Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Ok, I F###ing hate steam now. I can't play it - I've opened the ports up on my firewall, followed every damned instruction on the Steam help page, and I STILL CAN'T PLAY!

Agh. This is annoying as hell. "This game is currently unavailable. Please try again later." Going to try a couple more undocumented things and reboot.. Lets hope that fixes it.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Its amazing how much coordination is required to get some of the achievements. The no friendly fire one? Good luck with a PUG!

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Ok, got it to work, and... holy crap, this game is amazing. I'm surprised at how fluid the gameplay is.

It feels like Serious Sam, but.. actually serious, as if I weren't just shooting zombies. There was a thrill to it. Never has a game with a minimal (read: barely existent) storyline been so interesting. I haven't even tried online, yet, but I definitely will soon.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I haven't even tried online, yet, but I definitely will soon.

The co-op part is absolutely a blast. A few of us were playing it tonight.

There always seems to be moments that really stick out in your mind thanks to the somewhat random nature of the attacks.

We were wrapping up the final Airport level and just about everyone was on the chopper when A THIRD Tank bounds into the scene and literally rips me right off of the chopper's ramp and proceeds to pound me into the pavement. By then a swarm of zombies had overtaken me and my safety was a lost cause. :D

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Versus is the most fun. I was in a PUG with 3 other guys, and 3 of us were on voice. We were going through the map all crouched down, each watching a side. Didn't work completely, but it was pretty cool :p

I love the full game. Those finales absolutely insane, I haven't finished any yet.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
QFT.

You all need to be on voice too, Rambo tactics don't work on Advanced & Expert.

That one I'm trying to figure out. Since I switched my desktop soundcard over to an external recording box (EMU 0404), I'm not sure I'll be able to get a headset to actually WORK with it, since the inputs are XLR/Line Level. I mean, if I can get it to work with my nice vox mic on a mic stand, I guess I'll use that, but obviously, a headset would be a better choice (since the mic would block my view in quite an obnoxious manner :p)

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Everywhere I go or see, all I get on this game is the sense that Valve is trying to cash in on the popularity of zombie mods for Garry's Mod. :eek:

In fact, it looks like a combination of Zombie Invasion and Zombie Survival, both for GMod..

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Brizz, that is true. I saw a guy do it a couple of times, he just told us to stand back and he would take care of it. We were all like "what the hell, you're gonna get killed!" but he just gave it one shot and there :p

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I'll have to keep that in mind about the witch.

I'm finding that I'm using dual pistols more and more. It has a bit of a slower reload, but it is super powerful and if you hit the trigger fast enough it has a faster firing rate than the m16. Also, when you're being swarmed I found if you hit reload, and then start melee'ing, you'll still be reloading and after a few melee hits you'll be good to start shooting again.

Pistols are also accurate enough, when crouched, to get headshots at a distance.

Using dual pistols I find I'm topping the most killed charts quite often.

When a hoard is rushing you, just aim for head level, and spam that trigger. On smaller groups I'm able to wipe them out before they even get to us. Its crazy. If a few get through then beat them to the ground.

The hunting rifle is good for clearing groups too. The rounds can pass through multiple targets in a line at once. So when when in a corridor and a hoard is rushing you they'll be so clumped up that you just have to put a few rounds into it and you'll probably kill most of them.

There is no more satisfying feeling than when a hunter tries to pounce you, or anyone, but you react first and melee it then proceed to keep beating on him until it is dead without it ever having hit you once. Stupid hunter. I did the same to a smoker once. That was nice too.

Last edited:

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Thus far I personally think the shotguns are THE weapons to use in this game.. Mostly because the SMGs/ARs just chew through ammo way too fast.

Tried to headshot a witch with the shotgun, didn't work. Man, she waylaid me, and it was hilarious. The atmosphere before was great, too..

I love tossing a pipebomb and watching the horde run after it.

Definitely agree with the functionality of dual pistols. After I've depleted a fully loaded shotty, rather than reloading, I just switch to pistols when I'm still in a firefight. MUCH safer.

Once I figure out a good way to get a mic working, I'll hop online.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The autoshotty is the best gun in the game, hands down. The fire rate and damage it does are just too high, and it's really the only worthwhile weapon against the tank. Get him on fire with four people autohotgun him and he goes down really quick.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
The autoshotty is the best gun in the game, hands down. The fire rate and damage it does are just too high, and it's really the only worthwhile weapon against the tank. Get him on fire with four people autohotgun him and he goes down really quick.

I disagree. The asskicker rifle can save you so much trouble ahead of time (by cleaning heads off) and during a scrum (point crosshairs at heads, mow down horde).

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
M16 is the best in my opinion. Functions as a sniper rifle and ultimate spray machine in one fun package. And although you'll go through your clip fairly quickly if you're constantly shooting, the reload time is very fast.

I'm not a fan of the shotguns because once you get through your 'clip', it takes ages to reload the gun to full capacity again (and firing after loading a couple of shots is very inefficient because of the time it takes to prep the gun after loading). Autoshotty may be incredibly powerful shot-for-shot, but in the most hectic situations it also leaves you compromised for longest. Personally I stick to the M16 and hunting rifle.