Speedtree Unreal Engine Demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
IDV have integrated their Speedtree technology into the Unreal Engine for licensing by developers. Speedtree is an easy solution for adding very realistic three-dimensional trees to Unreal Engine projects. You can view more screenshots and get more information here. There is also a 26.7 MB demo that utilizes the Unreal Engine 2 Runtime to allow you to tour three maps featuring this technology.
Available for immediate download directly from IDV’s website, the Unreal Engine-based SpeedTreeRT demo comprises three levels: a medium detail world with hundreds of trees, a high-detail day level with dozens of trees, and a high-detail night level with dozens of trees. In all three levels, the trees feature the wind effects, self-shadowing, dynamic LOD and realism that have made SpeedTree the real-time foliage solution of choice for game developers around the world.

Download the Speedtree Demo (26.7 MB) from BeyondUnreal now!

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Now all I want is a few tons of explosives and destroy them ... ;)

btw : there is a demo using the unreal-engine version on that site.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A_Rimmerlister said:
Now all I want is a few tons of explosives and destroy them ... ;)

btw : there is a demo using the unreal-engine version on that site.

That's what the news title is: Speedtree Unreal Engine Demo. There's also a link to a BU mirror in the same news post. :p

Burning Fish

My brain hurts!
Dec 30, 2003
Holland
www.burningfish.nl
I want my Flak Cannon! :p

What's left to do is the ability to climb those trees, that would be cool (in a game ofcourse, I missed tree-climbing in Far Cry :))

Also check out the Valley-demo on their site, very impressive!

Last edited:

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
hal said:
That's what the news title is: Speedtree Unreal Engine Demo. There's also a link to a BU mirror in the same news post. :p
I know ... it was meant as a hint towards MachDelta who only imagined the fps-problems :p

B

blindwitheax

for all you linux users it does run in wine albiet better if they had opengl drivers in the System dir

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
I had an average of 80+ fps @ 1024x768 ... (stat fps' works ;))
Even the 'medium trees' map looked impressive.
And as Bazzi says ... imagine what this tech can do in a few years time. :)

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
alpha overdraw time of the leaves is prolly causing most problems and some pc's handle that worse then others so it might run great on some pcs and bad on others :)
thats the main prob with trying to make a forest in ut right now, not fun :/
anyone who has it, whats the triangle polycount from 1 normal detailed tree if you can see that ?

Original9

Deleted.
Jul 28, 2001
ed_2.jpg

From the complexity of the color on that tree... I'd say it's a few thousnad polys, atleast. :O

Edit: Also note the texture sizes too. D:

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
I downloaded it. They're actually not static meshes but are some kind of placeable actor where you can set many porperties. I'm guessing they are rendered like procmeshes or something. I ran around in a couple of the test maps it came with at full detail, 1280, and with a geforce fx 5900 256 and my frames dipped to 30 or 40 in some areas. Average was about 60 or 70 fps. The demo maps have only a terrain with a very sparse deco layer and the tree actors. I'd hate to see it with smeshes/bsp and bots, though I'm sure you could scale down the detail settings on the trees, and you probably wouldn't have that many of them in a map anyways. :)