Anyone notice a bunch of zeros lately

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Of course im talking about the server list for the 2k4 demo. Either the majority of the players have grown bored with the thing, or they have all moved on to onslaught. I spend most of the time in assault and i tell ya i seen 6 servers in a row with no one in them. Maybe i just caught the bad time of the day or something.

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
well, when UT2004 came out, a lot of people tried it, even those who hate the Unreal world. So for a week or so, you would see every server crouded. Some I guess just got bored, or dont have time.

I can guess, that when UT2004 final is out, it will be much, much more popular than the Demo.

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
Meh I tried assault after it first came out just to see what it was like, after I got the feeling of it, I realize it didn't have LG, IG, or the xloc and I stopped ;P

But yeah your right, in all honesty only the ONS servers seem full, and the few haxored insta gib servers. I guess people just really are enjoying the vehicles :)

Last edited:

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Assualt is just as good as it was in ut99 and will die the same way most likely....

Its only fun a few times per map usually... after everyone gets good the games actually get lame instead of better.

I cant wait to try the other 5 maps, which is a disapointment... i was hoping for like 15 maps or something, but with just 5 it will die faster.

Someone needs to start planning a AS-CB :) with atleast 5 - 10 more :O

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
The UT99 Assault scene still seems quite alive. On the unreal://utassault.thegamebox.net server, there's always people there playing the six built-in Assault maps over and over. I think the fun is in trying to attack the base in a faster time and figuring out little tricks to help get past the defenders more easily. There's also quite a few good custom Assault maps floating around out there as well...

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Yeah i remember playing some really cool user as-maps for ut99, but even they got old fast.

Im sure there will be enough people playing to find games, but i doubt there will be more than most of the other gametypes.

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
Major-Lee-High said:
Assualt is just as good as it was in ut99 and will die the same way most likely....

Its only fun a few times per map usually... after everyone gets good the games actually get lame instead of better.

I cant wait to try the other 5 maps, which is a disapointment... i was hoping for like 15 maps or something, but with just 5 it will die faster.

Someone needs to start planning a AS-CB :) with atleast 5 - 10 more :O
5 maps for ONS is not much, but the community will make more, and thats always a good thing. Some of the maps the community make, become classics in no time, and sometime, those are the most coolest maps.

I learned a lesson from UT days. Always save the maps you love to play, cuz now I dont have any form UT, since I deleted them, not thinking I wont remember the names of them. :( .. some of them I still remember, but some, are just lost. Hopefully I'll run across them someday. :) And I hope the authors make them for UT2004. :)

Major-Lee-High

Im a ranter, ignore me!
Jun 27, 2000
The Dark Tower
www.modcentral.us
Yeah there were a few ut as-maps i wanted to go back and get and couldnt never find :(

I think my thing with as is that its just to linear, there isnt really many ways to play it, and after everyone gets good it gets to easy to attack or defend on certain maps. A good team on convoy wont even let you get the first obj.... Its pretty easy to do and pretty hard to fight against too.

Bonzo_Dog

Feb 20, 2004
Assaults

the same thing could happen, in UT alot of assault maps are over very quickly now,because of (tricks or Cheat Aliases &keybinds)they are very skill full at using these MaxHammer Jumps even doing doubles &trebles,but in a way it has ruined the concept of Assault Maps.
With 2k4 i can see it going down hill, the game play is wrong totally wrong compared with UT,albeit that the vechiles and voice coms might just pull it through, if you browse these forums ,there are some guys trying to Convert UT into the UT2K3/4 Engine, way to go.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
That article sure did break it down, thanks Hal. I knew onslaught was the biggy here, but i didnt think it would be that big. And by god Assault better not die down like it did in UT, im looking forward to AS-Mothership. :(

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Major-Lee-High said:

Other 5? Where'd you get that idea? There are 10 ONS maps.

ONS-Torlan
ONS-Layn
ONS-CrossFire
ONS-Arctic Stronghold
ONS-Severance
ONS-Dria
ONS-Redplanet
ONS-Dawn
ONS-Frostbite
ONS-Primeval

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Cpt.Toilet.exe said:
That article sure did break it down, thanks Hal. I knew onslaught was the biggy here, but i didnt think it would be that big. And by god Assault better not die down like it did in UT, im looking forward to AS-Mothership. :(
Don't worry the assault community will grow at least as strong as the UT99 one.It's just a little boring to play the same map over and over during 2 weeks.With multiple maps it will be much better.But 5 is al ittle cheap though.
And assault seems to be a little difficult to map for so I won't expect custom maps before a while (except the crappy ones)

Yeah I'm a bit disappointed also to see Onslaught becoming the CS of UT2k4,with all the people going "OMG VEHICALS LOL".At least it will bring a new audience to the game,that's already a good thing.
The assault players are generally more serious and dedicated while ONS will attract the mass.

OMG GAMETYPE WARS LOL :lol:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
TaoPaiPai said:
But 5 is a little cheap though.
And assault seems to be a little difficult to map for so I won't expect custom maps before a while (except the crappy ones)

6 AS maps

AS-Mothership
AS-Convoy
AS-FallenCity
AS-RobotFactory
AS-Junkyard
AS-Glacier

Hopefully some of the guys like Willhaven, who did some unbelievable UT AS maps will be interested in doing one or two more for everyone.

smattbac

Flak Monkey
Nov 28, 2000
Finland
www.multi.fi
Community maps

Juguard said:
5 maps for ONS is not much, but the community will make more, and thats always a good thing. Some of the maps the community make, become classics in no time, and sometime, those are the most coolest maps.
It'll be interesting to see if there will be more community maps for ONS as it seems to be quite popular, than for example BR in UT2003.

But I still think that for every ONS or AS map released, there will be 10 DM maps released... Skilled mappers should really take the time and make some maps for other gametypes too, even if it takes longer.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
smattbac, there are not 5 ONS maps, there are 10

hal said:
Other 5? Where'd you get that idea? There are 10 ONS maps.

ONS-Torlan
ONS-Layn
ONS-CrossFire
ONS-Arctic Stronghold
ONS-Severance
ONS-Dria
ONS-Redplanet
ONS-Dawn
ONS-Frostbite
ONS-Primeval

I think that there will be plenty of ONS maps as they are probably going to be among the easiest to map for. Lots of terrain, some meshes, and a skybox.

smattbac

Flak Monkey
Nov 28, 2000
Finland
www.multi.fi
Was I saying that it was only 5? I read you the first time. :)

I think that there will be plenty of ONS maps as they are probably going to be among the easiest to map for. Lots of terrain, some meshes, and a skybox.
Mappers don't just shape the levels, they shape the gameplay too. And that takes time, it you really want to get it right. I think. Or mappers just get lucky. What would I know, it's not like I've made a lot of non DM maps.. :eek: