What games do you recommend for LAN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
Got a bit of sweet money to spend and since all we've been playing on the LAN is UT and Age Of Empires, was wondering if you people could recommend some decent games.

The only games I dont like are driving simulators. (Not funny driving games with big arse weapons, just simulators like GT)

BTW I have Half-Life and was wondering if it was worth DL CounterStrike? Never played it and I would have to leave the comp on over night to DL it, but would it be worth it?

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
since you have half-life download counterstrike and Day of defeat, both require alot of friends to make it fun.

also get Age of Empires 2, and diablo 2. I cant think of anything else really.

Pretty much anything is great over a lan with friends, and its even funner if you have broad band and sharing the internet connection. You do that and you can go into multiplayer games online and work together to kick some ass in Day of defeat. :)

if you're going to share the internet connection remember the gateway (the comp with the DSL/cable) has to have 2 network cards. One for the DSL/cable and one for the HUB.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
Originally posted by _Zd_3s_
Codename Eagle

It's big fun on a LAN. Just great! :D

Screenies
Codename Eagle is the SH1T! That game is FUN
Also Id recommend SoF+Mappack 1, that's what we usually play at our LAN Parties, that and the Gore multiplayer demo, oh and UT!, CS and Tribes 2 if anyone has it, not to mention other games like Quake 3 or Serious Sam or something, we have a ****load of fun at our LAN Parties especially the ones who dont have cable or DSL(like me) because I get to use it all day

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
Here's what has been getting the most pt (jeez I havent used that abbreviation since high school basketball!) on my LAN:

Deus Ex (you need the multiplayer patch)
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 along with Yuri's Revenge expansion

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
StarCraft: great because it's good, but you might as well just play it over battle.net don't need a lan to play that at it's best
Diablo II: same as starcraft
Half Life: A definate must, especally for counterstrike.
UnrealTournament: Best fps DM game ever.
RTCW: This game is just freaking cool!
Black & White: If you haven't played this GET IT NOW! It's great and it's really fun on a lan, because you can just play with your creature without worring about your friends killing you...unless your friends just hate you
Worms Armagadden: You only need one computer to play this turn based worm combat game. It's the funniest game you'll ever play.
Halo: Yeah halo rules.
Tribes II: The best team combat game out there is what I'm told, but my computer isn't fast enough to support it.

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
q3 team arena the maps are godly and the pseudo player classes add alot of fun. and the kamikazi makes is an awsome sight to behold makes the deemer look like a ***** toy.

TwoHardCore

Feb 1, 2000
Calgary, Canada
I'd avoid CS altogether and go d/l StrikeForce for UT. IMO it's a much, much better game (with very similar styles) of TDM and it even has DM too!!

There's also:

RallyMaster 3 - awesome on a LAN or even over the net (up to 8 ppl)
NHL2002 - never played on a LAN, but it's awesome over the net
Serious Sam - Coop mode rules
Unreal - Coop mode rules
eRacer - awesome racing game, cool on a LAN!
Q2 - almost everyone has this, it's ok for a while

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Serious sam would rock too I didn't even think of that one.

What we usually do is just burn a bunch of copies of our games, so if we wanted to play SC they'd just whip out the CD and burn a few copies for everyone.
After the lan, the copies of the CDs go back to the owner of the CD, so that the people can only play the game for the period that they are at the lan party. It's really the only way to do it since most people won't have the games that you want to play.