Boost dodging in XMP?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipmunk

(NBK-Daft)
Nov 26, 2003
MA
www.clan-nbk.com
Yep, it's possible. Dunno if that's a good thing or not, but it's pretty cool nontheless. The ranger has the best range with a "boost dodge" (more like an "enhanced wall dodge" to be honest). Here's some examples:

Alcazar (dodging from the wall on the upper level):
alcazar.gif

Nakoja (dodging from the pillar at spawn point):
nakoja.gif

Discuss :D

chipmunk

(NBK-Daft)
Nov 26, 2003
MA
www.clan-nbk.com
CiD said:
old news,yes?

Maybe to you and me, but not to the hundreds of people who are new to XMP.

Android.. it's kind of complicated. It's almost exactly like the wall dodges in 2k3... but you hold sprint while doing it.

Jump towards a wall, then dodge in the opposite direction when you make contact. I think that dodging in any direction will technically work, but you have to be making contact with the wall (while in the air) in order for it to happen. Obviously, if the wall is on your left and you dodge to the left, nothing much is gonna happen.

Just practice a basic wall dodge first. Once you get that down, play with your jump jet while you do it. You'll see some hefty distance. Once you can do those two things on your own, throw the sprint into the mix. Now you can see exactly how much distance you'll be able to cover in one swift move... it's pretty amazing. Rangers are best with this trick of course, since they have the most speed.

When you perfect it, you can do a wall dodge OVER the full sized barrier on Alcazar (i'm talking about the perimeter barrier you have to hack in order to activate). In the Alcazar .gif I made, the barrier is not activated. Trust me though, it's possible to dodge in the exact same place I did, and fly all the way over that barrier/shield. What this equates to is devastatingly effective artifact runs. Almost too effective, since that shield barrier will block all enemy fire while you make it home.

-Thud-

Custom User Title
Jan 6, 2004
Oh my god I just tried it, it's insane. At first it was too many buttons so I had to bind my middlemouse key to sprint, but the height is amazing. The gifs don't show the actual height and distance very well.

Anathema-

...because we're NOT free
Oct 19, 2003
If I'm looking at that correctly you're wall dodging off the interior archway between the pillar and flat area above correct? .. And the second shows you jumping from the arched pillar next to the base yes?

-Thud-

Custom User Title
Jan 6, 2004
You can actually jump so high with the range that you actually take damage.

chipmunk

(NBK-Daft)
Nov 26, 2003
MA
www.clan-nbk.com
Anathema- said:
If I'm looking at that correctly you're wall dodging off the interior archway between the pillar and flat area above correct? .. And the second shows you jumping from the arched pillar next to the base yes?

exactly. :D

but you can do it on any flat surface, not just these two spots.

I wish I had fraps so I could better demonstrate this. Just working with the tools I have available now. :/

iddQd

Yours truly
Dec 26, 2001
Sweden
How sweet! It was kewl knowing how to boost dodge in ut2003 but its possible in xmp too? I guess the bugg comes with walldodging which was inplanted in xmp!

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
What is boostdodging then? Btw i tried to jump off the wall.. and then i tried to jump up first and then dodge in the opposite direction.. but in the 2 movies at the top it looks like he is jumping along the wall.. and he goes forward ridiculously much.. how does he do that? I tried it at Alcazar, skybridge (cloud platform) deploypoint.. there you have sort of a tower (where the deploypoint + gen are in).. I ran towards it, Jumped, used my jumpjets.. and when i hit the wall i doubletapped backwards.. (oh and i held sprint all the time) but i didnt even get to the destroyed bridge...

(btw has anyone ever noticed that that platform is floating in the air?, cuz both bridges are broken)

Last edited:

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
btw has anyone ever noticed that that platform is floating in the air?, cuz both bridges are broken)

yeah,thet's been bugging me.what the hell is keeping those platforms up?

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
AAH noooh its terrible i cant do it.. it just wont work.. Im gonna try just as long till i get it.. I WONT REST TILL I BOOST DODGE FROM A WALL!!

(i am probably making somekind of fatal mistake.. but.. maybe pressing some random buttons will help to find the right combination and timing)

(btw CiD i played against you today.. me and my friend (broccoli) were having fun stalking this one other guy and making sure he didnt get NRG, and then you came in and made us play serious.. )

Last edited:

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
Its done just like 2k3, while running alongside of a wall you jump at the wall while still pressing towards the wall, then you dodge in the direction you want to go.

Ultron

Robot XMP Beta Tester
Mar 6, 2000
Secret Hideout
clans.utworld.net
If you dodge forward you might get more distance doing that maneuver. I'd like to see a vid of someone doing that. IIRC dodges forward give you a greater jump distance anyways, so that might help with some air time.

Status
Not open for further replies.