It's a cold day in hell...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
It's true. I've officially joined the XP club. I "liberated" a copy from my brother this morning. :D

DesktopXP.jpg

I'm happy to say, I never had to register anything with Microsoft either. So far, XP seems like the best parts of 98 and 2000 rolled into one spiffy looking OS.

-Keiichi

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
It's the little things that count. I like the hi-res desktop icons and transparent text fields...

Example:
Icons.jpg

I like the larger minimize, maximize, and close buttons...

Example:
Buttons.jpg

And I especially like how on-screen fonts have been softened and enhanced...

Example:
Text.jpg

However, I haven't tried any games with it yet, so I can't say whether it's more efficient or not. With all these fancy graphical effects, I'm having doubts...

-Keiichi

Dank

Mac Guru
Sep 18, 2000
Genesis 1:12
When I first saw that I thought to myself....."WOW that looks just like a mac GUI"

Mac OS X has all that stuff and more. :D

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
You don't have to register XP for 50x booting or 30 days. After that period the only thing you get is a prompt to enter your 'activation' code(or what microsoft calls it..

A friend an myself checked the MS homepage for that; basically you can 'activate' your copy by web or by phone.
Don't know how it works exactly, but it checks your computers hardware and looks if anything (bigger) has changed - if so it cheases to work until activated again..

And if better icons/desktop graphics are all XP can do, then I'll stick with 98..

Snakeye :D

BrownyMan

Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?
Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
Originally posted by DankBudz
When I first saw that I thought to myself....."WOW that looks just like a mac GUI"

Mac OS X has all that stuff and more. :D

I know what you mean the moment I saw it, I said to myself, "woah Keiichi got OSX!!"

Then I saw the start bar.

But I must say it seems to me Windows and Mac OS are getting more and more alike with each passing year.

Keiichi

Old Timer
Mar 13, 2000
You don't have to register XP for 50x booting or 30 days. After that period the only thing you get is a prompt to enter your 'activation' code(or what microsoft calls it..
Well, it already prompted me to enter a CD key/activation code when I upgraded. I've recieved no messages stating that I have 30 days left either. I think that's BS.

I can get most of those eye candy effects by using Stardock's Object Desktop. And then I don't have to pay $200 for XP.
Who said we paid for it? :p

Hypocrite bastard! :p
I said hi-res icons, not hi-res period. :p

-Keiichi

Donnellizer

Fjæsing!
Jun 17, 2001
Ocean Grove, NJ
Visit site
Originally posted by striderteen
I can get most of those eye candy effects by using Stardock's Object Desktop. And then I don't have to pay $200 for XP, and I don't contribute to the weakness of the Internet by having a system with user raw socket access.

Where can this be attained?

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Hmmm...well I just installed XP and got the latestest DETs. I used to run it with Vsync off, no problem-- but now I'm getting the stupid tearing on occaison. I >never< used to get it. That's one thing I don't like.

I still gotta tweak around...it may have just been the new drivers I got.