July UDK Beta Released

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Late this week Epic Games released the July beta Unreal Development Kit and, as always, there's quite a few useful additions. I'll direct you to the release notes for all of the details, but we'll cover a few highlights below:

• Unreal Landscape Improvements
  • Use the new landscape gizmo to copy and paste chunks of terrain. Import and export entire regions.
  • Landscape gizmos can be arbitrarily positioned, rotated and resized.
  • Use the brush tool to mask landscape and selectively paste over it.
  • Each Unreal Landscape layer can now be assigned a physical material.
  • Simplygon Skeletal Mesh Simplification
  • Simplygon can now be used to simplify skeletal meshes the same way it can be used to simplify static geometry in UDK.
  • Generating LODs using Simplygon is also supported.
  • Morph targets are disabled for skeletal mesh LODs that have been simplified.
  • Alternate bone weightings are disabled for skeletal mesh LODs that have been simplified.
  • Post-Process Anti-aliasing
  • FXAA and MLAA post-processing methods have been integrated into the engine. Post-process anti-aliasing is supported on DirectX 9 and DirectX 11.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I haven't downloaded it yet to take a look at the quality of the MLAA and FXAA, but I'm hopeful that it is a lot nicer than the other post-processing AA attempts I've seen experimented with in the UDK up to this point. They are pretty common industry standards now so I know they'll be decent, but I still worry a bit from that screenshot. The edges look great, but notice the blurriness of the textures on flat surfaces like the sunny side of the stone square structure. Oh well, when multisampling isn't possible, you have to make due.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
FXAA ain't exactly purdy. In fact, I sometimes wonder if I'd prefer scenes without it because of all the blurring it does. MLAA though, that's much better.