Still no voice chat, this is Unreal!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr.Rogers

Mar 6, 2005
Hey guys, just signed up here; neat place! I bought UT 2004 the day it came out and never had much use for the voice chat feature. I tried it a few times before and it didn't work the first try so I didn't bother with it again until today. I tried everything I could think of to get other players to hear me and nothing... although I can hear them fine.

My Microphone is connected correctly and working, (tried 3 different ones, all work in Windows but not in-game) it of course is not muted. In the game, voice chat is ON and after joining a match, I use the letter "V" to bring up the menu and connect to a channel (Or I'll hit "F" to join Team).

This has got to be some setting I'm over looking, as I've updated my sound card drivers, and did a full-reinstall of the game. Maybe I'm burnt out from doing so much web work lately, but if anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

If it helps, I'm using an on-board C-Media CMI8738 sound card.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Welcome! :wavey:

So I'm assuming you've been able to record and playback your voice in Sound Recorder based on what you've said. right? :)

In UT2k4, is your sound setting set to either Hardware 3d Audio or HW 3d Audio with EAX? Try setting your sound setting to Software 3d Audio or Safe Mode and see if your mic works then. I remember early on HW 3d Audio and HW 3d with EAX had problems sometimes, but don't know about now.

Mr.Rogers

Mar 6, 2005
Yes, Sound Recorder works without a hitch on all three mics, I'm using "3D Audio" and have Tried "HW 3D Audio" both of which do not work. I will try safe mode and let you know. Thanks for the quick reply!

EDIT: I feel pretty retarted not trying Safe Mode first, IT WORKS! There is, of course, a little bit of a sound quality loss but I guess you win some and lose some.. just like the game. I should just be happy I can hear everything. This makes me wonder if there are any other UT 2004 players out there with the same card having issues, and if Epic plans on addressing it.

Hyrulian Hero said:
Welcome! :wavey:

So I'm assuming you've been able to record and playback your voice in Sound Recorder based on what you've said. right? :)

In UT2k4, is your sound setting set to either Hardware 3d Audio or HW 3d Audio with EAX? Try setting your sound setting to Software 3d Audio or Safe Mode and see if your mic works then. I remember early on HW 3d Audio and HW 3d with EAX had problems sometimes, but don't know about now.

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
VoIP is not the most functional feature in UT, that's for certain. Most of us just went back to TeamSpeak or Ventrilo, except for the occasional guy-who-thinks-voice-chat-is-his-chance-to-DJ.

Mr.Rogers

Mar 6, 2005
I agree, most people on UT's seem to be twelve-year olds who know only F*** and S***. I don't use voice-chat enough to go TeamSpeak, although I've used it before. UT's would suit me fine if it worked, oh wait... it does work in safe mode! Score!

W0RF said:
VoIP is not the most functional feature in UT, that's for certain. Most of us just went back to TeamSpeak or Ventrilo, except for the occasional guy-who-thinks-voice-chat-is-his-chance-to-DJ.