OpenGL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I think it's going to be really sad if Unreal 2 is released without OpenGL support. You would think Epic would learn from their mistakes with UT (the D3D support sucks; game keeps crashing).

Anyway, it would be nice if it had OpenGL support!

Any comments?

SkaarjMaster

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Woo Skaarjmaster
what's this about game crashes in D3D? I play UT and the patched Unreal (v226) in D3D and never have they crashed on me. Are you sure this is not some hardware conflict?
Open GL is not the solution to all problems, its how well you implement it that makes the difference. DK was an open GL game and it had a lot more than its share of bugs and glitches.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
all I know is that Quake 3, Quake 2, Half-Life, and other OpenGL games have never crashed on my computer and it isn't a hardware conflict. I think the people putting together Unreal 2 are very narrow-minded and if they want to let people see what their game can really do, then they need to allow OpenGL support. Unless, they have got all the bugs out of their D3D support and I don't think so.

I can't get UT to run in OpenGL on my motherboard or I would. How about all you people out there that run UT in OpenGL, wouldn't you like to see Unreal 2 with OpenGL support?

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
As most of us know by now, UT was optimized for Glide. The D3D support was decent, and has improved quite a bit since the original release.

Unreal2 will not have the same D3D support as UT. It will be compatible with any system that meets requirements and it will be optimized. If Legend and Epic feel that D3D is the way to go, then let them put their full effort into it.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I'm afraid other people on this forum are as narrow and small-minded as Epic and Legend!

Please excuse my harshness, but I'm pissed off at a certain person in the Middle East and have to take it out on someone.

TAZTG

Your face, Your ass-Whats the Difference
Sep 12, 2001
Brunswick, MD
I play in D3D and get a rare lockup now and then but that is due to my GF2 GTS and now my GF3 card. Now that my BIOS settings are correct even the rare lockups rare. LOL If that makes any sense. Play Q3 and never locked up. High resolution looks great but I think D3D in UT is better. IMO it should support both like UT. Are maybe put out two versions Open GL Mode and D3d Mode. Like PC and MAC.. LOL

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
I guess you're referring to today's Ask Tim Sweeney?

I think the "Dan wants to get the OpenGL code back up and running ..." part sounds pretty good, as well as the "We'll definitely have Linux server support ..." part.

I'm quite confident that even if U2 won't ship with OpenGL out of the box, Dan will have the OPENGL.DLL done shortly after release and you can grab it from the web.

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
i have a geforce3 and for me UT runs really crappy in d3d and realy great in opengl.
just a question...What make d3d better than opengl? besides the fact that it may run faster on someone elses computer, an what kinda computer does d3d run better on? What kinda preformance do you get?

just wondering :)

StormHammer

Storminator
Well, I can't get Unreal to work in OpenGL on my Geforce 256 DDR. It just dies. The Direct3D works - but it's really slow, and I have to whack the resolution right down to 640x480 to get a decent framerate ( with most rendering options turned on, I hasten to add 8) ).

I can play UT in OpenGL just fine - and I think it looks a lot better, and the framerate is early twice that of D3D.

The problem seems to be inherent in the Unreal tech, because other games using D3D work fine, and at a decent framerate - although Red Faction is showing some choppiness at higher resolution with all effects turned to max. Speaking of Max...the Max Payne demo ran fine with all settings turned up high at about 800x600 res on my machine.

I certainly hope they will include some major OpenGL support along with totally rewritten and optimised D3D support. It's nice to have a choice, especially if the game runs faster/prettier using one or the other.

StormHammer

Storminator
Heh...I suddenly remembered the OpenGL patch for Unreal. Reinstalled Unreal from scratch in a different directory, upgraded to v224, installed the OpenGL patch...

...and I'm now running Unreal in glorious 32bit OpenGL at 1600x1200 with all effects turned ON at a silky-smooth framerate. :cool:

W00T! W00T! :D

D3D still runs like a slug on 1024x768 with all effects turned on. If that's not an argument for including OpenGL support for Unreal II, I don't know what is.

I highly recommend anyone with a GeForce card doing this. I've noticed a few glitches in some scenes (and it's not clipping the textures on birds and leaves, giving a black in-fill), but I guess I can live with that. It does it in D3D as well. The detail textures are now sw33t.

Now, if only the links to the S3TC patch files wasn't busted, I could have some serious fun with UT. ;)

StormHammer

Storminator
No Problem...

All you need to do is go to the OldUnreal.com Patch page and download the UnrealPatch224v.exe (it recommends that your version of Unreal is upgraded to v224!), then under the Special Patch Section on the same page, download the most recent OpenGL patch (v 2.1.0.4).

Follow the instructions...remember to set your OpenGL bit colour to 32 bit (turn it on under your GeForce driver settings if necessary).

I followed it to the letter, and it worked first time for me.

Enjoy. ;-)

gwalahad

Oct 6, 2001
france
vote4.50g.com
Originally posted by SkaarjMaster
I think it's going to be really sad if Unreal 2 is released without OpenGL support. You would think Epic would learn from their mistakes with UT (the D3D support sucks; game keeps crashing).

Anyway, it would be nice if it had OpenGL support!

Any comments?

SkaarjMaster
never crashed with me,and btw it does support open GL(less perf.)

Apr 29, 2001
Visit site
Open GL

Advanced features for high end video cards are supported differently for ATI and nVIDIA cards in Open GL. While D3D support is identicle. Therefore, for a modern game using the latest 3D capabilities, you have to write 2 sets of code to use Open GL instead of just one with D3D.

John Carmack, a huge Open GL proponent in the past has even recently said something to the effect that D3D has gotten so good that he wouldn't blame any company for dropping Open GL support altogether. (not a direct quote, I don't remember the link)

So I wouldn't sweat it with D3D, as it has come a long way. Also, UT was optimised for Glide, and we all know Glide is as dead as 3dfx. So Unreal 2 will be optimised for D3D.

Status
Not open for further replies.