Stop Making Games!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Anyone else feel this way?

There are so many games coming out. So many of them look awesome. So many of them will play awesome. But the unfortunate constraints of Time and Money always get in the way! ;)

Games I want to play but probably won't:
City of Heroes
RTCW
Ghost Recon
Many more but if I stay up any longer I'll probably be caught.

Wikkan

Dickhead Fulfilled!
Feb 15, 2001
I haven't seen one game thats new, or is coming out that has interested me. I got Max Payne recently. It was good. Thats about it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
As PC-games go I have only seen two that were worth buying :
- Civ 3 (a sequel, but pretty tough compared to the original)
- IL2-Sturmovik (if it weren't for the damn GPF's :()

McMuffin

The sh¡ttiest Infiltrator
Jul 30, 2000
OR
Newer games are really moving away from what makes the classics (in a bad way)...

Never thought I'd be saying this but: They just don't make em like they used ta :(

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
There are only few truly original games ... :(
it really looks like they've either run out of ideas or they're only interested in money instead of creating a good game.

So far :
- first person shooters : most have that 'been there/done that'-feeling ever since Half-life (RTCW, Red Faction, Unreal 2, Duke Nukem Forever)

- Flight sims : except for Sturmovik I haven't seen one that tried to simulate an original fighter ... (How many Spitfires, Commanches & F-16's do we really need ?)

- RTS : except for graphics there hasn't been any major advancement in gameplay ...

- 3rd person 'adventures' : nothing new since Tombraider was done ...

- Godgames : the Sims & 'B&W' ... and both are getting sequels ...

- Turnbased : except for the Civ-series & that Magic&whatever there are none. Neither had real improvements.

- Sportgames : Madden/Fifa/NBA/F1 200x anyone ? Somebody kill that company please ...

Console-games don't seem to be that much better

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
I'm not thinking in buying games because of real life only and thus the lack of time...

However, I expect 2:
- the Lovecraft one (dunno his name exactly)
- the next Unreal engine that will be used for INF :)

If I had more time:
Sturmovik
and one that looks like the old Pirate game (dunno the name either, Sea Dogs ? But I didn't check the review).

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
DAMN, I FORGOT ONE ...
Neverwinter Nights ... if that's finished & has a real userfriendly editor-interface ... :drool:

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
There is a problem with NWN for the moment...

Bioware want to keep the product for themself and of course Interplay/Titus doesn't agree.
The Titus manager said it will be a good way to buy Bioware at a cheap price if they continue like that...
(Facts: Titus/IPLY refused to pay Bioware for 4-5 months now because they are 11 months late in their schedule, Tiutus/IPLY owns the rights of distribution for that title, so Bioware is somewhat screwed up but all this s<b></b>hit could have an impact on the release date).

BTW, a Baldur's Gate 3 has been announced (without Bioware).

LieLestoSbrat

Can You Count? Sucka's
The way I see the games industry now is that they are just making good looking games with excelent visuals but are just piss easy to complete and little or no replayblity value. The reason for this is, I belive is that they are trying to aim the games for all the lil console kiddies who genrally know jack. The only 2 games im lookin forward to are MOH allied assualt and Unreal 2 (just read a PCZ preview of it and it looks and sounds Awsome :D, if ya want me to for all ya peeps ill scan it)

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
I wish all companies could afford to develop games like 3D realms. They've almost been completely silent for 4 years about their game...and it's still not on the shelves, using a 3 year old engine. But does their parent company bother them? Nope. Deadlines? Nope. Pressure? Probably some, but not the kind that forces them to a release date. They'll be able to get it out, and get it right, their way.

Jafo, I wouldn't call Unreal2 a clone... ;) It looks like nothing we've ever seen before.

UDTSNAKE

heart breaker and life taker
Nov 16, 2001
Good Old USA
Visit site
As a project manager, Ive always wondered about game development. I mean the whole project lifecycle. Is it the same for instance as me creating a new technology for the sake of the old addage.."better, cheaper, faster". Meaning, is the same project methodology and management put in their process as in a more, well, less creative corporate environment. I mean creativity and vision always come with new technology endeavors, but do they use project process and business process redesign tool, are these things scoped out in the analysis phase, doe they wrtite user specs and then tech specs in that phase and sign off on them. Are there risk plans and project plans where people have to deliver action items. Ive worked with some of the more creative types in some projects, I find that they ussually object to highly regimented process asn prefer a more rapid application development style. Whcih can be good but it leaves lots of room for scope creep, missed drop dead dates, and just musch less control.

just curious.

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
Yeah, nothing is really interesting me right now in the way of games. I don't know if I'm spoiled or what. Upcoming games that pique my interest:

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - I actually played the PSX version and enjoyed it. Love (realistic) WW2 themed games, I just wish they'd go all out and not do stupid things like no blood.

Call of Cthulhu FPS - I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, and this game looks like it should be interesting. There's always the problem of Lovecraft's work not being one you really visualize or confront so they'll have to take liberties that might destroy the integrity of the game.

Next Unreal Game w/ Warfare Engine - I don't even bother keeping track of all the Unreal games coming out, but whenever one comes out that can be modded and has the new engine, I'm there. Might actually make another mod too.

That's about it. Right now I'm hooked on Commandos 2, but aside from that I'm not really playing anything right now.

G-Fresh

Red
Aug 6, 2001
Western Mancunia
Hmm... upcoming, promising games...

Hidden & Dangerous 2
Mafia: City of Lost Heaven
MOH Allied Assault
Republic: The Revolution
Freelancer
Jedi Knight 2
Medieval: Total War
Duke Forever
GTA 3

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
// Keganator :
remember how much hype Halo received the first few pictures were shown ? How it would be 'an ultimate game' ...
Now it's released on the X-box and it is awfully quiet.
BrownCow referred to it as Marathon 4 ... talk about an 'original' game ...
I'm afraid U2 will end in the same way. Too much hype now, a lot of 'speculations' and when it's released it is just 'average' graphics & not so great game. Good, but not great ...
That's the reason I don't want to expect too much.
I really hope the storyline can attract as much attention as Half-life did ... but I fear it will dissappoint :(

// G-Fresh :
He! Someone has heard about Lost Heaven too ?
From what I've seen/heard it sounds like it's going to be GTA3 set in the 1920-30's ...
maybe too cool to be true :(