Uncle Bangin Needs Some Assistance...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
I just bought a Micro Optical mouse and want to set up the two side buttons for use in UT. When I try to set it up in the UT Control Preferences menu, nothing happens when I highlight the line and click the button I want to use. Anyone use this particular mouse have any idea what I need to do? I figured I had to add a line of text or something in the User.ini file, because there isn't a listing for the side mouse buttons. Please Help Me!!

Spank You!

Troll|PuF

Poetic Terrorist
May 2, 2000
Temporary Autonomous Zone
Bangin', for some odd reason, UT needs to be fooled.

Example: My thumb button (large side button) is for my xloc. The way I did it is : in my mouse preferences, bind that button CTRL (or whatever key you have free) then in UT, select CTRL as my xloc. Just taking an extra step.

AND....make sure your little mouse icon is showing in your taskbar, if it's not, UT won't recognise the extra buttons on some mice

That should do it! :)

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF

The Original Brother Ooze!
Apr 7, 2000
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Visit site
Yep

Troll is right again.

Interesting note: After I reformatted win98 which became an upgrade to winME :( I was forced to keep the mouse preferences open in the task bar for my thumb button to work! I typically forget to open it before I load UT... then the first time I try to switch to translocate.... "gack"..... nothing there and I get fragged! :)

You can open mouse preferences without closing UT and it will get that thumb button working just fine!

BTW it is a great mouse in my opinion.

MOE

|H|Alarion

Neighborhood godless fragger
Mar 30, 2000
Yorktown, VA
www.rabid-wolf.com
Yup.
Like Troll said, make sure your "mouse control panel" is running in the systray. If you don't have a mouse icon, you can go to:
start menu->Microsoft Hardware->Mouse->Intellipoint

I bound the button that MS assigned to "back" as "backspace" (this still allows me to go "back" in my browser when I click the button).
I bound the other button to ALT. For some reason, it seems in win98 UT will recognize the MS "forward" binding as ALT, but in Win2k, I have to set that button specifically as "ALT" in the mouse control panel =/

Hope ya get it going man :)

XeneX

Volatile
Aug 21, 2000
Swindon, Wiltshire
If you can, try not to bind things you use often to buttons like CTRL, ALT and SHIFT.
Say you bind your Jump button to CTRL and then set your side mouse button to CTRL.
While jumping and moving, Windows may recognise this as an CTRL+key combination and it may have unwanted side effects in game; weapons sticking, constant crouching, etc

I have PageUp bound for Jump and have my thumb button set to PageUp in my mouse properties. :D

ShinyObject

You're making me blush.
Jun 14, 2000
Ohio
I've got the one with 5 buttons. I have it them set to Backspace, Pageup, and Pagedown. So I can use them in IE too. :)

[Ci]Mazza

Trigger Me Baby!
Mar 5, 2000
England
Visit site
What are trackballs like for UT? I was messin around with one the other day and it was real smooth to move, hows that feel like for games?

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
I am still having problems. I set it up to recognize the home and end buttons when I press either of the side buttons. UT still doesn't switch weapons when I press the side buttons. I tried this with and without the little mouse icon running. In fact if the icon is running Ut doesn't let me use the mouse wheel, which I use to scroll through my weapons. Here is a screenie of my mouse options screens:
micro.jpg

Thanks again.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
first of all, do the buttons work in other applications, for example IE or Word? if they don't you at least know the problem is with the mouse (or its software) and not UT.

your Micro Optical mouse is a Microsoft mouse, right? have you installed the Intellipoint software or did it come with its own software? on a last note, if you do run Intellipoint make sure to get the latest version (3.2), especially if you run WinME.

that's all i can think of. hope it helps.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
i just noticed: you've posted three pics in a row, and i have to scroll sideways to see them all (800x600 here). however, all the other posts are still displayed correctly rather than totally stretched out as well. now that's a real improvement. w00t! :D

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
It isn't a microsoft mouse, it is a Micro mouse.

I tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them and that didn't work. The scroll wheel works fine in IE, but the left and right side buttons don't scroll left and right when I set it up to. Maybe the mouse is defective.

I_B_Bangin

habitual line stepper
Aug 6, 2000
Boston, MA
Well, thanks for all of your help. I decided that I probably made a bad choice with the Micro mouse, so I just went out and bought a Microsoft Intellimouse. It works fine and was easy to set up for UT. Thanks All!