what's so great about uwindows?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I really don't understand this. There's nothing great about uwindows besides the fact that you can have multiple windows open at the same time (which is completely useless to you)... So why do some people want it so badly?

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
It's cleaner, more customisable, more moddable and less console-like.

Personally i used to like being able to have multiple windows open. It's also a 'spirit' of UT thing.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
edhe said:
GAH! dont listen to that INA tripe! UWindows wasnt cleaner, it was a bitch to customize, and modding it was on par with pulling teeth.
Whats so wrong with a 'console' look anyway?

Last edited:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
edhe said:

I think you're about 1/2 right.

It's not cleaner, UWindows was more complicated than needed and if anything the current interface proves that.

It may be more customisable. Yippee.

It was less moddable, it was a mess to mod for, it hated to talk to anything and was an invitation for bloated, ugly, buggy code.

It was less console-like. Not sure why everyone thinks that is somehow the best possible thing though.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I don't really give a crap what the interface is like as long as it is
1)Fast
2)EXTREEMLY easy to customize.

Uwindows was definatly not either of those. While the ut2003 menu system was a bit better in both respects it was nowhere near where it should be. The new system appears that it will fill both requirements so what's the big deal? I say screw uwindows we can do without it.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
TWD said:
I really don't understand this. There's nothing great about uwindows besides the fact that you can have multiple windows open at the same time (which is completely useless to you)... So why do some people want it so badly?
Good question,the only people who were complaining about the loss of UWindow were mod coders.Mod coders are generally nerds who tend to be in adoration in front of abstract useless systems (Operating systems,object oriented languages,Uwindow,etc..)

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
TaoPaiPai said:
Good question,the only people who were complaining about the loss of UWindow were mod coders. Mod coders are generally nerds who tend to be in adoration in front of abstract useless systems (Operating systems,object oriented languages,Uwindow,etc..)
... the only people complaining about the loss of UWindows are the people who dont code.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Yes now that you say it that must be true.Because UWindows was really a pain.

I have tried my hand at Uwindow myself back in the days,and I found it was so badly done that it could put an end to your mod devellopment if you tried to make too complex things.

And I think the the so-called 'console' look is actually cleaner and prettier .

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Windows broke DOS.

I don't want UWindows to break UT.

I could care less either way, but I know there were times where I could see uWindows not working as it was intended, and causing me to restart UT more often then I needed too. I didn't like that. I don't have that problem much now.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
it looks fine to me at 1024x768...

now 640x480....that's horrid!

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
I normally play at 1024 and yeah it does look ok but you can see a real difference just by stepping it up to 1280 - everything's a lot more crisp and clean and just looks nice :) Using 1280 now but think I'll go down to 1024 for online cuz it can slow down at times at 1280......

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
TWD said:
I don't really give a crap what the interface is like as long as it is
1)Fast
2)EXTREEMLY easy to customize.

Uwindows was definatly not either of those. While the ut2003 menu system was a bit better in both respects it was nowhere near where it should be. The new system appears that it will fill both requirements so what's the big deal? I say screw uwindows we can do without it.
How do you customize the current interface??

I know some people don't like uwindows and some people like me, loved it.
So why not make it an option what inerface you want?
Uwindows in UT has a lot properties I would like to see in UT2kx.
What I specially like is the opportunity to rightclick.

And I guess most of the people who plays UT2k want windows back or something very similar.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Right click functionality is added to the 2k4 hud.

There is a built in editor for the new interface, meaning you can put everything where you want it, size it, and then just copy the info you need out to your files. The old system besides being buggy had no functionality similar to that. I would never want to code for UWindows again.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
let me clarify when I mean customize I mean that if I make a mutator and it has an options window the options should be nearly automatic so that ANY idiot could do it.

and again WHY do you like it? What's so great about uwindows that you want it back?