Zbrush model creation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EvilEngine

GodMode
Mar 31, 2003
www.evilengine.net
Since we plan to use this app for work in the next engine in 2006, I thought it would be good to show what I have been working on for my portfolio while I take a break from weapon making for this mod.
Since the holiday season is over, and I am back in town, and my pc is finally working again I can spend a couple hours a night and practice some zbrushing that I know will be used alot this year. I posted a small pimp here at beyondunreals skincity forums here:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=168368

After I get several more hours in I can probably teach a class in our server so other TO modellers get the hang of this. Trust me, its very easy and when we start creating normal map source for the artwork it will be a neccesity.

Comrade Jerkov

You are in contravention...
Dec 23, 2005
Brittannium
That thing rules!

I much prefer that design to the Unreal 2 variety you spoke of in that thread. I've seen it said somewhere that they look like gigantic green gorillas in Unreal 2. They have none of the agility they showed in the first Unreal. All they had in U2 was to be able to have the living **** blown out of them without noticing...especially those with heavy power armour.

I'd hate to try and render 2million polys without something like a Cray, but that's wonderful work!

EvilEngine

GodMode
Mar 31, 2003
www.evilengine.net
Heres just a small update on the body. Excuse the holes in his forearms, thats where the blade units will be placed. He will have fully detailed dreadlocks as well. I didnt add them to this scene becuase I am doing them as seperate pieces. The body alone rings in at 5.5 million polygons, so this scene is over 11 million with two on screen. The arm blade pieces are well into 2 million and hair about 1.5.
Now before you guys get upset that I didnt make him all high tech looking, well for this first version I wanted a primitive, more fierce looking fighter skaarj similar to the Predator. I will have other versions with different types of armor and body types as well.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
My first thought was "Predator". I think the head could be a wee bit bigger in proportion to the body, otherwise this Skaarj kicks A$$! Makes me wish I could model so well...

ShitMonkey

Nov 11, 1999
Lebanon Pa. USA
Visit site
I agree. The head should be a little bigger. But who am I to say, I can't do it but you do great work.
surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

<grins> Remember guys that is only a western concept of style.

In EE's defence, Asian artforms regulary have smaller heads on character to demostrate height and size. Look at short people... what is the biggest thing on them in proportion to their taller counterparts? Their heads of course. Now look at an etreme example. babies have large heads in relation to the mass of their bodies.

In my opinion, EE's scale for the head (by eastern standards) is proportioned to a character that would stand eight to ten feet tall. A larger head, will make this creature appear smaller when not standing next to a reference character.

EvilEngine

GodMode
Mar 31, 2003
www.evilengine.net
Small update:
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1973127#post1973127

And it took me a day or so to see what Twrecks said about the head, so I rescaled it a bit to match the torso. Hopefully it looks better. I also have the first normal map render tests looking good, trying to find the right balance in compatibility. I wont be 100% sure on normal rendering until I have Ut2007 or a ue3 engine game to actually test with. Maybe someone might have knowledge of this so I can prep before the game is released. This knowledge would give us a huge advantage in the long run when we start the normal map rendering for TO's models. Best to troubleshoot through all the problems now before we get left behind. Luckily I think we have alot of experience gained right now, so we should do well.