Tournament 3 over Team Fortress 2. Both are really great games, but UT3's crazy fast-paced action just wins me over the crazy slower-paced action TF2 offers.

Anyways, that's a whole other topic, I like TF2 a lot. I try to play as a class I suck at so I get a challenge. So I play a lot of Pyro, with some Scout to follow.

Does anyone have some advice on how to play the Pyro? He's a weird class for me.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
By the time you kill the medic, the heavy has almost killed you so you can make a dent in the heavy just in time to die and have the medic come back and heal him while you're waiting to respawn! FUN!!! :D

Just how many games have you played where heavies are dominating the map? I have yet to see this in my 40 something hours of playing. Heavies are absolutely useless at any kind of range, and they are very, VERY easy to pick off with a good soldier, sniper, spy, or even a demoman. And considering that pubs usually have more than one soldier per team, it would be a good idea to communicate to them and get dual rocket launcher attacks against any incoming medic/heavy combos.

If you go on the steam forums, you will notice that there are virtually no complaints against heavies being overpowered. The main complaint you will see there is soldiers getting critical rockets.

To Trynant:

As a pyro you want to be a sneaky bastard, like the spy. Hide behind corners where you know enemies will come out of. Never run directly into the open alone. Let your team charge forward and kill themselves while you hold off for a bit and wait for the opportunity to move up without being seen, or while the enemy is running for health.

Good news for pyros is that Valve is tweaking them so they will be rewarded not only for killing enemies, but damaging them as well.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
They do get some reward for damage, so they can be useful for blitzing control points. A kamikaze rush setting multiple enemies on fire can weaken them considerably for others to pour in after you've died. Plus you might kill someone anyway.

The flamethrower is the most powerful close-range weapon in the game, so you should use it accordingly. The pyro has almost zero long-range capability, so don't ever rush into things straight or you'll get taken down easily. Ambushing is the name of the game. Even if you don't kill someone, being on fire often causes the enemy to retreat to find health or a medic. They can take down sentries quickly too, but you've naturally got to get close first.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I think Brizz complaining about the Heavies is just a way to let us know he doesn't like the game by adding a longer stance than "The game sucks" :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Just how many games have you played where heavies are dominating the map? I have yet to see this in my 40 something hours of playing. Heavies are absolutely useless at any kind of range, and they are very, VERY easy to pick off with a good soldier, sniper, spy, or even a demoman. And considering that pubs usually have more than one soldier per team, it would be a good idea to communicate to them and get dual rocket launcher attacks against any incoming medic/heavy combos.

If you go on the steam forums, you will notice that there are virtually no complaints against heavies being overpowered. The main complaint you will see there is soldiers getting critical rockets.
I've only played a half dozen games, but I've seen it in each one.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
A spray I just made.

seizurewarningye0.jpg

Thread | Flash

Last edited:

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Anyone else been playing this game? Fun stuff.

It's great fun, I'm an engineer most of the time. Nothing beats owning incomming enemies with a full upgraded turret. In combination with a dispenser and repairing it alot it's nearly indestructible.
I went wicked sick (I love the servers with the UT sounds) with 26 kills with 1 turret the other day :)

I really hate the spies though, how can u recognize them when they are in disguise?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
There are several ways.

• By their actions (or inaction, more accurately). They cannot attack or their disguise will drop. If someone's acting funny, shoot them, as only good things can come of it.
  • You cannot walk through them. If you bump into someone instead kind of of slide through them, they're a spy.
  • Their cloak will shimmer when they run into someone or get shot by a stray bullet.
  • They can be shot when disguised, so it's not a bad idea to randomly shoot your teammates if you're unsure. This works very well as a pyro.
  • They leave a team-colored trail behind them if they're stupid enough to teleport, and that color will not match your team's.
I think that's pretty much it. However, as an engineer you're at a disadvantage, especially since they can sap your sentries. Pyros are the best anti-spy class. If no one notices and allows a spy to get all the way back to you and your fully-upgraded turret, there isn't a whole lot you can do. That's what happens with "rock, paper, scissors"-style balance in a game. Uncloaked and undisguised a spy is not much trouble to take down, so after one attack they're pretty much done for if anyone is still alive near him.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl

I thought repairing the turret/dispenser counters a sapping spy. If you succeed the spy will either die or he is an easy target for the turret or my shotgun.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Rock, Paper, Rocket Mounted Turret

I thought repairing the turret/dispenser counters a sapping spy. If you succeed the spy will either die or he is an easy target for the turret or my shotgun.

Same here, I find that a good Engineer safeguards his constructions, when he sees the sap placed he can identify the spy and shoot him down with a shotgun. The Spy can't fight back or he'll get wasted by Mr. Turret of Doom.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
As an engineer, you're gonna want to make use of that handy dandy wrench when those infinitely sapping spies come by. One or two swings usually does the trick, that wrench crits quite a bit.

Building in corners forces spies to stand in front while sapping, making that wrench kill even easier. You probably already know this, but before building, you can rotate the blueprints of the sentry, allowing it to point towards you which makes it easy to put deep into a corner.

Another way of identifying a spy is by name. Quite often the name tag of a player will be the same as mine. It doesn't get any more obvious than that.

Otherwise you should just shotgun check any players that have not directly come from the spawn room. Shoot them at least 2-3 times to make sure, spies don't bleed so you won't know if you're damaging them until you kill them. But if you really want to make sure, just run into them. If you get stuck, wrench that bastard. If you pass through, it's a team mate.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
If you have a good team size does not hurt to spare a Pyro to guard Engineers and their sentry guns, as long as you got a dispenser you got a good supply of ammo and health.

Occasionally torch people of your team color that come near, sometimes they turn out to be spies. Other times just torching thin air will light up a cloaked spy trying to sap all the gear!

Funny thing, I fired up TF 2 last night and there was some douche medic healing the spies on our team. Don't understand why some people are retarded and blow the cover of friendly spies.

But it's always fun when an a lone enemy medic heals you while your in disguise then return the favor by backstabbing them... even funnier if you tell them you are spy like so... http://youtube.com/watch?v=29RE0blCV84 :lol:

Also the stuff from Team Roomba is hilarious: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUPzN7tp7bQ

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Spies are easy to spot and kill. The most obvious clue is the fact that you can't pass trough him, you shot or melee him for humiliation. Also, if one of your allies take cover when you shot him, that's a spy. And it's lol'able. If there's a bunch of your teammates in one spot with sentries and all that stuff, I recomend you use a scout and run around, you may often collide with some allies, just shot them and get a kill. I did that really often. Oh and the pyro is a spy killer. If you're playing spy, avoid them.

I got to resist some enemy fire when I played spy, I didn't move when the engineer shot me, so he went away thinking I was one of them, and I just killed him. He must have been upset.

... even funnier if you tell them you are spy like so... http://youtube.com/watch?v=29RE0blCV84

Yeah that video is kick ass. Reminds me of the game I had yesterday in CTF_well. I played as a spy disguised in Heavy, I was injured and called for medic support. The medic healed me. Then I just killed the medic and heavy standing in front of me, and ran away.

Kinda priceless.

I can confirm TM's word on the engineer's wrench being a pain for spies lol. Also another good thing to do when engineer, is to jump over your sentry when it got sapped, that way your chances of getting killed are really slim, and by the time you repaired your sentry, I don't think he'll want to get his colt out and shot.

Last edited: