Checking in...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

St0rmcaller

[AFA]'s unoffical godfather
Apr 4, 2001
United States of America
Good to see some of the old guard still alive and kickin' at least. Every time I try a new FPS I can't but help to think of the things that INF did so long ago, and that no game has even come close. Everytime I play a crappy map, I think of the INF mappers, especially Raek and Funk, knowing how well they did on an engine that was old even when INF was in its prime.

Whenever I see circle strafers, I think of what yurch did with his yurchbat to combat unrealisticshooting, moving, communicating. (Remember the yurch tackle? o_O)

I remember so many quality people working on what was effectively dinosaur game code, and making and molding into something that even today's tech can't compete with.

It's so sad. With so many years of innovation since INF 2.9, nothing has come close. The free aim, the movement, the collision. But one thing no game could ever have was the people of INF. It makes me think fondly of ages ago, and I realize that what we had with Infiltration was indeed so special, there can truly never be another like it.

And yet, we seek it still.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
It's so sad. With so many years of innovation since INF 2.9, nothing has come close. The free aim, the movement, the collision. But one thing no game could ever have was the people of INF. It makes me think fondly of ages ago, and I realize that what we had with Infiltration was indeed so special, there can truly never be another like it.
What makes me sad is the fact that I was not around from the very beginning. I am glad though I was around when 2.9 was released, I remember the excitement of waiting when it was only few hours away from release and then the first testing rounds with all the folks you knew from the forum (I still remember like it was yesterday, the first gun I tested on CTF-INF-Border was the new shotgun). Great times!

ragingsamster

oldfartis nongratis
Jun 4, 2001
Washington
Visit site
Echoing the sentiments here, the current crop of shooter are more sparkly, but Infiltration still has not been surpassed. It's such a shame when every new game comes out and Inf still wins overall. I miss SOBservers *sigh*

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
Good to see some of the old guard still alive and kickin' at least. Every time I try a new FPS I can't but help to think of the things that INF did so long ago, and that no game has even come close. Everytime I play a crappy map, I think of the INF mappers, especially Raek and Funk, knowing how well they did on an engine that was old even when INF was in its prime.

Whenever I see circle strafers, I think of what yurch did with his yurchbat to combat unrealisticshooting, moving, communicating. (Remember the yurch tackle? o_O)

I remember so many quality people working on what was effectively dinosaur game code, and making and molding into something that even today's tech can't compete with.

And yet, we seek it still.

Nothing comes close to infiltration. it was just so cool. Too bad it works badly with laptops. The developers can be proud that this game is still praised as the best, the forum is still alive, 5 years after.. I always come back to this forum..

GalZohar

Feb 27, 2008
Ramat Hasharon, Israel
I do think Arma 2 is somewhat compareable on the levels of realism. Sure Inf did a lot of things better, but Arma 2 also does a lot of things better than Inf, and imo it wins out in the end. Of course for 10 years later you'd expect a lot more than what Arma 2 provides, but we don't really have a choice. So for good measure I'll spam this link again because Inf and DTAS is what I had in mind when I made it so I really want all ex (and current) Inf players to do their best to get it played on servers...

Last edited:

PoDS

Clan Limey Psychopath
Mar 24, 2001
infiltrator.homestead.com
Welcome, PoDS.
You last visited: 22nd Aug 2001 at 08:21 PM

:D

i saw an Arma 2 trailer and :nostalgia: kicked in, so i started googling INF related stuff. Now im gonna look for a thread with downloads and how-to-install :)

i guess i never really used these forums, judging by my postcount and join/visit dates, but i was very very much into this game, it was my first encounter with online gaming, and now 10 years later i still suffer from that encounter

Last edited:

Catalyst

science begets death
Jul 18, 1999
CA, USA
Wow... I can't believe they keep this forum up and running. Good to see some of you old chaps still kickin' around. I should get Infiltration up and running again one of these days. Just wanted to pop in and say "hi" again to everyone that remembers me! :D

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
Man, seeing these names bring back a bunch of great memories. Hi Raek, subby, yurch, Storm, Chronic, etc. etc. Time certainly does fly.

What's new with me you ask? Well... I got married this summer (proof attached), live in the 'burbs, work downtown Denver for corporate America, and we just got a puppy. Life is grand!

Attachments

• DD3_5736.jpg
    DD3_5736.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 56

Lt.Col.BoyHitsCar

AFA Member & Beta Team Target
Feb 18, 2002
Visit site
awesome, congrats ERE.

I always poke around here to make sure I'm not missing anything these days.

still in Dallas, working for the Dept of Justice and watching the Superbowl preparations from my office this week.

still play FPS games but I cannot play even my favorite without always getting frustrated and thinking to myself that we had "this problem" solved 8 years ago... why can't they fix it in this game.

basically play Battlefield2:Bad Company 2, sports games and every so often I play the Call of Duty games.

Married with a kiddo now days...

and as always still waiting for something to replace Infiltration as the closest to reality FPS game.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Congrats erehwoN. :D

It is nice to see old names around here. During my Christmas vacation, I hopped on the INF servers a little, but haven't seen much action. Other than that, I pretty much left gaming behind me as I moved oversees to Germany. I didn't bring my gaming computer along the ride as it was supposed to be only for a short period. Now it seems that its going to be for quite longer. :eek:

TheWhaleShark

This world is spinning around me
Dec 14, 2001
A little to the left.
www.rit.edu
So Raekwon is ConArtist now? Cool. I dig your games. I wind up spending entirely too much time on Kongregate.

I still haven't found anything as tactical as Inf was. My guess is that there's just no market for this sort of game any more. Console gaming dominates, and I can't imagine trying to pull this off on a console.

Good times, though. Good times.

Night Hawk

Mar 26, 2001
the Netherlands
Visit site
I agree with all the sentiments posted in this topic here. I was never a big poster on these forums, but I was a big INF fan. And every once in a while I come back to the infiltration website in some fleeting hope it has been updated. I remember the time when everybody was playing CS while I just couldn't play it because I was 'tainted' with infiltration's realism. Haven't played much FPS games since, cause I kept comparing them to INF and I'm still doing that. And I can't play ARMA2 now though cause my computer is getting to old.