Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

togmkn

tog-em-kay-en
Jun 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Man, I bought L4D in November of last year, and JUST played it for the first time last night. Was fun -- hoping people still play it after the sequel comes out.

-n7-

May 12, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Anyone try out the Team Versus yet?

I hadn't even realized they'd finally added that till yesterday.

Once it finally found us another team to play, we had a pretty great game.

No ragers for the first time i can remember in ages, too. :eek:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Fun game :)

Quick question: is it me or the framerate dips when you have the flashlight on?

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I need to play with shader effects on medium and overclock to get good fps.

I have no clue why the screenshot came out on B/W, but it's easy to spot where I turn the flashlight off and on. Should such a simple thing lower the fps from 45 to 30?

Jackal said:
I assume you've got the latest video card drivers correct?
Not really. I had them, tested UT3, L4D, Stalker and uninstalled. I keep trying new driver releases but always end up reverting to the golden 174.74

Attachments

• flashlight.png
    flashlight.png
    709 bytes · Views: 13
Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Nah, that's completely normal. Ever since Source was updated to "The Orange Box Engine" and especially the improvements that came with L4D, the engine went through same major lighting overhauls. The flashlight is much more taxing on system, at least compared to the flashlight before.

Most people probably are just able to keep over 60fps with it on or don't notice the loss. If you have vertical sync off, drops in fps in source aren't nearly as bad as other games :cough: call of duty :cough:
If you're below 60fps (the GPU is under heavy load), the amount fps you lose with the flashlight really depends on whats in front of you and how many particles, objects and shadows come into play. Normally you lose about 10 fps with it on and you're under 60 to begin with. Once you're above 150 or so it makes a much more drastic difference because of the CPU limitation, but doesn't really matter since it's over 60 or your probable refresh rate.

Hence why you don't see all four players casting the same flashlight detail :lol:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Fartomancer bump.

I'm a hammer noob making a campaign for L4D2, it's nothing too fancy and currently very beta-ish (finale not done yet), bots are also functional (though WIP-ish..) But feel free to try it. If you didn't know, VPK (Valve packs) are toddler-easy to install, just drop the file in steamapps/common/left 4 dead 2/left4dead2/addons

[SCREENSHOT]http://s15.postimage.org/xotyuezt5/shot03.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[screenshot]http://s9.postimage.org/dkyb7tpvx/shot01.jpg[/screenshot]

[screenshot]http://s9.postimage.org/ggbeeotvx/shot02.jpg[/screenshot]

DOWNLOAD

Best experienced playing with a friend, excluding the bots from the group.

I am currently fixing anything not dying when they fall down among other things (a bug spawns you in checkpoint room after dying). Let me know if you are experiencing HOM's.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I must say... the thought of playing Left 4 Dead in a HOLP map is intriguing.

From my experience, it is the best creation time+visual/fun ratio.

Out of all the campaigns I've tried in a download spree, the best experience I've had was a "Orange" campaign. I was surprised, perhaps it is because of my UT roots?