UE3 - GoW Can you merge bsp brushs also a widget question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bill_Brooks

Feb 11, 2008
Just wondering if there is a way to merge bsp brushes into one brush in this case all the brushes are the same size in the z axis don't know if that matters with this engine or not. Here is a pic
brushmerg.jpg

I know I could add a brush then cut it to this shape hoping for a short cut.

Also how do you move the widget to a different starting point.
I have this terrain in a starter map the widget is along ways away from the corner of the terrain in the z axis its a real pain locking the widget moving it to the corner of the terrain mesh then unlocking it just to move the terrain a little. Then if for some reason I have to move the terrain again after selecting something else when I reselect the terrain the widget is again way up on the z axis. There must be some way to reset the starting point of the widget to a actor. I feel like such a noob thats alright this is part of the fun for me.

sWs»Cheapshot

Jan 20, 2008
Right Click the box and use the weld function to join. Stage6 has the 3DBuzz video tutorials on geometry editing... they go into detail on how to edit geometry pretty well.

As far as the widget goes... I usually just right click where I want to move from... Choose > Pivot > move from here.

Wouldn't matter where the widget is at that point :)

Bill_Brooks

Feb 11, 2008
Thanks for the reply I can't seem to find a weld function.
Do you have a link to the tutorial that you are talking about?

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
i would have made that brush by clipping to avoind the lines down the brush which will create a multiple material surfaces on that bush which can make lighting messy

incase you carnt find this, click the brush then use the geomatry tool and bring up the options pannal on the geomatry tool, click the mode that makes the brush white with red bots, then press clip in the options

Last edited:

Bill_Brooks

Feb 11, 2008
Thanks Bazzwano but I already knew this just didn't build it that way and was hoping there was a way to merge instead of rebuilding the brush and cutting it.

sWs»Cheapshot

Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for the reply I can't seem to find a weld function.
Do you have a link to the tutorial that you are talking about?

Yeah sure... just takes a few to find them ;)

Here is the main page:http://www.stage6.com/Unreal-Engine-3---Video-Tutorials/videos/

Goto page 2 and look at the first group of tuts on the page... its in there.

Frankly, you should download all of them... they are packed with good stuff to learn ya.

Right clicking the cube brings up the CSG editor, and you have to be in vert mode to weld I believe, or is it edge?... one of those :)

Cryosis

Jan 19, 2008
I'd like to just point out that complicating brushes (I think extrude is safe though) can cause some difficult to trace bsp errors on your map, keeping brushes as simple as possible and using static brushes as much as possible seems to be the way to go.

Bill_Brooks

Feb 11, 2008
It's a hard habit to break not using piles of bsp brushs in a map.
As that is the way I have building maps for years. Mostly in the Quake series.
This engine is strange as in what it calls a brush you can make a very complicated brush in a concave shape and it still works, in the past I could not do that. This makes me think the engine is treating the shape of the brush more like a static mesh.

I just finished making some Gothic style arch tunnels out of brushes in a practice making brush work map. Started with a 16 sided cylinder then a vertex edited it into a straight tunnel with a arched ceiling. Ok thats simple right but it is convex and yet I was still able to save it as a brush and it works in the game.
Next I took this straight tunnel and made copies of it rotated one 90 degrees and then made a joining tunnel on a 45 degree angle I can then make one big brush that the covers all these tunnel brushes and then do a brush intersect and now have a single brush that is made out of all those brush in a very complex shape, this just seems like it should be prefab not a brush.

I do miss not being able to shape simple meshes into fancy curves like I could do in Quake 3 and 4 unless there is a way that I don't know about yet (that would be cool)