Ballistic Weapons vs. U4E

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which mod do you think was better in their respective times?

• Ballistic Weapons

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • U4E

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
For their times, which one do you think is the best overall?

Remember, U4E and Ballistic Weapons were made with a huge gap of time between each other, of course. So remember that when you vote.

Personally, U4E for me. While it may not have half of the features of Ballistic Weapons, it had some pretty imaginative and awesome guns that I have not seen the equal of. Even today, I wish I could see some of the better ones or variants of them implemented in other FPS'.

Also, IMO, it definitely had a hand in starting the whole huge, high quality weapon pack per game tradition that UT seems to have.

Besides all that though, BW is better than U4E in almost every way.

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I don't know about ballistic weapons, for some reason I never bothered with that mod.

As for U4ET, hmmm... let's just say mostly crappy weapon design, but overall interesting effects. Like some of the melee weapons (axe, katana) and qsg, baby nukem, freeze gun iirc.

Blade_hunter

Unreal tournament mod dude
Jan 23, 2008
I never saw this thread before ....
I'd say they are both their pros and cons. but as far as best versions are concerned there is.
Unreal4ever for UT99 and ballistic weapons for UT2004.
They are quite different to be honest:

I mean U4e is supposed to be completely crazy, unrealistic and somewhat complete UT's aresenal with more or less inspired weapons from video games and movies with a few self creations like the fleshbomb, nuke dolls, teleporting katanas ....

Ballistic weapons emphasis into pseudo realism with a few realistic features in order to add depth in the weapon system, most of the weapons are near classical with customized real weapons with a few originalities. The mod distinguish itself with well made weapons in nearly every aspect, like textures, sounds, 3d models.

So which one have the most interesting weapons.
U4e have the most interesting behaviour and more original weapons, a few realish ones and that's it. The feeling is a lot about feel like classic UT but the 3d models are very basic, but it's better than having countless of retextured UT guns, the models are a bit below UT's quality.

Ballistic weapons have a lot of well made classical guns, they have a great feel onto them. You still have interesting stuff, gadgets and a few magical weapons. The models and sound design outclasses UT2004's by a long shot the customization options does allow for a more unrealistic gameplay.

It's personally hard to choose, but as far as I'm concerned I play UT2004 practically exclusively with ballistic while UT99 I do play sometimes with stock weapons.