Mutator *always* running?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Traktion

Nov 2, 2004
I have been exploring the possibilities of the TcpLink class and was wondering if you can have a mutator that is always running in the background of UT2004 (client side) so that you can get it to act as a server of sorts?

I read on another thread that the index.ut2 map was always running in the background (correct?), so that got me thinking there may be a way to tie in to it that way.

Has anyone toyed around with a concept like this and if so, could you give me any pointers?

Thanks in advance,
Traktion

Rythmix

Sep 1, 2004
i think its impossible to run a mutator client side when going online to thwart off the ability to make aimbots and run then client side on someone's server.

Traktion

Nov 2, 2004
Well, the server can/will have the mutator installed on it as well as I only need it for LAN operation. This means there won't be a problem with mismatching mutators on the server and such, so I was hoping that this would be possible. Does anyone else have any further information regarding this?

EDIT: I guess, thinking further, if I'm going to control both the client and the server, then theorectically, I could edit the ut2k4 unrealscript source to do this. Before I delve deeper, does anyone know if this would be more fruitfull than the above?

Last edited:

Beyond 1337
Oct 28, 2004
Dude, you don't just go editing the stock UT2004 code. Version mismatches and general ugliness ensue. It would be broken with each new patch (because patches replace those packages). Plus you'll more than likely run into EULA troubles.

Traktion

Nov 2, 2004
I'm aware that it would cause mismatches and stuff, but I don't need it to connect to public servers, so that shouldn't matter. If I'm not distributing the code, would that still cause EULA problems?