Lame Maps and lame players?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Hey Masutmoto, shut your dam face.
I already said I wasnt the best. What high horse is that. And I certainly didnt aim the comment at you, unless you have a some sort of guilty conscience for being a lamer!

As for DM, I'm kinda tired of the random killing. Im back from ye old doom and duke nukem days and basically random killing has lost its..*ahem* charm ;p
(BTW, im not mentioning Q 1, 2, or 3 cause i hate them all ;p)

Skink

Jan 13, 2000
Columbus,OH,US
Visit site
I agree with Jesus Christ. I like DM best for the fast pace of the game and the emphesis on individual skills. I've been playing it since original Unreal and even though I've been whacked a lot, I never got bored with it. Matches are short and you're on your own. Besides, I think that nothing would piss me off more than a member of my own team taunting me or trying to hit me with an impact hammer because he doesn't like something I do. From reading messages about CTF it looks to me like it happens a lot.
--Skink

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
It might be me, but I am really getting tired of the same lame maps being cycled. They are being cycled so much that they are becomming lame in mine eyes ;p
(ex. Face, Lava Giant)
I wish these servers would use a good 3rd party map. I barely see ESpirit get played, or even DiamonSword. (which i thought would be popular since it was like Face)
Also, as a sub topic,
is it me, or are more players out there lacking skills? Im not saying I am the best or anything, but it seems that in the old RealCTF, people where WAAAAAAAY more talented and challenging.

M

Morgan

Generally I'm not having much difficulty finding decent servers with (good) custom maps on them... Just look for custom maps on servers. If they've got one custom in the list, they're likely to have more.

bullet2.gif

Yeah lady, You and the IRS...

Harlock

Married And Always Nagged
Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
Hey DragonAsh, get off your high horse. Yeah, some player lack the "skills", but $5 and a 6pack of beer says that you were the same way when you started playing FPS too. Alot of new people have entered the fray thanks to online Arena games like UT and *sigh* Q3A. And like ALL players, it will take time for them to develope there own skills. So give these "lame" players a chance, one day they might surprise you.

bullet2.gif

Matsumoto[PuF]

"Nature has a way of eliminating stupid people... it's called [PuF]."

JESUS CHRIST

Masterful
Feb 23, 2000
Red Bank, NJ
Visit site
If your getting bored of the same CTF maps. Come over to some DM. Trust me, you'll find way too many skilled ruthless players over there.

bullet2.gif

Don't make me headshot you in the nuts again.
ngid 620147

Bounca

Unemployed Loser
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
You're two comments go hand in hand. A lame player often will gravitate toward Face where he can spawn snipe to his hearts content.

bullet2.gif

How bout a greazy pork sandwich served in a dirty ashtray!!!

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
I kinda have to agree with you DragonAsh, I'm just an average player but depending on the server or the time of day the talent can be pretty dismal. I suggest trying either Indy Red Planet or Trinity servers from around 10pm cst to 3am cst. This is the time when most of the regular clanners get on and we usually have a big ole fragfest. You'll find DC and TRIBE members there quite alot and others like DFB and DHI from time to time. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
You could always join a clan and then you would be able to play with/against your clanmates for more competition.

The_Ruiner

Masterful
I 4 1 would like to hear what some PU posters consider "skills". Is it accuracy, speed, agility, weapon selection, item selection, relic use, sniping ect. Or how about codes, tricks, sever selection, admins, connections? My point is, it could be any and all of these. Alot of varibles go into successful play. As for cheating, what's the logic? Some are just skilled at shooting off at the mouth. Either way, I love this freakin' game. As far as DM vs. CTF, there is nothing wrong with a FFA fragfest in my book. But bringing the flag home through a swarm of pissed off defenders is enough to give a monk a woody!! R U with me?!! -R

bullet2.gif

This is the strangest life, I've ever known

[This message has been edited by The_Ruiner (edited 03-14-2000).]

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
True. DM was fun anyway. For all games. I was DM heavy for the old unreal. ASMD all the way. But I seem to tire of all that running around with the same old mission if kill them all! lol Capturing the flag does seem to add some spice. True, what exactly ARE skills in ones eyes. I say, you have skills if you are a TEAM player. I have had many guys back me up PERFECTLY. In return I do the same. With that kind of team play, you will ALWAYS win.

As for those types of "skills", Evil Beaver is right too. Even at night (EST) the talent is low. Everyone wants to be a hero and boom. Base is uncovered and many the time I actually am alone defending or i have the flag and i have to go and get our flag back! lol
That PU thing "the Ruiner" mentioned sounds like a good topic too. Mybe we should email them to ask if they could talk about it too.

EliteWarrior

Mar 14, 2000
Venezuela
Visit site
Dragon u have a very good point about ppl trying to be heros, many times ive been left alone in the base defending when all of them were out twiddling with their thumbs.

It's true team work can win games but if u are on a team with ppl who are new to the game and dont have many "skills" then u can be sure even the best of teamwork wont win the game for you.

bullet2.gif

Gotta love UT!

Skink

Jan 13, 2000
Columbus,OH,US
Visit site
OK,
I didn't mean to imply that CTF players are somehow less skilled than DM players. Most people play both anyhow. I don't play CTF because it is more complicated than "straightforward" DM. What I meant by "emphasis on individual skills" was that in DM you're purely concentrated on combat and on taking advantage of the architecture of an arena - no team skills needed. You can selfishly and harmlessly focus on your number of kills and you don't have to worry about who's guarding your base and why everybody is going for the enemy's flag.
BTW, Ash Dragon, I am still ASMD all the way /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif
--Skink

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Skink-- im still crying about how the gayed it up for UT /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

But either way, CTF is supposed to "teach" you how to play as a team, in a way. I mean, you catch the drift sooner or later. But it seems like people just dont learn. A lot think they are good enough to get the flag and backwhen they cant even get to the halfpoint! But I must admit, they have persistance. Unfortunatly, its not getting them anywhere like it should ~_~

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Alot of you have brought out good points. The reason I love Ctf is because it closly resembles military stratagy. Different roles for different members, (always ultilizing their strongest traits) plus the stratagy.
To give you an example of stratagy which I have used and believe me it works:

Capture the enemies flag, Wait til the enemy has captured yours then start to run back when you confront the enemy flag carrier pretend to engage him, during the skirmish fall off into outer space(FACE) well the enemy flag carrier thinks easy flag capture, the flag will be there as soon as he gets there...
Here`s where the stratagy comes in:
I have left a trans disc guarded by another player right at the flag, as soon as I fall out of sight I trans, sure i drop the flag but now the enemy flag carrier is going to make a beeline to his base thinking he is going to score an easy capture only to run straight into me and my guard. Well we cap the enemy flag carrier return our flag grab theirs and then cover each other on the return to score...Naturally this includes a very good guard in our base to make sure our flag is there when we get there and also a sniper on top to help cover our backs...
There are a few more secrets involved in this stratagy but i can`t give them all away.........LOL

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name Yr2ESY Nguid 629493

BeZerKeR

Feb 12, 2000
hometown.aol.com
Ummmmm.... Excuse me...... but isn't everyone forgetting about DOM???
It's a mix of CTF teamwork AND DM senseless killing and fast pace. Instead of bitching your sick of both of this or that...
TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT!!!
Some of the most enjoyable games I've had online were all DOM games. and even online AS games rock sometimes too. Last I checked, there was also a Last Man Standing mode too. Don't get all wrapped up in two modes and neglect the rest. That's why they're there, and it's also one of the things that makes UT better than Quake3!!! (hope I don't stir any fires with THAT comment /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif)

bullet2.gif

"Khorne cares not from whence the blood flows... Nor do I."

DragonAsh

Hentai-like
Feb 10, 2000
Wanna know the other part of that secret?
HAVING THE PLAYERS LISTEN TO YOU! lol
Having that happen isa miracle and a half!
Domination is no better lol ust relentless running and killing. Half the time the kids dont know the target and just kill *L*

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Got a point there Dragon, but that time I was on a good team one that listened and played like a team. It`s great when that happens..............

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name Yr2ESY Nguid 629493

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
OK here comes the pro assault people. I think its always a great change of pace, involves a lot of startegy as well. Thought the maps are getting old fast but AS Bridge just proves how a new map can breathe life into the game. Try assault too.
-This message is bought to you bye the friends of UT Assault group-

bullet2.gif

0shadow0
Rantings of a suicidal maniac.
http://members.tripod.com/~fazal_k

Harlock

Married And Always Nagged
Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
I wasn't complaining about the way you play, just your whole "lamer" attitude. I think the only lamers who play UT are the ones who don't give any other player (including newbies) the respect they need. Now while I'm not saying this is you... I'm just saying, we were all newbies once, and therefor you should not bad mouth ANY newbie, or person lacking of skill. Only because you were there once too. I am not ashamed of my skill, or lack there of. People should learn to play the game for FUN, there are too many people taking the game WAY too seriously.

bullet2.gif

Matsumoto[PuF]

"Nature has a way of eliminating stupid people... it's called [PuF]."

Claude_Ballz

Ballz-Like
Jan 17, 2000
Visit site
Personally, I would like to see Conquest and Diamond Sword among others.
I enjoy all the "team games" in UT. To me, the teamwork is alot more fun than just running around trying to score kills (well, that's fun too, but you know what I mean). That is if you don't have someone on your team that pops you just after you pick up the enemy flag, like I did last nite :-(
BTW - Ash, didn't I kick your a$$ the other nite? JUST KIDDING :)

bullet2.gif

Say Hello To My Little Friend!