Termites in the wall (Rant)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Alright, so we've contacted our landlord, and she still hasn't done anything to talk to the association of our complex (who are supposed to handle any termite infestation, since it will affect multiple homes), it's been well over two weeks and I've become extremely frustrated because I cannot afford to have the house gassed. I've confirmed that the species is a drywood termite indigenous to South Florida, and they are indeed swarming. They're coming through small holes in the ceiling (I've killed numerous swarmers and laced all my furniture with termicide), and there's almost nothing I can do about it. I might have to resort to malathion usage by soaking the outside wooden shingles in the chemical (they are moist from the rainfall and are likely the source of the infestation, since termites like easy-to-chew food). I have investigated the other room adjacent to mine and have not found any holes.

Anybody else have experience in dealing with these fuckers with anything short of a smartgun?
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kmTNObny3k[/m]

This is how I feel.
[m]http://youtu.be/2mvmHwCxw5A[/m]

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Try one of those sonic devices that (supposedly) repel pests. It might not work at all but at this point, I would at least try it.

And if the landlord isn't going to do her job then I say you start withholding rent.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The only way you are going to get her to do anything about your "problem" is this

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg3qj5I-28A[/M]

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The only way to get rid of those feckers is to properly gas the affected part of the building, which is going to include more than just your apartment. If your landlord won't do anything about it, take it higher up.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Yes and no. States/countries vary, but if a landlord refuses to perform repairs/etc there are some legal hoops you can jump through that allow you to withhold rent and keep your place

That may or may not be true (I haven't looked up landlord/tenant laws of various states/countries yet), but if it isn't in the contract, you are pretty much screwed.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
That may or may not be true (I haven't looked up landlord/tenant laws of various states/countries yet), but if it isn't in the contract, you are pretty much screwed.
Like I said, depends on the state/country.
Some quick googling earlier seemed to indicate that some things have to be covered/supplied by the landlord, no matter what the contract/lease says.
Usually that meant the place can't be falling apart, can't be infested and must include sources of heat/water