Make UT2007 on PC and next-gen consoles online compatible with each other?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Make UT2007 on PC and next-gen consoles online compatible with each other?

• Total voters

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Just a thought, since it would GREATLY increase the number of players that you can play with at any given time and therefore we would have a much larger community. If UT2007 is going to be the same game on all consoles then why not? (assuming the game does not get dumbed down for the console to be able to play on a controller). Obviously we know the PC players would pwn the console players (unless they get a USB mouse or something which I hope they realize is important). But it wouldn't be a problem since UT2007 now has a built-in matchmaking system so you always find similar skilled opponents so that you always have a fun and close game :D (one of the reasons why Halo 2 did so well is because of the matchmaking system).
EDIT: NFSU1 has done it before for PC vs PS2 and it worked out perfectly (so its been done before).

What's there to lose assuming nothing gets dumbed down?

Last edited:

gades

The Grudge Master!
Nov 20, 2004
Behind you biatch!!
Besides potential platform combatibility issues, there's one problem I see. Those console players who don't play with a mouse will be at a HUGE disadvantage compared to the rest of us.
:cool:

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
How can someone using a controller be competitive against someone using a mouse?

I just don't think it’s possible.

The_Head

JB Mapper
Jul 3, 2004
UK
www.unrealized-potential.com
Who cares if its not competative. It servers them right for buying it on console not on PC where it belongs. However I would like to own all my console loving freinds. So I voted the second choice

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
iron12 said:
How can someone using a controller be competitive against someone using a mouse? I just don't think it’s possible.
I agree... I think FPS are not so fun in consoles... These games were invented to play in PCs... :D
A mouse+keyboard can't be beaten by anything...

I voted the 3rd option...

Last edited:

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Keep it only Xbox 360 vs PS3 online-compatible with each other, not PC.

Haha, now what are the odds of that ever happening? ;)

Anyway, I voted no since the above option isn't realistic. If I ever decided to buy a FSP game (not necessarily UT2k7) for a console, I wouldn't appreciate having to play against PC users...that'd be unfair and renders the console version's multiplayer features somewhat worthless.

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Majik- said:
Haha, now what are the odds of that ever happening? ;)
Why not?
Majik- said:
Anyway, I voted no since the above option isn't realistic. If I ever decided to buy a FSP game (not necessarily UT2k7) for a console, I wouldn't appreciate having to play against PC users...that'd be unfair and renders the console version's multiplayer features somewhat worthless.
Bullet10k said:
But it wouldn't be a problem since UT2007 now has a built-in matchmaking system so you always find similar skilled opponents so that you always have a fun and close game
Read the first post next time ;)

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
Personally, no, I don't want, nor do I expect it to happen.
  1. Some one using a Gamepad has it much harder unless they add compinsation, which would cause balance issues
  2. I don't think the Xbox networking features for games actually use IP directly, but a special layer Microsoft made to go over the Xbox Live network
  3. No idea on how Sony will implement it, probably the same problem

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Bullet10k said:

Xbox Live and the PS3 online network compatible...?

Read the first post next time ;)

I did read the first post, but what difference will the matchmaking system really do? If the (lesser skilled) console players are basically forced to use it just to find a fair fight, then they might as well just play strictly against other console players, where they will have more even odds.

Seriously, picture yourself as a console player and you happen to be totally new to this game (remember, this is only the second UT title to appear on consoles, and most likely most haven't even played UT for the PS2). Once you're ready for some online UT action, you'll notice that you're pitted against people on the pc, whom have been playing UT for years, and now the learning curve that was supposed to be more newbie-friendly is steeper than ever, because basically regardless of what skill-level your foes are at, they'll have an advantage over you.

What I'm getting at is that you seem to fail at seeing it from the console players' point of view. They are likely to have a slightly different playing experience, even though the content may be the same, and it wouldn't be fair to match these up with the experienced UT players that have been playing this series like forever. And vice-versa it may also change UT online gaming for us, the pc gamers, as we know it. For the better or the worse? Well, we'll see more players, sure, but I doubt the impact on gameplay will be positive.

You cannot cross the two worlds..."you are killing independent George!". ;)

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
These new consoles can have USB KB and mouse(or so i heard, for the PS3 atleast)

So balance issues become moot as they'd exist anyways.

SiN-BiN

Aug 21, 2004
Firecrack speaks the truth, u can already get mouses and keyboards for X Box now.

FireCrack

May 25, 2004
The main 'adjustment' for controllers seems to be an auto aim, so why not just add an "auto aim" server setting. If an xbox or ps2 with only controllers attemts to connect to a server with autoaim disabled a message will popup along the lines of.

"This server has autoaim disabled, it has been detected that you are playing with an Xbox 360/Playstation 3 controller. This setting optimises this server for those with keyboards and mouses and by joining this server you may put yourself at a disadvantage"

And this would default off if a keyboard is detected and on if one isn't.

Last edited:

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
Its a moot point for Xbox 360 any ways, as Xbox Live doesn't allow for this in the first place, and I don't see this happening with PS3 either.

ExiT

hella lurker
Mar 14, 2003
uhm...
www.planetunreal.com
Controlers will NEVER be good as a mouse. The 'adapters' that try to emulate a mouse on consoles just aren't good enough.

This is a marketing issue. Developers don't want to divide their market. If you make an FPS game that has mouse support, people who don't have the mouse are going to get owned in MP so bad they will want to quit.

The single-player aspect would have to choose between favoring controller or mouse for difficulty. If its tuned for the controller, the mouse people are going to blow through it and get bored, and if it's tuned for the mouse, it's going to be impossible for the controller people. And it wouldn't be a wise business decision to make a game that required a $30 set of peripherals to play.

The only answer to this problem would be for Microsoft to make a KB and mouse the Xbox's primary controller. This might be be innovative, but too risky when they have two huge competetors as it may alienate audiences (such as kids) who think the kb+mouse is too technical. And they have announced how the controller is going to be already, so this isn't going to happen.

I wish consoles would move to keyboard and mouse; it would open them up for strategy games and hella improve MP gaming for communication. Being a PC fps gamer, trying to play fps games on the xbox frustrates me, and I feel like I'm missing a lot of decent games because of it. But console companies have been doing it 'the other way' for 20 years now, and I doubt it'll occur at all in this generation.