Renzien for 2k4 [first character model]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Hi! This is my first character model, and frankly I'm a little confused about something, but I'll get to that in a bit. It's almost done; hopefully it'll be done within a week or two as I've got about ten animations left to do and the rest is tweaking.

I've been working on this for more or less two months, on my days off and after work. Started in blender, moved to max.

RenShot-1.jpg

As you can see, he has no arms, and holds the weapon in a hood. The weapons pull inside said hood for storage and such.

Due to the.. uh, nature, of this particular character, using pre-existing character rigs was completely out of the question. So I've animated it myself. 8D

The below flv's are just two or three secconds long, of course.

RenRunF.gif

Idle:
Ren-Specific.gif

Gesture_Point:

Gesture_Beckon:

Gesture_Halt:

With those in mind, I have to ask. This is what I'm confused about:

This is my first character model. I am not an art student. I got an epiphany around last halloween, put it to paper, had a friend with better drawing skills than mine whip up a reference sheet [thanks again, gryph 8D], learned blender, built this, exported [blender2psk has massive issues], got max, learned max, finished this.

I am completely self taught in all this, and I'm sitting here looking at the animations I've done, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why everybody just uses existing animations. I mean, yeah, 81[+] animations is more than a little tedious and all, but this really isn' that difficult to do. o_O

Edit: Beta available for download; 1.3 mb. I'm not entirely sure "beta" is the correct term; it is basically done, aside from some minor problems I need to work out.

Last edited:

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
a place that only I can exist in
its funny cause i said the same thing. You're right, why dont people make their own? I can think of some issues why like maybe people use PLE versions of Maya and other programs where they cant support full custom animation on the plugins, but other than that i dont get it either. Kinda looks like a zergling btw,

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Btw there's an issue with teamskins. Namely, I somehow ended up with the "head" tex being the first on the list and the "body" tex being the second. The result is only his head plate is blue, which is pointless, since it's inside the body most of the time.

I've switched it in max, so the body is the first, but it doesn't change anything when I export. What the deuce.

"TeamFace=1", the upl flag or whatever you wanna call it thats supposed to let you use team coloring for the head, does nothing.

Vailias

Aug 9, 2004
Elsewhere
www.starsiege2845.com
Materials are sorted alphabetically on export. So be sure to name them something that will sort properly. SKIN1_Head SKIN2_Body tend to work well.

As for TeamFace, just be sure your team colored face textures follow the same naming convention as the body textures.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Remember you named it correctly? The textures I mean.
TextureName
TextureName_0 <-red team
TextureName_1 <-blue team
4 team support:
TextureName_2 <-green team
TextureName_3 <-yellow team

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
....Lol, my animation file is 29.6 mb. What.

Made a new animation file, imported everything... now it's 2.25 mb. 8D

Beta soon, possibly as early as an hour or two

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Alright, link to beta in OP.

...one of the things thats bugging me is when you stop, it sorta... keeps running a little, very slowly. Any idea whats goin' on here?