HELP BADLY NEEDED !

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mpower68432

Hi there ! I have a pc with a Athlon 800 mhz,
256mb ram, c.labs annihilator pro (geforce 256 ddr) w/nvidia detonator 5.22 drivers (out of Creative web site, so it's not beta stuff, but final release), soundblaster live value. I have UT installed with the latest patch and when i try to run
UT, everything goes fine till the end of the intro trailer. Then when i press esc to get to the start menu (if i don't, the trailer just keeps on going and going), UT crashes back to the desktop with a "general fault" message.
The strange thing is that after the trailer, i get a screen with "PRECACHING" on it and this was something i never saw on my previous pc (a P2, 233mhz, 32mb, voodoo1) on which UT was working fine. I figured out the problem has something to do with what's going on when this screen appears, but that's just my guess. Has anyone had my same problem ? If so, how did you solve it ? Any ideas out there ??? PLEASE HELP !!!!!!! :-(

Insecta

Insectacidal
Jun 9, 2000
Switzerland
Exact same thing happened to me. You know what it was? The keyboard. If I changed the startup map to a game map, it would crash the second the keyboard was touched. That's why it crashes at the end of the intro, because you press Escape. It affected all my 3D games.

The solution? If you're using Workspaces/Seperate Users, then you will have to re-install your Userspace, or use somebody elses. Worked for me.

If you arn't using workspaces... Then??? Make them? Re-install windows?

Hope that helps

The Rat

Feb 10, 2000
www.games.calweb.com
Another thing to try...

Press ESC at the begining of the intro sequence. Works for me. Although I do not have the same setup as you do, but it is at least worth a try...

Best of Luck :)

bullet2.gif

*The Rat's Nest*
63.195.145.43:7777
http://WWW.BYTEFUL.COM

Mpower68432

First of all, thank you guys (Insecta and Rat Boy, and thanks to whoever will try to help me in future.) for the help ! I REALLY appreciate it, 'cause this problem with UT is really bugging me and, beside praying, i tried almost everything !
I tried anyway to press esc in every part of the intro sequence, but the result was the same.
As for the keyboard thing, i have many other games (using either D3D or OpenGL) and they all work fine. I don't use workspaces but i'll check if making them will help (i dearely hope so !!!).
One thing i would like to say is something about the official UT support staff (reachable at various phone numbers): even if i must say they were ALWAYS polite and tried to help, they came to the conclusion that the Creative Labs Annihilator Pro is probably a card NOT supporting D3D and that could be my problem. I thought this was a JOKE and therefore never asked them any advice anymore.
If anyone else has got any idea, please reply to this post, as UT on my pc still looks as far as Proxima Centauri with our actual technology: unreachable...
Thanks !

The_Dudester

Surfing the edge of underconfidence.
Feb 21, 2000
York/Norwich England
www-users.york.ac.uk
Well.. the PRECACHING thing has to do with the fact that Direct3D drivers (like the Geforce drivers) need to precach textures before you play a level. You didn't get this with the Voodoo 1 because that uses the Glide drivers, which don't need to precach.

It looks like UT is trying to load a level for some reason after the trailer finishes...no idea why though...

KOA

Jun 11, 2000
Tulsa,Oklahoma,USA
Visit site
I had a similar problem where I was playing UT fine for 3 months. I uninstalled windows reinstalled everything EXACTLY the same (same drivers, same hardware, etc...) and UT wouldn't run it would play the intro and then bomb out to the desktop the instant I touched the keyboard.

I eventually found that somehow my system had slipped into MS-DOS compatibility mode. Correcting that fixed my problem...

Good Luck

bullet2.gif

class Lamer : public Kamper { Lamer(KOA);}