newbie to multiplayer (and that means only multiplayer)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mean Thief

Nov 25, 2000
Visit site
i wan't to have a multiplayer match with my neighbor and i have no idea how to do this can anyone help, i don't want to play over the internet just to let u's know
all i want is the steps like
u know

eagleAR

Nov 25, 2000
if u wanna play through phone thendo this
1. set ur ip address(let 191.0.0.1) different from ur neighbour(127.0.0.1) by changing tcp/ip properties
2. start dial up server
3. ur neighbour call u & connected
4. either u or ur neighbour start new multiplayer game & other connected to it
I used to play Q2 with my friends like this

Mean Thief

Nov 25, 2000
Visit site
i guess cable like i said i am new to multiplayer
so i put
1. multiplayer
2. start game

neighbor
1. multiplayer
2. open location

wow that seems more easy then i thought now to see if it works!

JuiceEggsMcKenna

MC68060/50
Aug 31, 2000
Australia
clivebarker.net
OK, here's the non-internet way to do it.

1. Designate one of your PCs as "The Server"
2. On the server machine, install the Windows component "Dial Up Server"
3. On the client machine, create a new Dial Up Networking connection with the phone number of the server machine guy's modem.
4. On the server machine, start the Dial Up Server. Setup passwords etc.
5. On the client machine, run the connection to dial the server machine.
6. Once connected, run UT on the server machine and "Start New Multiplayer game". Set everything up as you would for a LAN game but don't select "Optomize for LAN". Start the game.
7. On the client machine, run UT and select "Find LAN games". The server should appear on the list.

Happy fraggin!

Mean Thief

Nov 25, 2000
Visit site
ok JuiceEggsMcKenna
u say : Designate one of your PCs as "The Server": i know what u r saying then u said :On the server machine, install the Windows component "Dial Up Server": my com is goin' to be the server but what do u mean install the Windows component "Dial Up Server" i don't know where that is

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
Dial up server

Depends on your windows version. Win98 and up you add it as a windows component under add/remove progs, windows setup tab, communications.

Win95 rigs need to install the DUN 1.2 or 1.3 update which includes add the server function.

In Win2000, you goto network places and a select add a network connection. A wizard fires up to step you through setting up dial up server.

In the above installs, you must also configure tcp/ip for use over the dialup connection to play. Netbeui or ipx no gonna cut it.

Mean Thief

Nov 25, 2000
Visit site
ok i have win98 and i found everything u's said but i need a manufactures disk and i don't have anything, i tried my system restoration cd and nothing, i tried my windows 98 cd and nothing, and i used to have all this stuff but a long time ago my com crashed and loss every bit of information it stored so...............what do i do now?

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
When it asks for the CD and if it's not the original install source, you will need to use the browse button to select the source file location.
For example:
CDromdriveleetter:\win98\
Would be the path on your win98 CD. Give it another try, or resign yourself to being a guest on your buddies' server.