A G36k Project

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

N'kEnNy

Aug 1, 2003
I live here, Really.
www.ns-co.net
bigg36k.jpg

G36k Project
Intention
This project was undertaken due to 3 reasons.

1. Sentrystudio G36 is almost never used due to less than optimal Sights.
2. G36 is removed from many servers due to D3d error
3. G36 is a next-generation battle rifle that really deserves to be in Infiltration. Presented in a viable fashion.

Personally I'd say that I'm a 'fan' of the G36, to the extent one can be a 'fan' of an item whose sole purpose is killing people. The Sentry-Studios model is a good one, but the game implementation is somewhat lacking. In addition to that the "unique" combi-sight offered by the G36 is Clunky hand hard to use effectively.

Because SentryStudios doesn't want us messing around with 'their' weapons and models. Very understandable. This project was undertaken.

Overall Goals
The overall goal is to implement the G36 weapon system in Infiltration. I've chosen the G36k as it is not only a good looking, but tacticaly flexible. The G36k should also feature a set of attachments that make it a viable option when compared to all the other weapons already in Infiltration.

Some Tweaking should hopefully be used in order to make the G36k ironsights useful.

The list of G36k weapon features should include the following:
- Combi-sight. (3.5x and Aimpoint)
- Reflex Sight
- Suppressor
- Grenade Launcher
- Ironsights if necessary

Though personally I feel that Infiltration is already over-saturated with both grenade launchers and suppressors it has become a simple fact that a weapon MUST feature one of these things to be worthwhile. Or as in the case of the AKMSU or AKM a drum-magazine.

The end result should be a weapon that is hopefully similar to the current G36. Except that it is tactically flexible, not bugged, and features easy to use Sights.

Inf mod team
I'd ask you guys to help me along, but I must admit I feel rather bad for just leaving you guys with the AKM(S) model. Then traveling. Thus I intend to take a more active part in the development of this weapon.
To the point of learning how to code the weapon as necessary.

Onward to the first screens. The Green-Folding stock is a stop-gap feature that will be replaced. I just felt the need to make a quick-something to fill in the blank spot in my model. Obviously it isn't finished yet, and should be considered a Work in progress.

First Dev Version
-Clicky for larger version.

-G36k Side View

-Side View in Wireframe

-G36k closer Side view

-G36k Front view

Questions, Comments, and suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited:

N'kEnNy

Aug 1, 2003
I live here, Really.
www.ns-co.net
Quick update:
Finalized the stock
Did some tweaking here and there
Made the optical mount

Leaf sight basics created.

Ecale3:
Sure I might just do that. I'm in a hurry right now though, I'll drop in.

Blitzschlag:
The model currently has the typical 'insane' polycount for a WIP. Once I get down to tweaking, unecessary bits will fall away.
Besides, you never know if this model is going to go somewhere else in the future. Its easier to polygon shave a model, than to add detail to a model without any. (IMho)

Currently it weights in at a shocking 2,7k *ph34r* (with attachments etc) but there are many ways to decrease this count. *shrug* I'm not worried yet.

I'll get down to the rest of the attachments once I get back home.

Attachments

• g36k Second Edition Side View tweaked.jpg
    g36k Second Edition Side View tweaked.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 102
  • g36k Second Edition Wireframe and regular.jpg
    g36k Second Edition Wireframe and regular.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 60
  • g36k Second Edition Leaf sight.jpg
    g36k Second Edition Leaf sight.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

N'kEnNy

Aug 1, 2003
I live here, Really.
www.ns-co.net
Vega-Don & Corporal_Lib [BR]
Glad you liked it :) I think the G36 in the game doesn't do the G36 weapon system justice.

Regarding Flashlight and LAM: These were not part of the original plans, however plans are made to be changed. While finding a G36 specific flashlight wasn't hard (though it made for a rather unimpressive model if you ask me) finding a suitable LAM has been harder.
There are nearly no pictures of LAMs on G36s. While I guess any LAM would do, curstey of the RIS. I'm still having trouble finding an appropriate one.

Even though I model them, I cannot not promise adding them.

Photo OP
Time for a quick photo-op. To be honest there is nothing in particular thats new on the main model. There have been some tweaking done, but I'm still waiting with the polygon shaving and Culling.

The main body, forearm and such have undergone some of the classic unoticable changes. Changes that really matter in the long run. Polygons have been turned around, holes have been tweaked, and ineffective solutions have been altered as necessary. As noted, main polygon culling hasn't started yet.

The AG36 has been created, though I'm starved for good pictures of this weapon. Particulary its backside is sort of lacking. There seem to be very many versions of this weapon, which has made it a pain to model. (currently it looks rather plain)

EoTech Sight has been added, though it isn't finalized. I just felt doing a photo-op without having some sort of sight system would be rather silly.

Optics
Though my mission intent stated that I'd include not only the CQB type optics with the weapon but also the Dual-sight of the regular G36. I'm having some second thoughts. Mainly because I don't really see any current G36k pictures with this item.
Furthermore I'm guessing that in the near future the regular G36 will be fixed, or unbugged. I wouldn't want my weapon supplanting anything already in Infiltration.
I plan to speak with the Inf Mod team on this subject.

Onwards to the pictures -->
Questions, Comments, and suggestions are as always welcomed

Attachments

• g36k Third Edition Photo-op.jpg
    g36k Third Edition Photo-op.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 79
  • g36k Third Edition Photo-op Side view Close up.jpg
    g36k Third Edition Photo-op Side view Close up.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 71
  • g36k Third Edition Photo-op AG36.jpg
    g36k Third Edition Photo-op AG36.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 95
  • g36k Third Edition Photo-op suppressed shadows.jpg
    g36k Third Edition Photo-op suppressed shadows.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 101
  • g36k Third Edition Photo-op all in a bunch.jpg
    g36k Third Edition Photo-op all in a bunch.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 139

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
The pictured weapon is a G36K with the sight and rail setup from a G36c. Not a variant I'm familiar with, but certainly not impossible.

N'kEnNy said:
Because SentryStudios doesn't want us messing around with 'their' weapons and models. Very understandable.
Ha! Ahaha. Ha. Oh man.

N'kEnNy

Aug 1, 2003
I live here, Really.
www.ns-co.net
Keep in mind that RIS only refers to the Rail Interface systems. These can be attached on nearly any firearm. There are more than one fore-end for the G36k that is RIS capable. The best looking one is quite amazing. Unfortunatly its model complexity would be very high (to look good) and it is therefore outside the scope of Infiltration models. (without serious holes :/ )

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
N'kEnNy said:
Though personally I feel that Infiltration is already over-saturated with both grenade launchers and suppressors it has become a simple fact that a weapon MUST feature one of these things to be worthwhile. Or as in the case of the AKMSU or AKM a drum-magazine.
This probably sounds silly, but hows bout a Beta C Mag (them big dual 5.56 drum mags) for it? Personally i think there are too many suppressors in inf and a GL would look funny, and ATM there is only the AKM/AKMSU weapons with drum mags, there are no 5.56 weapons with them it would be interesting and a something almost completely new without it becoming a "Uber" weapon or a big whore gun, because the more powerful AKM would still be more favoured.

Just a thought...

N'kEnNy

Aug 1, 2003
I live here, Really.
www.ns-co.net
Time again for another Update.

Arethusa
Sometimes the infiltration forums just scare me. You are correct at every point. I didn't believe a variant like that existed until I came across the picture which is shown in the top of the thread.

Like I said, there are other RIS systems avaliable to the G36k. Some more sexy than others. I found that the one I personally felt looked the best (and seen used by the KSK) would be hard to model correctly for Infiltration. Theres also a totally new fore-end that I've seen here and there. Unfortunatly the pictures I've found weren't very good.

A compromise in other words. I still feel that the end result does look quite nice. Don't you agree?

