UT3 CTF-Isometric-beta (screens, download)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
Name: CTF-Isometric
Version: Beta (will release one beta and one final)
Compatibility: PC
Description: Set in an industrial liquid treatment plant. The name stems from the symmetrical layout and (i hope) balanced gameplay. The term isometric comes from the Greek for "having equal measurement".
Comments: I hope it's fun. couple notes on the gameplay.
- grab flag and hammer jump to upper deck.
- on the side ramps entering the middle area, you can hammer jump to the damage amp.

**any comments would be appreciated.

- still needs a few tweaks. lighting needs some more work.

Download: CTF-Isometric-Beta.zip

Screenshots:

Credits: the awesome game, these forums, beyond unreal forums and hourences tutorials
Download: CTF-Isometric-Beta.zip

Last edited:

dura1198

Feb 18, 2008
I'm diggin this map. Looking forward to getting it on a server and seeing how it plays online. CTF needs more love.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
I really like the way how this map is obviously diagonal. Many maps are but here it hit the eyes and sort of distract in a nice way. :) I like it. Belt vs. health is probably balanced. I don't like double vest in the middle, looks odd. Maybe if entrances were further from each other. Or put vests into bases and put thigh pads and helmet into the center, so there are two different armor pieces there.

The main issue with layout is that it holds the same height level all the time (see picture). The view is not blocked either which makes it too open. I would move the central area down or up somehow (the whole center with both floors I mean) and in case it goes down some arches or walls could block the view to the other side. Now it's way too open. I don't have any detailed comments to placement right now, so far the "z-axis boredom" is probably the biggest issue. You can maybe raise the upper level, lower the lower floor and put the blocking wall into the middle - that way you could place two powerups both into the center if needed. ;-)

Attachments

• iso1.jpg
    iso1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 30

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
I really like the way how this map is obviously diagonal. Many maps are but here it hit the eyes and sort of distract in a nice way. :) I like it. Belt vs. health is probably balanced. I don't like double vest in the middle, looks odd. Maybe if entrances were further from each other. Or put vests into bases and put thigh pads and helmet into the center, so there are two different armor pieces there.

The main issue with layout is that it holds the same height level all the time (see picture). The view is not blocked either which makes it too open. I would move the central area down or up somehow (the whole center with both floors I mean) and in case it goes down some arches or walls could block the view to the other side. Now it's way too open. I don't have any detailed comments to placement right now, so far the "z-axis boredom" is probably the biggest issue. You can maybe raise the upper level, lower the lower floor and put the blocking wall into the middle - that way you could place two powerups both into the center if needed. ;-)

sorry for the delayed reply.

thanks a lot for trying out the map and posting comments.

I have been thinking about your suggestions. I have moved the powerups and done something different with the area the vests are. stay tuned for the final on that.

about the middle area being too open. the original plan was to have it open. kind of a spam fan. wanted the center area to be open like thorns or something but bigger and more z axis fighting and more complex bases to make it bigger. but, your point is well taken. if I did block the center area and raise the middle bridge it would also improve performance. so I am considering it. I will mess with it over the weekend.

thanks again for taking the time and even producing a jpg. :D

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Picture is better than words and I was always most open to suggestions about my maps when they were accompanied with pictures. You mentioned Thorns... I don't like that map because it's pure spam and no tactic whatsoever. With bots - in addition to those weak points - it's more than normal spam, it's shock and rocket spam. I played one remake of Thorns because we had it in Insite review queue and we refused to do it because it would score <3. Isometric is better even now - but trust me - if you go for serious or even partially serious map than nearly always: too open and straight = bad. :) I'm glad that you have one more motivation (performance) to rethink it because it would really raise the map considerably.

It would be great if someone else try the map as well in case my idea is completely wrong. :)

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
Picture is better than words and I was always most open to suggestions about my maps when they were accompanied with pictures. You mentioned Thorns... I don't like that map because it's pure spam and no tactic whatsoever. With bots - in addition to those weak points - it's more than normal spam, it's shock and rocket spam. I played one remake of Thorns because we had it in Insite review queue and we refused to do it because it would score <3. Isometric is better even now - but trust me - if you go for serious or even partially serious map than nearly always: too open and straight = bad. :) I'm glad that you have one more motivation (performance) to rethink it because it would really raise the map considerably.

It would be great if someone else try the map as well in case my idea is completely wrong. :)

maybe thorns was a bad example, because yeah thats not really what I am going for. I actually like thorns, but in moderation. I just wanted this map to have intense gameplay with a chance for the defender to catch the flag carrier.

I did take on your suggestion though. the performance issue tipped it. I dont know if it looks as good but oh well. its still fun. plus with the bridge up higher it makes for some different gameplay situations.

http://p3rplx3d.com/media/maps/screens/new1.jpg
http://p3rplx3d.com/media/maps/screens/new2.jpg
http://p3rplx3d.com/media/maps/screens/new3.jpg

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
That's one of possible solutions :)

Also... "I just wanted this map to have intense gameplay with a chance for the defender to catch the flag carrier."... think of lower floor that still very flat - some variance in height is nice (both from visual and gameplay point of view). If it went down and up flag carrier must walk more so + you can still leave opportunity to toss xloc across that middle bridge. That's an advantage for chasing defender but also with the surprise what might be on the other side (because the view is now blocked).

I understand your issue with how the bridge looks. Something is strange and the path from inside is not fixed (if I see it right). However you can partially rise the interiors on the sides to make the way up smoother and there are many ways how to tweak the bridge - make it wider maybe (just trying, not sure about it). Now it's not really right architecturaly - but the old architecture was very boring anyway, so you can experiment with that middle layout a little while you feel it right.

It's definitelly step into right direction.

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
I understand your issue with how the bridge looks. Something is strange and the path from inside is not fixed (if I see it right).

I think you may be looking at the lifts. those left side area's have a lift that takes you to the bridge now.

The floor coud use some more variations (first post, second pic)

Btw, why do you make screenshots of a match? Would be better if you hide your weapon and walk alone through the level. In the last picture one can see a playermodel and some kind of weaponeffekt, but a small piece only of the map itself.

p3rplx3d

in the desert
Mar 22, 2008
surprise, az
here are some almost final screens. it actually seems a bit brighter in game than the shots represent. It's pretty fun, lift jumps, some good hammer jump options. the left side has been opened up and I added a new way to get the shield. the high bridge is pretty fun. you can get a lot of in-air kills on it. runs a lot better than the beta did.

quick question, I have not found out how to turn the HUD stuff (at the bottom of the screens) off and I cant see how to spectate in a bot match. any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: