Trace routes and hops to get there?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
Mindspring is one of their back bones /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif Just from my computer to our local website I ping in at 90ms That don't sound to impressive to me..

bullet2.gif

Which one are you? The Quick or the Dead!

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Actually 90ms to their website is pretty good. You'll only get sub 70ms on a digital connection typically.

AFAIK, Mindspring doesn't have an independent backbone. They use Sprint-link (Sprint) and UUNet (or alternet) I think.

bullet2.gif

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." ~ Robert A. Heinlein
nguid:453406

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
I am stumped here, I have a trace progam and according to how many hops it took to get from my ip to planet unreal was about 13 hops with a ping of 150. Now what I don't understand is when I launch onto a game server with the same hops my ping runs well over 200, so why am I pinging so high? Web sites are generally like game servers you would think I would ping about the same on a game server! Ofcoarse, its all in what the servers using to connect to the internet. So what I see might not be what I get. Bummer /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif
I am wondering if I am getting an ok connection from where I am in East Texas pinging to Planet Unreal does a ping about 150 in 13 hops sound ok for a 56k modem ?

------------------

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
150ms ping on a modem is great.

Anything under 12 hops is good. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Under 8 is great! /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gif

Over 16 is bad. /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

When I was checking out servers for my clan, I would run ping from DOS. I would get around 90ms on average.

When I got in game my F1 (UT's ping) was closer to 110-120. I can't explain why.

F6 - Netstat, actually incorporates how well the info (ping) from the server is updated on the screen - so it takes into account CPU power (fps) as well.

bullet2.gif

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
The ping is what matters, the HOPS are just extra info. It's tellin ya how many "routers" , if you will, it had to pass through to get to the target. Say you have 2 hops with a ping of 200 (which is 200 milliseconds). Say the time from you to the first router is 100 ms, and the time from the first router to the goal is 100 ms. But if you the time from you to router one was 200 ms. Then your ping would be 300 with still only 2 HOPS. See? So I'd just pay attention to the ping. I could be wrong about this, but that's my understanding of it /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

bullet2.gif

§Kokensu§

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
So I guess it also depends on the server to and what time of day it is. I hated that map so bad Rooster, I had to go download it just so I could conquer it! /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif I still don't get the bad packet loss on the servers! I ran a diagnostic on my modem, and it shows to be working fine I tried moving my modem to different pci slots no luck! I've downloaded and updated everything I could possibly think of at microsoft updates I even benched my system, and its fit as a fiddle! /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

bullet2.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Kok, well yes. You're right.. but..

The fewer hops, the less chance of losing a packet (PL is the biggest killer to online games)

The fewer hops, the lower your ping, because every hop adds a little bit more to your ping.

Yes, ping is the most important consideration. That's why even ISDN 64k guys do well. It's not bandwidth that's an issue - it's the ping. Full digital connection (2-way cable, xDSL, ISDN) is the best route.

bullet2.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
ST - that map was fun to exlpore, and it's well designed for the most part - but I think the creator went into with the idea of "let's see how many gimmicks I can put into one map".

Much of the map was way too dark - basically you couldn't tell if you were about to walk off into nothing or if there was a ledge in front of you. Not fun when running with the flag.

bullet2.gif

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Good point about the packet loss, didn't consider that /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif. But about the hops adding to ping... Don't the programs that calculate ping take into account the layover time at the router? So wouldn't that time be negligable? just askin..Oh by the way, how do I delete a double post, first time for everything haha /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

§Kokensu§

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Ping can be played through, but packet loss is the real killer. You can't frag what you never saw.

BTW, to delete a double post, just edit it and check the Delete box, then hit the Submit button. Gone /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Ping is actually the absolute time it takes 32 bytes (default) of data to hit an IP and return. It doesn't care how many hops (that's what the TTL is for). It doesn't do any fancy calculations. Tracert will basically ping each hop, not just the destination. So if you have 12 hops. It will basically just do one ping to each hop - in essence - 12 single pings.

As for deleting a post.. just click the
edit.gif
icon. Then check the delete box.

bullet2.gif

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
I pinged in on this server the other day with a 130 , you would think thats the greatest thing for a 56ker to do /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif but packet loss was horrible! Even at a low 114 I still get packet loss /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif Why am I getting such poor play with those kind of connections?

bullet2.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Sounds like a shîtty ISP. I had bad pings and worse packet loss with a local ISP even with DSL.

Try another - I can generally recommend Mindspring. I'm not sure how they're doing now that they've merged with Earthlink though.

bullet2.gif

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
ISP definitely, I have ROAD RUNNER which is a cable modem provider and I get packet loss sometimes too. It's just as unplayable as packet loss on any other connection. Ping is irrelevant with PL. sucks. /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

bullet2.gif

§Kokensu§

Super(ST)Trooper

Super Like
Mar 3, 2000
Visit site
Well its one of their nodes I guess thats what you call it. Somewhere between here or there I am losing packets big time I do know that! I'm checking into another IP here in town called Flash Net...

bullet2.gif