Lethal Dosage
:hmm: How can I put this. I'd rather not, I've got a gut feeling that tells me it would be a bad idea. I'd say that in order to preserve the AKMs unique status a little longer, we keep the number of weapons with extended magazine capacity to a few. Besides imagine a weapon that is potentially more accurate than a AKM with a huge magazine capacity, the thought is scary. Particulary when used with scope, combine it with the fact that it operates like an Assault Rifle on the move, a light assault rifle at that...

Having a C-mag (or similar high capacity magazine) on a Squad Automatic type weapon like a RPK(-74), MG-36, or even L85-variant would on the other hand be much more apropriate.

In the end, I'm afraid it comes down to what the Inf Mod Team feel fits best. I'm afraid that my personal oppinion is that I'll be fighting teeth and claws for it not to happen.

Blitzschlag
Very kind of you to offer. If it becomes necessary I'd be glad to be saved the trouble of modeling it.
Then again it would be nice to have a real Squad-support type weapon in Inf.

For the Update
In a quite confident fashion I stated that reducing the polycount wouldn't be a problem. Fortunatly I was correct. *phew* Though it was looking a little bad at one point heh.

Note that the EOtech wasn't included in the calculations as the choice of optics/sights has not been finalized yet. The untweaked, unfinished, draft, unworthy EOtech weights in at around 200 polygons.

It still is a little high, but I'm not really worried. There are quite a few places I can easily remove a few polygons. It really depends on the animations. Final Culling will take place once these things are a little more clarified.

The end result? I'll let you decide that.

Edit: Added G36k + AG36 Polycount. Its rather high, but like mentioned before. Hopefully will not be a problem for the final model...

To do:
Poly shave and finish other attachments.
Decide on Optics

Skinning + Animating and whatnots.

Questions, suggestions, yeah yeah, you know the score.

Attachments

• g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count Comparison.jpg
    g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count Comparison.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 77
  • g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count 2229.jpg
    g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count 2229.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 59
  • g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count 1284.jpg
    g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count 1284.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 45
  • g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count 1284 close.jpg
    g36k Fourth Edition Poly Count 1284 close.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 44
  • g36k Fourth Edition 1432 with Ag36.jpg
    g36k Fourth Edition 1432 with Ag36.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
I agree, it looks good. As does your work; you did a very good job of managing those poly limits. I do, however, think you should focus more attention on bringing back some detail in the foregrip. That gets seen a lot, and when your limits are as tight as they are in UT, you absolutely need to take factors like that into consideration. Realistically, I think your best shot might be shaving a bit more off the stock, thought you know your model better than I do, naturally.

Also, any chance you might be able to do a G36c? There's lots of overlap work, so I imagine you could really use a lot of the same attachments (a few unique to each for balance and realism, perhaps). Infiltration is sorely lacking a real compact carbine, and the G36c is positively hot.

Arethusa

Jan 15, 2004
SS has rather clearly abandoned UT and everything related to it. The gentleman's agreemant that existed on not doing any weapons in the armory pretty much went up in smoke after the Bonus Pack was released.

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
N'kEnNy said:
Lethal Dosage
:hmm: How can I put this. I'd rather not, I've got a gut feeling that tells me it would be a bad idea. I'd say that in order to preserve the AKMs unique status a little longer, we keep the number of weapons with extended magazine capacity to a few. Besides imagine a weapon that is potentially more accurate than a AKM with a huge magazine capacity, the thought is scary. Particulary when used with scope, combine it with the fact that it operates like an Assault Rifle on the move, a light assault rifle at that...

Having a C-mag (or similar high capacity magazine) on a Squad Automatic type weapon like a RPK(-74), MG-36, or even L85-variant would on the other hand be much more apropriate.

In the end, I'm afraid it comes down to what the Inf Mod Team feel fits best. I'm afraid that my personal oppinion is that I'll be fighting teeth and claws for it not to happen.

Hey thats cool, i just thought that a high-cap 5.56 weapon other than the Minimi is needed. If your G36k will have half the attachments you've planned i'll use it as much as my AKM and my M16a2 (i know its an oldie, but a goodie)