Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latent Image

Bring the rain!
Jun 3, 2001
Zer0's Anus
I agree with you completely. UT99 and UT3 are just much more satisfying experiences, the movement has good weight to it, the weapons are all extremely powerful. 2k4 was a step in the wrong direction, but yea its all been said before.

UT3 is a great game underneath all of it's issues. It just needs some time back in the oven and some better maps and content. That's what I'm hoping for with this expansion. You hear that Epic? I haven't given up on you yet!

For sure!

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
I agree with you completely. UT99 and UT3 are just much more satisfying experiences, the movement has good weight to it, the weapons are all extremely powerful. 2k4 was a step in the wrong direction, but yea its all been said before.

UT3 is a great game underneath all of it's issues. It just needs some time back in the oven and some better maps and content. That's what I'm hoping for with this expansion. You hear that Epic? I haven't given up on you yet!

I agree with that.
In my opinion the console version is done but the game has much more potential. Now the team around UT3 have the chance to fix and update a real PC version.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well I still have UT2004 on my computer and I recently fired it up and started playing it again. And the game is beautiful. I don't know why when they made UT3 that they thought grungy was a better look but the UT2004 maps look great. Who want's to look and bland walls and garbage filled floors. It's like they thought "Hey lets throw dirt on the walls, floors and ceiling, that will make things look way cooler." And the bots seem to be stupider. I tried to like UT3 but when I go back and play UT2004 I can't kid myself and say UT3 is a better game. Not for me anyways and that just one mans personal opinion. I even think the characters in UT2004 look better.:mwink:

Interestingly, maps went more and more dirty all over the series. In Unreal, everything is washed out. In UT99, everything is... washed out just as well. In UT2003 you now get all those wet, rusty etc. effects - this might be because of Static Meshes and Emitters that allowed them to do so though. And in UT3 you get... Even more dirt.
And you're not the only one who thinks that characters look better in UT2004. There you get a variety. And in UT3, you have... the DemoGuy... And Krall. That's about it, everyone else look like the DemoGuy or Krall.

I went back and played UT2004 and I can't stack up to the better players even more than before. I got aggravated that I die a lot in UT3, but then I went back to UT2004 and I can't hardly even get a kill in that game.

That's easily explainable. You need different abilities for the games. Basically that's the same with all the U-series games - they are all very different and feel differently too! So if they made the expansion with even some kind of another movement, it would still be cool. All you need is to get used to it.
Hmm, speaking about movement... They could bring back Mantling and Prone from U2!

No it wasn't. I don't get why you all think that something is always worse than other things. They're not. Unreal was great. UT99 was great. Unreal II was great. U2XMP is great. UT2003 was great. UT2004 is great. UT3 is great. But they are all very different from each other, so people just like one or another. Sure, all have some issues, but they aren't enough to make it an overall "bad" game. Like, Unreal II is considered to be not good, but why? Because they rushed. They didn't complete MP, and that left the game with small replayability. U2XMP was never finished too, yet it's still fun as it has MP! But if they didn't rush again, they would have made it even better. So they *really* shouldn't rush. U1 was developed in like 3 years - and it was fantastic back then. You can create miracles if you have enough time. And I guess they should take their time and make UT3 playable on lower end PCs for now...

And yes, UT3 is nice, only if it was playable both online and offline!..

Bishop F Gantry

Aug 18, 2004
"We've been keeping quiet about our upcoming UT3 plans because we've found it's better not to say anything when we aren't sure of the timing of upcoming releases. However, as Mark hinted, we have been working on a large update and expansion to UT3, and we'll be starting to talk more about it soon."

Found this at VE3D

Most interesting for me is that's an expansion and "a large update". I'm curious about it! :D

So another patch people has to pay for, packed with so much content UT3's malignent gameplay is crushed underneath it?

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's easily explainable. You need different abilities for the games. Basically that's the same with all the U-series games - they are all very different and feel differently too! So if they made the expansion with even some kind of another movement, it would still be cool. All you need is to get used to it.
My point is, even doing bad in UT3, you do better than doing average in UT2004.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
I just have to wonder what motivation they have to release a massive update for UT3 unless they want to charge for it. Epic has moved up in the food chain a lot since 1999 and I understand that they really aren't the rag tag band of misfits anymore that sink lots of money into free expansion. They've set such high standards for the UT titles though, especially with the generous Bonus Packs at no charge as well as the long term patching support of the games that UT3 seems like the red-headed step child even though it's sold more than a million copies across multiple platforms.

A damned shame, too, because ultimately I feel it's the best of the series next to the original. I think most long term UT players (from the UT99 days) feel that way, too. Now for the generation that came into the series with UT2003/4 I wouldn't expect them to feel that way. Where as the classic UT99 community felt that UT2003/4 was a betrayal of the classic formula, now the hardcore UT2003/4 players now feel a little backhanded by UT3. One thing the classic UT99 fanbase will never admit is that UT200x had a healthy and very different community and was quite popular. Albeit, the community was smaller, but with very few exceptions Unreal Tournament and Q3 were really the last of the MASSIVE COMMUNITY games (not counting Counter Strike...etc). A few games have bumped some big numbers since, but Jesus, UT was a long term and massive success. I haven't booted it up in several months, but last time I did, I could still find populated games with no problem

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
They're definitely going to be charging for it. First, why wouldn't they? Second, they're under contract with Midway to release two Unreal-based games. This expansion will cover the second with the least amount of effort possible. Then they get can GTFO of business with that failing company and go make GoW3 and CliffyB can go talk about how awesome he is some more.

Dogger

Oct 4, 2004
They're definitely going to be charging for it. First, why wouldn't they? Second, they're under contract with Midway to release two Unreal-based games. This expansion will cover the second with the least amount of effort possible. Then they get can GTFO of business with that failing company and go make GoW3 and CliffyB can go talk about how awesome he is some more while rubbing his nipples in the mirror with his piece between his legs.

Fixed

Apr 11, 2006
And you're not the only one who thinks that characters look better in UT2004. There you get a variety. And in UT3, you have... the DemoGuy... And Krall. That's about it, everyone else look like the DemoGuy or Krall.

Or Jester. But the huge mishmashed array of characters with varying sizes was a valid criticism of UT2004. It's not like there was any difference between Gorge and his 500lbs of body and armor, and Sapphire whose visible body mass actually increased when she got skeletalized.

No it wasn't. I don't get why you all think that something is always worse than other things.

Comparing multiplayer-focused first person shooter games in the same series (with, by and large, the same weapons, and in some cases the same maps) is not exactly a case of comparing apples and oranges. Comparing them and saying that one was a "better" game than other doesn't preclude making statements about their relative strengths and weaknesses. Pushing everything into the morass of "Well, it's different" isn't really helpful when critically discussing areas where games improved, failed to improve, or regressed.

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
"A radical re-working would be nice, or maybe just a graphics update for Unreal Tournament 2004. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Unreal Tournament III, but the earlier stuff is more enjoyable."

These words are so true. I was the biggest basher of 2004. But I see now it was a very good game and wish they would go back to that style of game.

This is what I'm most afraid of. UT3 has the most fun UT gameplay I've ever played, and the idea of them turning it back into the nerfed-to-hell, floaty, overly cartoony, mini-me 2k4 style sounds dreadful.
I'll just skip the "update" if that's what they do, considering I spent more time tweaking mutators trying to get back to the UT feel than I actually spent playing 2k4 by the end...

Last edited:

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
They're definitely going to be charging for it. First, why wouldn't they? Second, they're under contract with Midway to release two Unreal-based games. This expansion will cover the second with the least amount of effort possible. Then they get can GTFO of business with that failing company and go make GoW3 and CliffyB can go talk about how awesome he is some more.

Hadn't thought of that, honestly. Guess that would fulfill their contract. Makes you kind of wonder what they think they can get away with here? I mean, if the game still had a thriving community you might expect that they could release an expansion that would sell reasonably well, but I'm not sure that has any validity at this point.

I'm not sure that anything with the UT3 name on it is going to move $30.00 expansions. Something in the vain of UT2004 as an expansion of UT2003 might be worthwhile, but if it was going to be UT4, I don't think they "call" it an expansion to UT3.

Maybe they'll surprise us and do something that resparks interest in the game. After the cluster**** that is GOW2 multiplayer(the options and problems more than the gameplay), my decade long stance of being an Epic Games apologist is rapidly degrading.

Last edited:

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com

THIS. You win the thread.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks UT3 is awesome at its core gameplay.

In73gr4L

Jan 22, 2008
Well I still have UT2004 on my computer and I recently fired it up and started playing it again. And the game is beautiful. I don't know why when they made UT3 that they thought grungy was a better look but the UT2004 maps look great. Who want's to look and bland walls and garbage filled floors. It's like they thought "Hey lets throw dirt on the walls, floors and ceiling, that will make things look way cooler." And the bots seem to be stupider. I tried to like UT3 but when I go back and play UT2004 I can't kid myself and say UT3 is a better game. Not for me anyways and that just one mans personal opinion. I even think the characters in UT2004 look better.:mwink:

Actually, I think it's because they thought it would make it more 'badass.' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.