Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Der Amerikanische Freund. Exceptionally well acted, with Bruno Ganz and (the unusually restrained) Dennis Hopper standing out of the fantastic cast, and filling out their characters brilliantly. So far, my second favourite Wenders movie (after "Der Himmel über Berlin"), which at times felt as if heavily influenced by Hitchcock, especially the two scenes in the metro and on the train. Additionally, the outstanding cinematography needs to be mentioned. 9/10

A Single Man. In Tom Ford's 1962 everyone dresses well. I found the over-stylization to bother me sometimes, the colour changes could and should be more subtle. However, that does not take away from all the things that are right in the film, and of those, Colin Firth's acting stands out. The loneliness of his (and Julianne Moore's) character can be seen and felt in every scene. Then there's the score, the excellent script and the camera work. And of course, a political message, which is handled and brought across just right. A very strong directorial debut. 8/10

11'E 10 Kala. More than a pleasant surprise. Istanbul is changing, and when the owner of the apartment building decides to adapt and profit, the tenant Mithat sees his "collection" of old newspapers and other assorted stuff threatened. He enlists caretaker Ali to help him save it, and while their current lives are much more similar than it at first seems, they're of very different character. Both are also developed in distinct ways: Ali leaves the city quarter for the first time, encountering an entirely new world, while the viewer learns that there's a lot more to Mithat's background than visible. Remarkable in many ways, and definitely worth seeing. 9/10

Uzak Ihtimal. Tranquilizing. An story of a love that can't be, unconvincing, because the film never lets the viewer on just what the muezzin and his Catholic neighbour see in each other. At first, all they share are some seconds in front of their flats, later on, they meet more often and longer and spend the time being silent at each other. I understand the intention, but can't see any merit in the realization. The film further suffers from the at times noticeably bad acting on behalf of the male lead and the overly slow pace of just about everything. 3/10

Soul Kitchen. Disappointing. It's trying hard to be funny, and it's not. It's predictable, it's filler material, one of its main features are montages, and at times (and increasingly often in the latter half), it's tasteless. Hey, there's even Udo Kier in it. When there was a chance to further develop characters, the film let it go away and rather took a shortcut into the same old cliché. Maybe I really expected too much from this, but maybe it just really is average TV material. Loved the credits though. 5/10

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Resident Evil: Afterlife

Slow motion sequences were overplayed, was fun to watch, but that's about it. Cliche scare sequences, choreography seemed a little ridiculous, broke canon with the series and was just a pile of dogsh*t.

2/10

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Last Airbender (3D)- 2/10

Shyamalan's last films have been getting worse and worse as far as storytelling goes; at least in my opinion.

So when I went to see “The Last Airbender” I was hoping that, because this is based on someone else's story, there may be a change in the films he is making.

But, when I walked out of this flick I wasn't even disappointed; I was depressed.

This flick is a crock of sh*t which just about rivals “The Golden Compass” as some of the worst fantasy storytelling on film.

As far as the use of martial arts goes as a stylistic mechanism; it’s rubbish. All the allusions to the life of the Dalai Lama (which I assume are in the original story) are garbage.

The script writing is generally abysmal and the dialogue, particularly when used to set up the back-stories, is f***ing appalling.

The acting, by and large, stinks. Perhaps that is because the actors didn’t have great dialogue (or anything else) to work with.

Generally this movie is crap beyond belief and I don’t know why Hollywood producers keep throwing money at this guy and get him to make films based on his own scripts. A few interesting visuals and 3D glasses couldn’t save this dog from a slow and agonising death.

I am on the verge of emailing Shyamalan and demanding the two hours of my life back that I put into seeing this rubbish because I made sure I stayed for the end titles so I would know exactly who was to blame for the pile of film turds.

There is a film coming out soon call “Devil” which is one of his stories but scripted and directed by someone else. I may go and see it just to prove that no one else can totally f*ck up a story like he can.

So I’m asking you to please go and see this film and prove me wrong….. at least that way I would feel better about myself for having gone to see it in the first place.

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
My brother went to see it and I had to go with him and yeah, the dialog was abysmal. So was the pacing. At certain points it moved ridiculously fast (like when they decide to come with him in the beginning. No "you sure? Could be dangerous", nothing...) but at other points they took their sweet time explaining the young quasi evil fire guy's backstory over and over.

The CGI special effects were nice to look at. Only the CGI though! E.g. when the bald kid was casting his wind spells the cgi-dust-whirls looked alright, but the girl's hair didn't move at all although she was standing right next to him.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Matrix 2 3/10

No. 1 was always going to be a hard act to follow and this isn't an Empire Strikes Back entry in the sequence.

Hugely misjudged pacing with the long sojourn in Zion at the start killing the momentum. I'm not sure that we really needed all of the backstory. Sometimes it is better to hint than to reveal (especially when all that does is to underscore the basic absurdity of the scenario).

Things pick up a bit once the action gets going but it really is just a sequence of set pieces, each of which seems to value motion over tension.

None of the later scenes is without merit but the sum of the whole is less than that of the parts.

Matrix 3 5/10

Somewhat better than the previous entry, things move along at a reasonable pace and tension is handled better than before. We still have some scenes overstaying their welcome, especially in the Zion battle - there is a tendency to dwell on effects shots of tracer fire into hordes of the machines. Gets a bit boring after a while.

There is some self-plagiarism, the entry to the Merovingian's lair essentially repeats the entry to the Federal Building in the first film - just not as engagingly.

In Bruges 7.5/10

Not entirely an easy watch but one of those films that should be on everyone's list. I generally find Colin Farrell annoying to watch but he fits the part in this production. Despite being the butt of the joke, Bruges is a star here, the E.S.T.-like soundtrack is great and the cadence spot on. In places, laugh-out-loud funny but oh so dark.

Vampire Journals 1/10

There was a reason that this sub-Anne Rice rubbish was on at 2am. Note to self: Just because you can set the DVR to record stuff at 2am, doesn't mean that you have to.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
On top of all that, the manner they had portrayed Zion felt like a huge dissapointment.

Matrix 3 suffers from serious cgi overkill. Especially the robot invasion sequences. I was bored out of my mind.

5th Element

How is this movie not loved by everyone?

3842622_std.jpg

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Yes, she knows it's a multipass. Anyway, we're in love.

Back to the Future 8/10
Back to the Future 2 7/10
Back to the Future 3 7/10

They're all very fun movies but the future and western scenarios of 2 and 3 lack the nostalgia (by proxy. I wasn't alive in the 50s) factor of the first movie.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
The Town - 9/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0840361/

Movie of the year right here. Ben Affleck has completely turned his career around with Gone Baby Gone and now this. The man has serious talent, which is surprising because in the past he was laughable in movies such as Gigli.

This movie kicked so much ass it was unbelievable. The bank/armored car robberies were intense, the acting perfectly acceptable and even GOOD, the Boston atmosphere = priceless.

Final act was one of the most original heists I have ever seen. Taking place in none other than

Fenway Park

Perhaps it affected me more because I was just there this past year, but at any rate, it was a pure joy to watch.

Definitely placing Ben Affleck in my favorite directors list after this one.

PeterVenkman

May 12, 2008
Southern California
The Town - 9/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0840361/

Movie of the year right here. Ben Affleck has completely turned his career around with Gone Baby Gone and now this. The man has serious talent, which is surprising because in the past he was laughable in movies such as Gigli.

This movie kicked so much ass it was unbelievable. The bank/armored car robberies were intense, the acting perfectly acceptable and even GOOD, the Boston atmosphere = priceless.

Perhaps it affected me more because I was just there this past year, but at any rate, it was a pure joy to watch.

Definitely placing Ben Affleck in my favorite directors list after this one.

It was surprisingly not bad for a Ben Affleck movie. I had a hard time caring about any of the characters, but it was not boring to watch. To say that this movie is best movie of the year though, especially with Inception still in theaters, is quite a stretch.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Well my movie of the year comment stems off of the excitement of having just seen it. I didn't mean it quite literally, and I haven't given much thought to what actually is the movie of the year.

Inception was great, but I prefer the more down to earth "The Town." Just my opinion of course. :)

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
The Nines - 8/10

Very unusual film that reminded me of some elements from The Trueman Show and Vanilla Sky.
Intriguing storyline with a very surreal backdrop make this flick one of the more interesting movies I've seen recently.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
The Dark Knight- 9/10

Brilliant movie. Brilliant story brilliant script. Heath Ledger. What more needs to be said?

Always worth watching.

the-joker-1.jpg

"Do I look like a guy with a plan?"

The Spiderwick Chronicles-7/10

A well told kids story with some pretty flashy CGI creature effects and
clever use of one actor to play twins

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind - 8/10

Well , this was a surprising and unusual take on a bizzare love story involving a very serious (and excellent) Jim Carrey and a rather sexy/devil may care Kate Winslet.
The film won an oscar and a ton of other awards and nominations for good reason.
This film is over 6 years old but I'd never heard of it until a couple of days ago.
Very watchable.

Triangle - 8/10

Great popcorn movie that will keep you wondering wtf is going on right until the closing credits.
A very dark and sinister version of Groundhog day for the unfortunate Melissa George who stumbles upon a nightmare scenario, along with a bunch of friends out on the open sea aboard an old cruise liner.
Gripping storyline.

Defendor - 3/10

Very poor outing by Woody Harrleson who tries to utilise his 4 seconds behind the rest of the world persona to portray a socially stupid misfit, hell bent on being a superhero to clean up the streets of the city.
Tries hard to be funny yet serious and the two styles struggle with one another throughout the whole movie.
Nothing particularly memorable here and Woody Harrleson really needs to stop type-casting himself and branch out into something a little more serious.
Poor.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Galaxy Quest 9/10
Great, fun parody that shows great respect for what it's making fun of. It's just a joy to watch :). I wish more parodies were like this instead of these stupid "hey look, it's the iconic scene from that movie but with weed! ololol" movies that have been coming out in spades over the last couple of years.