Bloody Hell....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KiloDelta

Rogue
Feb 14, 2000
Toronto, ON
system specs:

P3, 667, 64 megs RAM, TNT2 m64 32 meg videocard, totally defragged HD.

problem:

Deus Ex runs at 3 frames a second in DirectX and OpenGL. and this is with all the patches and promises that Eidos makes to boost the power of the TNT2 series of cards.

i feel like i've wasted 45 bux on this game.

any suggestions?

Software rendering tanks 2 seconds into the Intro.

KiloDelta

Rogue
Feb 14, 2000
Toronto, ON
medium textures/medium skins

16 bit colour

Overclocked card.

i know it sounds odd, but i am getting this insane framerate.

i'll try to throw a pic up soon.

Grimlock|PuF

Bill Hicks-like
Feb 9, 2001
London, UK
Visit site
I had similar problems w/Deus Ex on my PIII 933, 128Mb RAM, Overclocked TNT2 etc...It runs fine after about 30 seconds of churning in the levels, and takes about 10 minutes to load in OpenGL :) (about 4 in direct3d...)

I also have UT at 120fps in 800x600 :D

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
2 big problems:

You only have 64mb of RAM
You have an M64 card, which is useless for these games

But even so, I'm surprised that your frame rate would be suffering that much. Are you using updated video drivers?

KiloDelta

Rogue
Feb 14, 2000
Toronto, ON
money was an issue when i got the videocard.

but i'm saving up for the GeForce 3...

and my ram is getting quadded in the next few weeks.

Thanks for the tip

Thrakhath

LunarMancer
Mar 29, 2001
Kanagawa
Hey Grimlock, love your avatar! Saiyans rule! Cell's the greatest though, then Vegeta, then Gohan.

I found the DX didn't run very efficently, but that it pretty bad. Sorry, but I don't know what is up with that. Except for the TNT card.

dilbert101

Lurker
Apr 4, 2001
Visit site
A fix for the dilemma

I have a 650 mhz laptop with a Nividia 256 and found a similar problem (by the way the laptop has 128 megs of memory) so I tried running it in software mode not in D3D or OpenGL. I can only run the game in 800x600 but never the less it works at a playable framerate.

Also diff. between framerates in UT and Deus Ex, 'cause Deus Ex only uses the Unreal Engine not the UT engine so there are some problems and slowdowns that will not affect UT.

Hope this works for you

Zodi@c

Nov 15, 2000
The Netherlands, Maastricht
Sounds to me it`s one of those VideoCard problems. For best performance, you had better buy a card that Doo Voo :) But on the other hand, I have a GeForce 2 MX 64 MB, and I never ever had any problem with Deus Ex...

Zodiac

TwoHardCore

Feb 1, 2000
Calgary, Canada
Did you upgrade Deus Ex with the patch? They included a small patch not long after the release of the game that did fix all the D3D issues I've been having... Since then, it's run flawlessly for me.

AMD Athlon 650 (first gen)
ATI Radeon 32 DDR
SBLive!Value
320MB PC100
DX8.0

I think I average over 40fps, but as I'm not sure how to check the FPS in DE I can't tell you for sure. But I bet the patch will help.