A question about 2.87

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
Hello

Maybe i dont have the eye of the eagle , but there is an information i cant find here.

Please , can someone answer my question
Will Infiltration 2.87 be another huge downolad , or will it be a patch for the actual 2.86 ?

I have my idea on the answer when i read the new features , but this idea is scaring my 56K (and when my 56K simply thinks about the future map pack , it already begins to ask for help ;) )

Thank you for the answer.

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
well, there will be two new game mode, both CTF style. Whether EAS will be out with 2.87 is well... *shrug*

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
Originally posted by DeRailer
well, there will be two new game mode, both CTF style. Whether EAS will be out with 2.87 is well... *shrug*

[edit]
oops, I miss the actual topic! I'm such a Ilama! :p
[/edited]

[edit]
sheezh, i hit quote instead of edit... :rolleyes:
[/edited]

&

"Sp!ke"

Is the Inf team considering to upgrade to U2 engine?
Just wondering since its going to be released in April(2002)....;)

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
I hope they do a port to U2. I can't wait till UW. IMHO, once it moves to U2 or UW INF will really shine... just imagine this game running at 60+ fps.

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
imagine huge maps and vehicular support!

with more accurate hit detection (which apparently will be using the actual surface of the model!) will mean a great injury system

I will have to upgrade my rig a bit, but who cares, I can't wait!:cool:

OpFor

Feeling suicide, thats O.K.
Apr 26, 2001
Visit site
Heh, U2 will be what INF ports too. If the team doesn't, someone else will. U2 will be awsome, it will sport AWSOME graphics, and better engine (ALOT BETTER) and thr requirements arn't much more than UT.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
If the team doesn't want to do it I might have a crack at it. I will have just graduated from school and finished up my current project (MOO3)... I ought to be quite bored :)

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
I think several members of the team have stated that the benefits of UW make it worth the wait. Of course, they'll be steeped in their commercial project at the time, so all the refining they can do now is to our benefit.

wrdaniel

Aug 30, 2001
U2 will have nice graphics, but will it also have a good netcode? its only a singleplayer game.

rgreene

frag bait
Oct 16, 2000
That's really the ultimate question. Undoubtedly, UW will have really good netcode (since that is, ultimately, the biggest thing they are selling with this engine). I wouldn't expect U2 netcode to be any worse than UT netcode, therefore I can only see gains from porting to U2.

After doing some thought on the issue, it might not be a good idea to do a port, unless it was fully sanctioned by the team. The reason for this is that it would most likely fracture the community. Half of the people would want to play the U2 version so that they have decent framerates, while the other will play the UT version cause their machine is slower, or they haven't bought U2 yet. I'm almost 100% sure that you couldn't connect up both versions to one server (well, not without a massive code rewrite). Furthermore, this would be a maintanence nightmare. Each version would effectively force you to rewrite the whole mod over again. If there are 4 versions between the U2 release and the UW release (I'm SOOO optimistic :)) then that will require 4 full ports. Alot of work.

Now, if the team is just lazy and don't want to do it for U2, then by all means we should get a bunch of guys together to do it, then hand them a finished product, which they will then use to all future versions (at which point INF will be a U2 mod). Although I can't really see them as all that lazy...

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
The big problem with U2, for coders anyway, is I understand they COMPLETELY reorganized the class structure, meaning the team will be starting from scratch. Ouch. Much easier to wait for UW to come out, which'll have the same engine as U2, after they've had a chance to work with the new coding structure, making a port much easier.

Unless, of course, UW turns out to be like INF, only (shudder) better. :(