some ideas

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
2 voice messages, one saying possible enemy the other saying enemy spotted. The idea is that you aim at where you thing the enemy is and then press send either message depending on how certain you are and it automatically puts the location you are aiming at. it could even change depending on how close you were, if you were sniping from the distance it might just say "north west house" or something, but if you werte in the house it could say "2nd floor east room". i wouldnt be too hard to do considerimng there are already locations used in the maps, they would just need to be more specific. what might be hard is the lack of crosshairs, you cant see what you are looking at exactly so you might aim at a different hiding place. if this was implemented it would really help the snipers role as an observer, instaed of just a long range killer as it is now

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Would be a neat feature but it'd be dependent on the mappers to put the locations in there. But an offshoot of this idea is to have a command that would tell your bots to go to the direction that you were facing instead of having to run out to the spot and do the "Hold this position" command. It'd let the sniper "direct traffic" from the good view position that he's in already.

Acey4 NA

Nov 27, 2000
*******CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG*********[not flame]

The ywa I understood it is that if you point at a location and the voice coomand would say "enemy near here" or if your pointing exactly on it would say "enemy spotted", in a way you could just use this as a cheating thing, even if there is an enemy behind that wall, but your not sure, it will tell you if he is or not.

Refer to Pacmans sig to the content of this post, thank you.

Hannibal

Jan 6, 2000
Visit site
You're wrong

It would have to work on a line-of-sight basis(UT already has something that automatically detects whether you are pointing your weapon at a player that is in your line-of-sight, and displays the name of the player)

it should be able to work. you can already identify players by aiming at them and when you talk in a named zone it says what zone you are in, so just put the two together and...

however, it would be up to the mapper to put massive amounts of zones in the map and actually give them useful names (ie not "outside" and "downstairs") i'm not sure what the zone limit is, but i think it's pretty high (i'd guess 255)

Lost

monkey.gif

<a href="http://aheinzmn.resnet.rutgers.edu" target="_blank">My kick ass web page</a>

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Actually, the limit is 63 according to the Unreal Technology website. Stumbled upon that number while trying to find info on my damn graphical cracks problem happening in my map. Other than the limit, when you start dividing your levels into zones, really freaky stuff starts to happen (like those freakin' BSP holes... ARGHARGH!!!!).

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
not a cheat

you would choose to say whether the enemy was certain or not, that way no cheating. an this could lead to people flanking an enemy that wasnt there because of a false spotting. that would rock

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
It's a good suggestion but I don't think it can be done to the effect that you're looking for. Location strings are part of ZoneInfo actors and these actors are used more for partitioning up the map for special effects than location reference.

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Yep, that's keyed off of ZoneInfo actors. You can use them as location identifers and nothing else by closing off regions of your map with sheet brushes (that's how to you define a zone). But that only works for indoor maps. For outdoor maps, it's more difficult to partition zones correctly with all those sheet brushes cutting up the BSP this way and that. I tried that to fix another graphical glitch and it really messed things up.

Maybe some other actor like the light actor can be modified to do the same thing. Or even the path node actor because they're plastered everywhere and bots would have to know how to get there anyways.

[This message was edited by Dupre on Feb 16, 2001 at 15:09.]

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
would there be a way of...

would it be possible to have one zone inside another, if they modified an actor like Dupre said. thne you could have some sort of heierarchy. something like NW crate, W warehouse. with the crate zone inside the warehouse zone. all these zones qould probably lead to the need for a compass, but that has already been discussed. but one szone inside another would be good, then you could have change the accuracy of the report depending on what zone you are in.

eg. four zones: 1, 2, 3 and 4

4 is in 3, 3 is in 2, and 2 is in 1.

if you are in zone 1 then you report the sighting in just zone 2, but if you are in zone 2 then you report the sighting in zone 3 which is in zone 2 which is in zone 1. and if you are in zone four it becomes even more specific.

im not an excellent coder and so i dont know how hard this will be, but i understand maths and computers quite well, and it should understand that when an object is in one place it makes one report, and if it is in a zone inside another zone, then it adds a bit to the end of the message.

I know this would depend a lot on the mapper placing these points but it would be cool if they did it well