what the crap is that Inf3.0 announcement about?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Not trying to be an ass here, but where is that announcement coming from ? Is this a late april fools or am i missing something ?
Seriously darkstar, i totally and wholeheartedly support any effort toward making a new game, but do you have sentry studios endorsement for this? If not, it might be a wise thing not to call it "Infiltration".
Do you plan to do this on you own? No offense again, but it might a little ambitious considering the expectations that are behind a new Inf version in the community (and considering that a whole team of coders/mappers/3D artists didn't manage to achieve it...)

And lastly, if you're serious about it, you might wanna take some community feedback before making a game called "Infiltration" and changing some key elements of gameplay (for example adding a class system when it's something that Inf has been trying to avoid all along).

That said, good luck ;)

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Just read it too. Roles/classes are not what inf stands for. I certainly wouldn't like that. A for effort but if you're going to change too much don't call it infiltration.

STELLAR 7

Why the urge to improve yourself?
Nov 17, 2005
Endorsement~jeez ant I mean really. You guys are always quick to jump on that shit, bunch of angry misers.
To quote the stupid facebook movie, a guy who builds a nice chair doesn't owe money to whomever has built a chair. Now you might argue semantics to show that the case is different here--but really, it's not.

I stand by my earlier suggestion. Call it Impact Theatre.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Yeah but to call it a chair if it doesn't have any back is stupid, why not call it a stool then. And i'm actually not that angry, i'm pretty happy that someone is developing something. Provided that it doesn't have a class system.

Nice sig btw, i don't remember saying any of this nor do i have any idea of what i meant :p

STELLAR 7

Nov 17, 2005
lol yes, we were probably having an in depth philosophical discussion as usual.
I updated some stuff in SoldierPlus mutator for INF, but I have to test it online first before I release it. You probably haven't even heard of it :p

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Still developing for Inf ? Man if you add up all the time you spent coding on UT since Inf has started being a living corpse, my guess if that it would be more than enough to have learned to code on the unreal engine 3 instead. This, is making me an angry miser. So much wasted potential... And don't tell me it's a computer thing, you must have had 3 different computers since the last time you pulled out that excuse!

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Whatever the entire community has pulled off for INF since it became a "living corpse", would be just a small fraction of the effort that would be necessary to develope a new INF on a new engine.

So there is no need to be angry at anything and anybody. Also, if you think making a mod/game is as simple as that, than you might be wrong. I imagine it's a nightmare of work (if it is supposed to be worth anything), but that of course depends on the game you make. A 1st person realism tactical shooter is a nightmare full of work.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
I'm not talking about about a full game, i know better than that. I'm talking about a decent terminator mutator on a new engine. But inigo knows what i'm talking about :p

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I am not even talking about a full game either. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I think it's not that easy.

Do you mean a simple mutator with a gun and freeaim for a new engine? What use would it be? Noboy wants that.

STELLAR 7

Nov 17, 2005
NEF I've had 3 different computers since 2000 A.D.
And when Unreal Engine 3 was made available I was on my second computer which is only a single core. Granted it meets the requirements to run UDK and some UE3 games, it's rather slow to load and use the editor when a lot of objects start to crop up.
Now I'm in Korea teaching English, and the situation is thus that my uncle got me a substandard laptop that is even worse off at running the UDK editor. I mean the thing is choppy when there's absolutely empty space in the viewport. I'm actually disappointed at the optimization standards on that one. I can, however, afford a decent desktop, but it's not really practical given my current lifestyle.
So yeah, it's still a computer thing.

I've looked at some UDK stuff though back home. On the programming side, things seem easier to do. Looks like there's a lot of useful streamlined functionality that allows quick prototyping. The long part is to create all the graphics and shit, and of course to learn and get familiar with the engine.
See with INF, I'm already so comfortable with it I can just pick it up and make something unreal. Also because I'm lazy. Seriously, I recently developed an overly convoluted algorithm to generate an instantaneous beam laser; something that I'm pretty sure hasn't been done yet with the 13-year old engine. I pride myself in that achievement :p
Actually I'm thinking to look back into UT2004 again (this laptop can handle that), for the time being anyway.

A simple mutator with a gun and freeaim is a start. You can build on it and extend it to something more. It's been suggested to start humbly like that. It's like a golden rule for wouldbe game devs: don't set out to make a game. Jeez.

Last edited by a moderator: