Confidential Mapping Project

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
First of all, let me say hello to anyone who remembers me.

Hello.

I've been away from the forums for almost a year, but if things are still the same as before, then I'm sure I'll find plenty of help. Here's the deal:

I am starting an ambitious project that will involve, among other things, creating a deathmatch FPS map. I will not disclose the details in this thread, simply because this project is based on a new idea that copyright laws cannot protect. I will need a few mappers who are adept at a few major facets of map design. The ideal candidate will:

* be able to create a map based on certain limitations
* have an excelent feel for flow and strategy
* not tell anyone about the project

If you're interested, send me a private message with your e-mail address and I'll send you the details. If my dreams come true, and it's likely that they will, then the mappers I pick will have the opportunity to work for me when this project commences. Now pay attention, this is important. By sending me a private message, you agree to maintain absolute confidentiality regarding anything in this thread, and in any future correspondence regarding the project.

I hope that didn't scare anyone off; I just have to protect my idea. You know how it is. If you don't want to leave me your e-mail address, I'll understand. I'll get back to you via PM. E-mail would just be easier.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope to hear from some of you soon. Peace.

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
It's nice to be back. I'm kind of bummed that this thread got moved to mod recruitment. This project isn't realy a mod, it's bigger thanthat. It might not even use an unreal engine. But then again, I am looking for help with a project. I guess I just need to get used to this new category format.

Mychaeel

I figured the "Mapping" forum was for technical questions about mapping. If it's any consolation, there's still that redirect to this thread in the "Mapping" forum after all.

The "Mod Recruitment" forum was just lately renamed from "Recruitment" in order to more clearly distinguish it from something like a "Clan Recruitment" forum after it had been briefly swamped by a noticeable number of clan recruitment threads posted by people who would neither read the stickies nor take note of the fact that the forum is listed under "Unreal Development."

Anyway, good luck with your project; it sounds mysterious enough. :)

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
The REAL Mychaeel would have also pointed him to wiki's mod ettiquette.

Last edited:

Mychaeel

Actually, no.

I found that linking somebody to any of these articles after the fact is counterproductive. It took a while and many fruitless tries until I had figured that out. People generally don't even bother to read before they decide they have been mortally offended.

Smart posters would read those rants of their own accord before they venture to write a mod recruitment post (they are linked from the sticky thread in this forum after all). Really smart people wouldn't even need to because the things stated there are actually pretty obvious.

As for the ultimate novice's posting, I don't think it falls into the usual category of recruitment posts and it makes the distinct impression that he knows what he's doing (as opposed to most others who just think they know what they're doing), so I don't really think he could benefit from reading Mod Startups.

The ultimate novice

It's MY island!
Feb 14, 2001
Gator Country
Visit site
As much as I hate to perpetuate the blatent offtopicness in play here, I feel the need to clarify my intentions. I originaly posted this thread in mapping because I'm looking for people who realy know the intricacies of tastefull level design. Mod recruitment seems to be more focused on, well, mods. This is not a mod. This is something new and I know that the members of the mapping community will be most helpful. However, the redirect should get some attention, and I can allways just spam blast some mapping threads with unassuming links to this thread. :D (j/k) Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to get this thread moved again. I'm sure it will be seen wherever it is. Just belive me when I say that this is substantialy and fundamentaly more than a mod.

Maybe I can be more clear. I am looking for mappers, but not to recruit any time soon. That's still a few years down the road. I need creative input from experienced mappers that will help me decide upon my next course of action. Try to think of this as more of a mapping competition. No prize. No publications. The people most capable of creating high quality maps with very strict guidlines will however be the ones I contact first when it's time to start hiring. This whole thing might just flop in a year. I don't know. But if you have the skills and you don't even get the details from me, you'll regret it five years from now when this thing goes full swing.

I've ranted enough for now. Just PM me for the details. No obligation but confidentiality, nothing to loose.

Last edited: