Music recommendations please

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DFB

Creeping Death
May 25, 2003
England
Visit site
Im looking to branch out a bit. Can anyone recommend me some music please?

If I were to say my favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, what would you recommend that is kinda inline with that?

And also can anyone recommend any jazz? never really listened to it before, but id like to give it a go.

Thanks

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
DFB said:

If I were to say my favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, what would you recommend that is kinda inline with that?

And also can anyone recommend any jazz? never really listened to it before, but id like to give it a go.

Thanks

ok, looking at your favourite bands I'd say that there's no help for you but I won't give you up so quickly anyways ;)

The Electronic Soft Parade british rock... with a bit psychedelia

Phantom Planet, accesible indie rock

Dashboard Confessional, mix between indie, alternative and emo rock. MTV picked them up recently(to my dismay) first heard soemthign about them from my gf so I'm a bit biased towards them :)

Echo & The Bunnymen, dream pop/ alternative rock. playing since the 70's. Got into them recently.

deerhoof - indie rock/experimental/noise , I'm especially digging their "Apple O" album. You like them or you dont... but if you like them you're surely having a weird taste :) (just now I'm listenign to "Heart Failure" from them... )

Papa M, formerly known as Aerial M(and some other a.k.a.'s) former band member of zwan(and much more other bands) Try to get ahold of his "Hole of burning Alms"

Franz Ferdinand - scottish indie rock band. the press was really digging their debut album. Usually when the press likes an album it sucks ( see: the strokes, the vines, the white stripes' last album), but Franz Ferdinand(I wonder why they use such a german name) are really good.

for Jazz, try to get the soundtrack to the anime Cowboy Bebop, lots of good jazz. Or get a best of album by Miles Davis and see if Jazz floats your boat(just dont get one of these awful jazz techno remix albums... how I'd like to shoot the person who came up with that idea)

btw. if you want to read more about these bands or other suggestions, this is the best music research site you'll find on the web. I really suggest you to do some reading there
http://www.allmusic.com/

Jun 3, 2001
England
Visit site
DFB said:

If you like Metallica i suggest Testament, Machine Head (check out their latest album) and Arch Enemy. If you like them let me know and i can give you a more extensive list of bands to check out :)

If you like Guns N Roses i suggest you check out Velvet Revolver. This is basically Slash (ex GnR guitarist) and a few other ex GnR members with Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots. They've been getting rave reviews everyone i've looked so i'd say they're worth checking out (and you know it'll be good).

For a similar band to RATM i suggest Audioslave which is all members of Rage with a different singer (Chris Cornell from Soundgarden).

For bands like Offspring/Millencolin i suggest NOFX, Greenday, Bad Religion and Pennywise.

If you like emo (you noted Hundred Reasons) then maybe check out Thursday, Homegrown and Finch.

Hopefully that will help, those bands are all in the style of/similar to what you listed liking.

GeneticFreak

evolves and survives
Jazz...

For beginners you may start with Norah Jones, or Robbie Williams' album "swing when you're winning"

If you feel the need for more chillout, theres a wide range of artists with different jazz styles, like (i dont know what to call the genre, why think about genres anyway)

-Morcheeba: soft, electronic, and have that "future chillout" jazz
others in this chillout style are Moloko, Sade

-David Benoit: your high-class 5star hotel lobby/cafe jazz
basically most jazz you find in the stores are like this, including Dave Koz, Fourplay

-Louis Armstrong: what your parents call Jazz...
along with Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra

-Jamiroquai: (amazing if you never heard his style)
other acid jazzers are Incognito and The Brand New Heavies

theres probably alot more styles but thats all I know

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Dream Theater.

Try the new album, Train of Thought. Heavy stuff.
Try the song "Endless Sacrifice" or if you want a shorter song and quicker download(;)) try "As I Am".

Or, if you like girls having orgasms in the middle of songs download "Home" from the album "Scenes From a Memory".

DFB

Creeping Death
May 25, 2003
England
Visit site
Twisted Metal said:
Dream Theater.

Try the new album, Train of Thought. Heavy stuff.
Try the song "Endless Sacrifice" or if you want a shorter song and quicker download(;)) try "As I Am".

Or, if you like girls having orgasms in the middle of songs download "Home" from the album "Scenes From a Memory".

Shorter song? :eek: its 8 minutes! But I like so far (nice solo)

Very much looking forward to Velvet Revolver, and ive had Audioslaves album for quite a while now, it rocks.

Can anyone recommend like a best of type album for louis armstrong or anything like that?

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
lol it's progressive rock man it's common for songs to be ridiculously long. The rest of the songs on that CD are about 10-14 minutes apiece with some insane solos and instrumentals :D

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Echo & The Bunnymen are indeed "teh win". I hadn't heard them till I watched Donny Darko but I am now an addict. My favourite album so far is "Heaven Up Here".

Morcheeba
See also: Spacek, Hefner (not the indie band)

Mxtrmntr

(Formerly known as Mxtrmntr)
Nov 3, 2001
The Island of the Day Before
Visit site
DFB said:

Thanks

If you were to say that your favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, I'd look at you weirdly and run away. Or so ;)

Err, anyway, my infinite wisdom and far superior taste (;), to avoid confusion) shall give you a few recommendations nontheless. I remember that some Mogwai fan once said that some of their songs sounded quite similar to Metallica without vocals. I can't really tell because I don't care for Metallica ( :p ) but Mogwai are wonderful. If you like them, similar groups include Explosions In The Sky, Mono, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, maybe also Sigur Rós, My Bloody Valentine, Bardo Pond...hmm. Or maybe Slint. Balton should have mentioned them (and Tortoise) when talking about David Pajo's (in other words, Papa M's) former bands, but instead he chose to mention the far inferior Zwan and shall be exposed to the last Limp Bizkit single for the next few days. Although, he shall be forgiven because he mentioned the first two words that appeared in my mind when reading your jazz question (i.e. "Miles" and "Davis"). Unfortunately, I know even less about jazz than I do about Metallica (even though I prefer it by, erm, miles... bad semi-unintentional pun, indeed.), so I won't be of any real help here either :p

(Btw, Balton: Franz Ferdinand was the heir to the Austrian throne who was shot in Sarajevo in 1914. His assassination was amongst the events that triggered (not caused, as some shallow weirdos tend to say) WW1.)

Fluid

Zen fascists will control you
Aug 2, 2000
Maastricht, the Netherlands
If you like heavily political rock, try Dead Kennedys. (I especially like California Uber Alles, Holiday In Cambodia and Soup Is Good Food), other than that I like Nine Inch Nails and Dead On Arrival a lot.

Also, I might recommend Bauhaus a bit but it might not exactly fall within your taste criteria.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Mxtrmntr said:
If you were to say that your favourite bands were Metallica, Guns N Roses, The Offspring, Bon Jovi, RATM, Millencolin and Hundred Reasons, I'd look at you weirdly and run away. Or so ;)

Err, anyway, my infinite wisdom and far superior taste (;), to avoid confusion) shall give you a few recommendations nontheless. I remember that some Mogwai fan once said that some of their songs sounded quite similar to Metallica without vocals. I can't really tell because I don't care for Metallica ( :p ) but Mogwai are wonderful. If you like them, similar groups include Explosions In The Sky, Mono, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, maybe also Sigur Rós, My Bloody Valentine, Bardo Pond...hmm. Or maybe Slint. Balton should have mentioned them (and Tortoise) when talking about David Pajo's (in other words, Papa M's) former bands, but instead he chose to mention the far inferior Zwan and shall be exposed to the last Limp Bizkit single for the next few days. Although, he shall be forgiven because he mentioned the first two words that appeared in my mind when reading your jazz question (i.e. "Miles" and "Davis"). Unfortunately, I know even less about jazz than I do about Metallica (even though I prefer it by, erm, miles... bad semi-unintentional pun, indeed.), so I won't be of any real help here either :p

(Btw, Balton: Franz Ferdinand was the heir to the Austrian throne who was shot in Sarajevo in 1914. His assassination was amongst the events that triggered (not caused, as some shallow weirdos tend to say) WW1.)

I was considerign to mention gybe, sigur ros etc. but then DFB likes metallica and guns'n roses so you cant shock him away from the wonderful world of real music. ;) I suggest taking my post as phase 1 and mx' post as phase 2.

DFB

Creeping Death
May 25, 2003
England
Visit site
And what is wrong with my taste in music??? :eek: Honestly... :lol:

anyway, thanks for suggestions, keep em coming, ill try and get as much of it as possible