MP3 Players

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
If you really wanted to get serious with this and turn it into a project, you could always do what I'm planning to eventually do; build a mini-ITX system to go in your car. Then, you mount a 7" touchscreen on your dash, install Linux on the system, load it with MP3's, plug the soundcard line-out into your stereo line-in, and voila! Bob's your uncle.

This also opens you up to some nice extras, like cheap GPS (all you need is a GPS antenna and some open-source software) and on-dash DVD playback.

Or you could just by a mount for your smart phone and connect it to your stereo. It does everything you just mentioned here and won't get stolen since you can walk away with it in your pocket.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I'm going to do this. I just bought a new car, but I don't get to pick it up till today and I didn't know you could do that. :)
Just make sure the stereo can do that as some brands have the USB port just so you can plug in an iPod/iPhone
I've been semi-following those little beasties and I can't help but wonder why they're not using mini-USB ports, tho it wouldn't surprise me if the mini-USB cost more per piece than standard size

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Gar. Mine still runs great even though on occasion it won't recognize that the thumbdrive is in it, which is fixed by yanking and reinserting
I don't blame the tech as the deck is 7-8 years old

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com

I know about the Raspberry Pi, but I'm not sure it's powerful enough for what I'd want to use it for. For my mini-ITX build I was going to go with a dual Atom board or an AMD Fusion board, which would far exceed anything the Pi can do.

Or you could just by a mount for your smart phone and connect it to your stereo. It does everything you just mentioned here and won't get stolen since you can walk away with it in your pocket.

I already have one, do that, and it works fine. But it's not enough. The screen is too small to be relevant while driving and there's not nearly enough storage. I could buy and mount an iPad instead, but fuck that.

Also, all you have to do to keep someone from stealing your CarPC is to use a case made of cold-rolled steel (i.e. they'd have to use a plasma torch to get it out) and mount it with security bolts (the kind that require a special tool to drill out.) Sure, they might still be able to get it out, but the amount of trouble would not make the end result (a mangled, broken bit of hardware) worth it. The touchscreen is a problem, but I've seen steel casings with mounts for those too. The whole point in theft-proofing your car is to make it a lot harder to steal from than the car parked next to it.

Last edited: