!!! WMP Contest Discussion !!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Postal

I apear to have lost my pin.
Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
!!! WMP Single Weapon Contest !!!

<Updated 20040130>

Grand Prize a 50 dollar gift card(or something like that, we apparently can't send cash or something, but dont worry, you will get that amount somehow).

Second place is 25 dollars from Doc. Wong.

Rules are as follows:

1. Only 1 weapon may be submited by person or group. Only the first submited verson will be accepted. The entry must be previously unreleased.
We want new content, not recycled old junk.

2. The weapon will be open sourced, and will be sent in with decompiled source, and a working copy. We will look at the code, and part of it will be for judging. But all entries eligable to win will be put in a WMP pack and released. If we cant put it in the pack, you cant win, got it?

3. Entries must be under a meg in size compiled and running(we want to keep the size of the WMP pack 56k friendly, come on, you dont need a whole meg for 1 weapon). This does not include the source required for rule 2.

Unlike other competitions, substance over style. A nice model wont hurt, but we will be judging more on technical merit and clever coding than spectacular skins and perfect models (so you cant win if you've got a crap weapon using a pretty model ) We understand that its hard to stand out using stock content, but we also dont want a 90 meg zip for a singe weapon.

Oh, and after the competiton, we dont care if you use that weapon on other mods, etc, we just want new content for the WMP pack. Note, we didnt say you cant use it afterwards.

And Yes, we are flexable on the rules with in reason, if I am informed in advance.

Once the Pack is released, the community gets 2 weeks to vote, then I make the final decision based on the community vote(I will probable go with it, unless theres some major flaw with the entry, etc{it is my money}). Doc. Wong will pick who he thinks his $25 should go too.

Deadline date is the last day of Febuary.

Now get cracking.

Oh yea, 1 last thing. The contest will be cancled if less then ten (10) entries are submited.

Please reply to this post if you plan on entering. I will look into raising the stakes, and if enought people ask, I will lengthen the deadline.

Submission details. E-mail a working copy of youre weapon with instructions, and details on who made it to Postal0311@Boo.Net Also include youre decompiled source. Have the source ready to be compiled with the Package name WMPContest.u

Allright, bad news, my e-mails down. I will update as soons as its working.

Last edited:

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Just to clarify some stuff:

1) If its not obvious, you cannot 'cheat' and enter a weapon youve already made and put out. The idea here is for everyone participating to create something new for this weapon pack, not recycle old junk ;)

2) Open source or not, were still gonna take a peek at your code. And dont think we cant, because we can :) But, to save us the trouble of 'haxoring all ur stuff,' please send entries with the uncompiled .uc's

3) Unlike other more high stakes competitions, we would prefer substance over style. A nice model wont hurt, but we will be judging more on technical merit and clever coding than spectacular skins and perfect models (again though, they dont hurt, just dont expect to win if youve got a crap weapon using a pretty model ;) ) We understand that its hard to stand out using stock content, but we also dont want a 90 meg zip for a 13 weapon pack, ya dig?

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
<Edited to remove redundent statements>

Yes, Substance over style, I would rather see a cool new weapon using the AR model, then a perfect copy of a M16 with the AR code. We don't care if you're weapon is the Insta-Kill or a Super-Warp BubbleGun Blow-Job Gun; if its a spear or a Gattling Laser, we want something cool.

Last edited:

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
Postal said:
Doc, let me clarify again.

Yes we will look at the code, and part of it will be for judging. But all entries eligable to win will be put in a WMP pack and released. If we cant put it in the pack, you cant win, got it?

Yes, Substance over style, I would rather see a cool new weapon using the AR model, then a perfect copy of a M16 with the AR code. We don't care if you're weapon is the Insta-Kill or a Super-Warp BubbleGun Blow-Job Gun; if its a spear or a Gattling Laser, we want something cool.

Oh, and after the competiton, we dont care if you use that weapon on other mods, etc, we just want new content for the WMP pack.

Count me in. I got a model in the works, and with a bit of help from the WoD community, I think I might be able to get it ready in time.

Mr.Mitchell

Sep 5, 2001
the Netherlands
home.ict.nl
EvilDrWong said:
1) If its not obvious, you cannot 'cheat' and enter a weapon youve already made and put out. The idea here is for everyone participating to create something new for this weapon pack, not recycle old junk ;)
How about using a UT1 weapon I made and make a UT2k3 version of it?

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Mr. Mitchell, we are not going to be too picky, we just dont want something like, for example, the U4e Team entering the bubble gun, or . . . well basicly, if you released it previously for UT2k3, we dont want it. Ports are allright, in fact, if you want some good ideas, look at some of the old U1 mods.

Postal

Nov 14, 1999
WoD.BeyondUnreal.com
Sure, I would love to hear it. Hold on to it, I will put out submission details when we are closer to the deadline date.

So what is that 5 enties?

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
ive been thinking,maybe a cool weapon would be the flametherower with a different alt. fire,similar to the goop guns alt fire.charge up a big glob of napalm,and let it fly at your opponent.

Smoke39

whatever
Jun 2, 2001
EvilDrWong said:
and CiD's custom user title clearly states that he is on offense. ;)
I don't know why, but this made me laugh out loud. :lol: Oi, I'm tired...

Status
Not open for further replies.